Workington (H)

horbury ram

Job done today and I don't think anyone can have any complaints about our status as League 1 Champions ....... Really glad we've avoided the play-offs - think there's some cracking play-off games in prospect and Workington shouldn't write themselves off by any means ....... they made it tough for us out there today ....... Plaudits also to  their travelling supporters - great bunch and the fancy dress just added to the atmosphere ....... hope it's not long before we play them again : In the Championship of course !!!

• Like 6

Tough first half and their try looked really good, but the defence was lacking and the gap wide open (as at Hunslet last week). Credit to Workington, they played hard and were unfortunate not to add further points in that period. The half time score of 8-8 reflected how even it was.

Ferguson might have only played about 15 minutes, but he spurred us on and with Town suffering some injuries and tiring, Dewsbury got on to the front foot and scored some excellent tries from Sykes, Restall (at last) and three from Gabriel, one Brad Graham style and the last one after a superb break from Bailey O’Connor, who sportingly passed to Gabes to give him his hat trick.

The Town fans let us know they were there with their chanting and fancy dress and were good to chat with in the Royal Suite after the match.

Congratulations to the team and coaching staff for (ultimately) a great season and finishing as CHAMPIONS.

• Like 3
Legs, Dews, Legs.

For most of the summer we live in a rural village in the middle of nowhere in Spain. 

Tonight we drove into the village square, horn blaring, chanting 'campeones, campeones, la la la la la laa.'

Didn't seem to mean anything to them. I can't understand, it worked when they won the World Cup a few years ago. Some people are so one dimensional. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thank god to the lot of you. Personally would have struggled big style if I had to wait three further weeks to attempt to win it at Donny. Been a bit chronky at times but I feel that as a group you have a great togetherness. You should all be very proud of your efforts. Massive well done. No mean feat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally a great result and the relief in getting over the line as Champions was palpable - if only I had been there to see it!!

Blooming Covid caught up with me last week just when I believed that i would manage to avoid it completely. Not being unwell but highly contagious I couldn't take the risk of passing it on to all the old gimmers who's lives I brighten every home match, so was forced to sit at home listening to the excellent HWD radio coverage supplemented by WhatsApp messages from the stands. The first half was clearly a tight affair and the thoughts of having to visit Doncaster for the final game wasn't heartening. Thankfully we improved and Workington understandably tired.

Well done to all the players and to the fans who have followed home and away this season. Next year will be a new challenge for the club and players - bring it on!

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

55 minutes ago, NickD said:

Just watched em.   Doesn’t matter now but a prize to anyone who can work out why Callum’s first half try was chalked off🤣🤣🤣

Only players I could see obstructing were wearing white and blue🤔

Took a couple of views but Ronan Dixon made contact with a couple of Town defenders. 

• Thanks 1

I slowed it down to see if I could spot anything, but when I replayed at normal speed I noticed Dixon make contact with an opposition player under the posts. 
Fair call by the ref, but didn’t think so at the time.

• Thanks 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.