Danny Addy

roversspud

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

As I’ve said before because it’s really important I applaud MC putting his money where his mouth is and I applaud the ambition of the club. But when you see the players we are being linked to if we get up then I’m afraid we are going to be firm favourites to come straight back down. But I guess with the extra revenue and TV money we would be better placed financially to go up again and maybe stay up. 

2 hours ago, Phil Briscoe said:

As I’ve said before because it’s really important I applaud MC putting his money where his mouth is and I applaud the ambition of the club. But when you see the players we are being linked to if we get up then I’m afraid we are going to be firm favourites to come straight back down. But I guess with the extra revenue and TV money we would be better placed financially to go up again and maybe stay up. 

This season or never but  with the players we have been linked with so far it will be straight down.Even Jones struggled to get game time with Salford.Ford  and Chizzy not up to it Moors Locky and Koppy retired.I do think Longstaff is ok pity he is not a stone heavier.And Springer could adapt.Only way we can get into SL is getting up this season and staying up next.Unless they decide to go with 14 teams and admit the two finalists.We are not certain to be one of them without improved form.

I seem to keep repeating these points but it's probably worth doing so again:

1) At the end of 2024 there won't be any promotion or relegation, not in the traditional sense anyway. It will be done by the IMG points scoring system. So there won't be a massive difference between finishing, say, 11th or 12th in that year. Quite a few people seem to be talking on here as if the bottom club will automatically go down still. Investing in LED advertising boards might be more beneficial than investing in the squad!

2). Those turning their nose up at signing over-30-year-old forwards perhaps don't understand the position we're in (and other Championship clubs who might get promoted for that matter). We're probably going to lose three or four forwards to retirement, we don't have much wiggle room in terms of overseas players, and there is a distinct lack of younger players at Championship level who could conceivably step up to SL - they just aren't there. Add to that the fact that we aren't in a position to offer SL contracts anyway. If people wouldn't want the likes of Massey/Watts/Addy that's fine, but we are going to need at least 3 or 4 new middles if we go up (and probably if we don't too), so who would they suggest?

It might be that if we did get promoted (and that seems a long way off right now!) a genuine SL forward or two might become available post-November, but we can't just wait until then with so many potential gaps to fill.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 3

Who said they wouldn't want Watts i think most supporters would like someone of his size for a couple of seasons.Can go along with Massey because he does try and put the effort in.Smith has not cracked any pots for a SL player dropping down i expected more from him.Addy not for me How old is he anyway he looked over 30 when wearing the Sheffield Eagles shirt in The Full Monty.

12 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Who said they wouldn't want Watts i think most supporters would like someone of his size for a couple of seasons.Can go along with Massey because he does try and put the effort in.

"This season or never but with the players we have been linked with so far it will be straight down", your comment two posts above. The forwards that we have been linked with and commented about on this forum are Watts, Massey and Addy.

I don't get this that they are over thirty malarkey. People in general are now younger and fitter than they were in the sixties for instance and even then people would say that forwards were a lot better when they reached thirty. Obviously some good 'young uns' would be OK thrown into the mix but you can't beat experience somewhere along the line. And it is really up to IMG what clubs have got to offer beyond 2024 and I think that our club is progressing well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I don't get this that they are over thirty malarkey. People in general are now younger and fitter than they were in the sixties for instance and even then people would say that forwards were a lot better when they reached thirty. Obviously some good 'young uns' would be OK thrown into the mix but you can't beat experience somewhere along the line. And it is really up to IMG what clubs have got to offer beyond 2024 and I think that our club is progressing well.

Physical capacity and muscle strength generally peak between 20 and 30 years of age and then start to decline [R]. This is partly due to the fact that the body isn’t able to provide muscles with oxygen at the same high rate it did before due to a drop in cardiac output and VO2Max [R]. This means muscles can’t repair as fast post-exercise. In fact, endurance has been shown to decrease by 15% per decade after the age of 30 [R]. In addition, muscle atrophy increases by 1% every year post-30 [R].

6 hours ago, eltel said:

Physical capacity and muscle strength generally peak between 20 and 30 years of age and then start to decline [R]. This is partly due to the fact that the body isn’t able to provide muscles with oxygen at the same high rate it did before due to a drop in cardiac output and VO2Max [R]. This means muscles can’t repair as fast post-exercise. In fact, endurance has been shown to decrease by 15% per decade after the age of 30 [R]. In addition, muscle atrophy increases by 1% every year post-30 [R].

Bit of mk677 will sort that. 

19 hours ago, eltel said:

Think I missed my peak between 20 and 30. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2