Vegas baby!!

47 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

"Sources" reads like clickbait to me, plus it is not about being "profitable for the clubs", it's a long term plan requiring investment - I seriously doubt the NRL aren't covering agreed costs here.

You are taking profitable out of context there and ignoring the previous line. It clearly means they don't want to be out of pocket and at a cost to the club, which is completely understandable.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2024 at 09:36, Damien said:

The boot is now on the other foot it seems:

The four Las Vegas-bound NRL clubs are reportedly calling for an urgent meeting with Peter V’Landys as confusion grows around players getting visas. 

The Broncos, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles will square off in a double-header on March 2, but the clubs are worried whether all their players will be able to enter America. 

The teams leave in less than a month for the matches at Allegiant Stadium and clubs are frustrated with the lack of information from head office on visas, medical insurance and training facilities in the US. 

Club bosses wrote to NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo on December 16 asking for a meeting to resolve the issues, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. 

The NRL reportedly indicated to the clubs for months that players could travel to the US on an ESTA, which waives the traveller from needing a visa, but that advice changed last Friday. 

The NRL emailed the clubs to warn that players who had been arrested could face challenges entering the US.

The email said players now have three options for entry and graded each approach: an athletes’ visa (most conservative); a visitors’ visa (conservative); and an ESTA (least conservative).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-news-2024-latrell-mitchell-fullback-south-sydney-rabbitohs-jason-demetriou-dragons-kyle-flanagan-shane-flanagan-team-news-selections/news-story/50df8c8bf2f82f3c0dc9db02c71eec8c

They're receiving bad advice, or at least making a real hash of communicating advice they're getting. This is a non-issue.

I travel to work in the US myself, employ people there and also have non-visa, non-US residents travelling to the US to do work there for very limited periods (like in this case). You can work in America on an ESTA, as long as your employer is based outside of the US and you are there for less than 90 days.

One complexity is that you need to be a citizen of an ESTA-qualifying country, in order to get an ESTA. Australia, New Zealand and the UK all are though. If there are any NRL players without either an Aussie, Kiwi or UK passport then they may need to get a visa... but I can't imagine there are that many of those across the 4 teams involved.   

18 hours ago, Damien said:

You are taking profitable out of context there and ignoring the previous line. It clearly means they don't want to be out of pocket and at a cost to the club, which is completely understandable.

Of course they don't want to make loss, but the article clearly says profitable - infering that is what their goal is here. Taken alongside the Visa nonsense, the whole thing just reads to me suspiciously like the over sensationalised rubbish SARL churns out.

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Looks like they are going down the previous RFL route on ticket sales, probably going to irritate quite a few people who've already bought them:

This, and the playoff semi last year is always good to remember when people are begging for the NRL to take over the UK game. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This, and the playoff semi last year is always good to remember when people are begging for the NRL to take over the UK game. 

People who beg the NRL to takeover anything outside Australia can be ignored on every topic, I find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 24/01/2024 at 11:57, Worzel said:

They're receiving bad advice, or at least making a real hash of communicating advice they're getting. This is a non-issue.

I travel to work in the US myself, employ people there and also have non-visa, non-US residents travelling to the US to do work there for very limited periods (like in this case). You can work in America on an ESTA, as long as your employer is based outside of the US and you are there for less than 90 days.

One complexity is that you need to be a citizen of an ESTA-qualifying country, in order to get an ESTA. Australia, New Zealand and the UK all are though. If there are any NRL players without either an Aussie, Kiwi or UK passport then they may need to get a visa... but I can't imagine there are that many of those across the 4 teams involved.   

Supposing you have a record, no matter how trivial? Bad enough when my local team played Toronto Wolfpack, blokes with a few mistomeaners got refused entry. We all know players have a bit of form.

Edited by newbe

4 minutes ago, newbe said:

Supposing you have a record, no matter how trivial?

If you have a criminal record, you will have to apply for a visa and your case will be treated on its merits. If its trivial, you'll get one. If it isn't, then to be honest that's your own daft fault not the NRLs isn't it?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Worzel said:

If you have a criminal record, you will have to apply for a visa and your case will be treated on its merits. If its trivial, you'll get one. If it isn't, then to be honest that's your own daft fault not the NRLs isn't it?

What's trivial to us may not be remotely trivial in the states.

Get a caution, once, for possession of any drugs, for example, and it's highly likely you won't get a US visa.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Get a caution, once, for possession of any drugs, for example, and it's highly likely you won't get a US visa.

Surely a caution is not a misdemeanour classified as a criminal conviction?

Any idea if drink drivers have trouble getting into US?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

A caution given on the spot can show up as a criminal record. Drink driving convictions are normally not included.

Beyond that you'd need someone with a level of expertise I don't have.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They have a waiver system in place for those who have prior convictions. I have no idea what’s required to get a waiver though.

I imagine that if a major US company requires particular individuals to help their company survive or to service equipment critical to the running of a factory waivers might be forthcoming.

If a US boxer wants to fight for a world title in the US and the non-US current champion has a prior conviction, a waiver may also be forthcoming.

I’m not sure NRL games would be considered important at all. Although the US government may consider it an exercise in US soft power to provide waivers to some players with prior convictions.

Edited by Copa

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

If you get done for drug possession you likely won’t get into the States without significant special pleading, agreed. But I don’t think that’s legally trivial (whether we care about drug use or not), and the NRL can’t build its strategic plan around people who pick up criminal offences. 

14 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

He asked nervously.

Planning a holiday SP, forget it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

So let’s pick go through a few of those comments.

1. “America's got a 340 million population, and if you just get one per cent of that population to be interested in rugby league, we will generate more revenue than what we generate in Australia out of broadcast.” - Are we seriously to believe that the interest of 3.4million US citizens will result in a greater media deal than what they obtain in Australia?

2. “There's 300,000 Australians that live in America, so even if we picked up 150,000 of them to follow and subscribe to watch the game, that's another $25 million a year in revenue” - So V’landys is theorising 50% of Australians in the USA will pay an annual subscription of approx $167. 

Going back to the first point, I assume V’landys is theorising 3.4m individuals at $167 per subscription comes to $567m. It’s ok to dream and get a media story out there I guess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

1. “America's got a 340 million population, and if you just get one per cent of that population to be interested in rugby league, we will generate more revenue than what we generate in Australia out of broadcast.” - Are we seriously to believe that the interest of 3.4million US citizens will result in a greater media deal than what they obtain in Australia?

2. “There's 300,000 Australians that live in America, so even if we picked up 150,000 of them to follow and subscribe to watch the game, that's another $25 million a year in revenue” - So V’landys is theorising 50% of Australians in the USA will pay an annual subscription of approx $167. 

Going back to the first point, I assume V’landys is theorising 3.4m individuals at $167 per subscription comes to $567m. It’s ok to dream and get a media story out there I guess.

It's just fantasy stuff, but I suppose it shows ambition. 

The worry is when people talk like this, it makes them look a bit basic. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

V'landys has been all over the place on the figures since day 1. I absolutely hope it's a huge success but these are just fantasy figures that have no basis.

• Like 2