Saints lose Walmsley and Paasi for the rest of the season.

Injuries or not, legal tackles or not, bans or no bans, I just think everyone is a bit lost with it all and I include the officials in that, as well as coaches, players and fans. There are incidents being compared against each other all over the place, sometimes they’re similar, sometimes they’re not and sometimes there is consistency with decisions and sometimes there is anything but. Even ex referees are at odds on social media and if anyone shouldn’t be confused, it’s them. 

It’s all a bit of a mess IMO and it feels like there needs to be some serious talks taking place between coaches, players and officials regards what we want the game to look like going forward. I hope to god we can get some sort of clarity for all involved going in to 2024 because it’s hurting the sport. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

In a statement in response, the RFL said: "Nobody wants to see injuries to players and we wish each of them the earliest possible recovery.

"We have listened intently to what the club has to say and we fully understand their position. We have also reiterated to the club that our approach to reviewing the incidents they refer to is consistent with all cases previously where clubs have cited incidents and alleged serious injuries to players.

"We assure all clubs that we will consult, consider and decide whether this type of tackle or technique is acceptable in our sport.

"As with any change to the laws of the game or to on-field regulations, we will undertake a thorough review with all stakeholders, including coaches and the laws committee, but any changes cannot happen in-season."

Copied from another post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Hence, shoulder/head and feet off the ground. I think that would counteract the type of tackle that Asiata used.

I love a good solid shoulder contact up-top. It was one of the things that brought me to the game as a boy. 

And many people will tell you that a shoulder tackle to the legs is how Rugby League should be played.

• Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

And many people will tell you that a shoulder tackle to the legs is how Rugby League should be played.

I reckon one that may be worth exploring is initial shoulder contact below the knee. It's banned for cannonball tackles but not as first contact. Not sure what the answer is but there's nuance in that point. 

• Haha 1

Paul Wellens has definitely got Saints fans back on his side after his comments today about the current dirtiest man in world RL John Asiata, hasn't he? 😎
How long will this last though?

Edited by Zilla Budgie
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It should be. Get down, head to the side, shoulder to the legs, and wrap tight. Textbook. The missile element is what made Asiata's tackles dangerous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

It should be. Get down, head to the side, shoulder to the legs, and wrap tight. Textbook. The missile element is what made Asiata's tackles dangerous.

I will stress again.  I think your concern is valid.  It is regulating it that I think will be the challenge. 

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I will stress again.  I think your concern is valid.  It is regulating it that I think will be the challenge. 

Laws always need a good drafter. I agree that wording and regulation will pose challenges.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I've seen safe tackles quite textbook with shoulder and wrapped arms around the lower leg particularly when chasing a player who's broke the line

Ah, okay. I thought you meant chasing down a player from behind.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zilla Budgie said:

Paul Wellens has definitely got Saints fans back on his side after his comments today about the current dirtiest man in world RL John Asiata, hasn't he? 😎
How long will this last though?

It's more than that , he's right,but he standing in a glass house throwing stones.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

In a statement in response, the RFL said: "Nobody wants to see injuries to players and we wish each of them the earliest possible recovery.

"We have listened intently to what the club has to say and we fully understand their position. We have also reiterated to the club that our approach to reviewing the incidents they refer to is consistent with all cases previously where clubs have cited incidents and alleged serious injuries to players.

"We assure all clubs that we will consult, consider and decide whether this type of tackle or technique is acceptable in our sport.

"As with any change to the laws of the game or to on-field regulations, we will undertake a thorough review with all stakeholders, including coaches and the laws committee, but any changes cannot happen in-season."

Copied from another post

Didn’t they change their approach to the over exuberance cards being handed out during the middle of 2022? 

• Like 1

The tackle on Paasi looks very similar to a chop block style tackle which is outlawed in American Football. Its obviously not intentional but to me it is reckless as he just throws him self at the lower limbs of the opponent with no intention to wrap his arms at least not till he is on the floor. That sort of tackle especially the one near the try line is a very fine line between been courageous with no regard for your own body to try and save a try and been what could possibly be an illegal tackle.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Didn’t they change their approach to the over exuberance cards being handed out during the middle of 2022? 

Yes but they pretty much changed the threshold probable red became a yellow and so on from memory.

Think outlawing a specific tackle after one game isn't really comparable though 

1 minute ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Yes but they pretty much changed the threshold probable red became a yellow and so on from memory.

Think outlawing a specific tackle after one game isn't really comparable though 

So they did, then? 

I reckon outlawing a tackle technique after four tackle “attempts” that has left one bloke on the brink of retirement and another questioning whether he wants to bother anymore is probably completely understandable. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

It's more than that , he's right,but he standing in a glass house throwing stones.

While I dislike the tackle and it is a tackle I don't think there is any malicious intent but what it dose show is Wellens Nimbyism considering Mcillvrey Wright and Cooper incidents and to confirm his classless diatribe he talks about his 8 year old son and junior rugby being affected by a legal tackle as ruled by the governing bodies. Very poor form Mr Wellens.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 players charged plus 1 caution so far this season for Saints. That’s a significant disciplinary problem. It’s almost James Bentley (early 22 version) or Liam Watts (most seasons) levels 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Jughead said:

So they did, then? 

I reckon outlawing a tackle technique after four tackle “attempts” that has left one bloke on the brink of retirement and another questioning whether he wants to bother anymore is probably completely understandable. 

That depends on if you consider it an unfortunate situation from a desperate tackle or an intentional reckless 'tackle'

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

That depends on if you consider it an unfortunate situation from a desperate tackle or an intentional reckless 'tackle'

I would consider four attacks all on player’s knees to be reckless, yes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Jughead said:

I would consider four attacks all on player’s knees to be reckless, yes. 

You've shown were you stand by claiming they are attacks, not everyone shares your view. The RFL said they will take on board the considerations of all stakeholders, do you agree they should listen to them all and consider all aspects? 

Or ignore them and outlaw a currently legal tackle without due consideration? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1