Vegas baby!!

will be :-

Brisbane broncos

manly sea eagles 

south Sydney Rabbitohs 

Sydney Roosters 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-11/nrl-broncos-sea-eagles-rabbitohs-roosters-las-vegas/102719096

not sure how I feel about this but if anybody can crack the North American market then it’s got to be the Aussies that is to say if this is actually the NRL’s goal.

Edited by Havenlad80
  • Like 1

Fair play to them for giving it a go. It will be interesting to see how many turn up, ie will they follow the RFL’s approach of putting the game on and expecting people to know about it or will they market the hell out of it. Also is it a one off event (like England v NZ in Denver) or part of an actual North American strategy. 

• Like 3

Abdo calls them "proposed" matches, so this is more of a progress update than a confirmation I think.

This is a proposed 4/5 year series, but that happening will be dependent on the success of the first event I suspect.

Edited by Whippet13
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

will be :-

Brisbane broncos

manly sea eagles 

south Sydney Rabbitohs 

Sydney Roosters 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-11/nrl-broncos-sea-eagles-rabbitohs-roosters-las-vegas/102719096

not sure how I feel about this but if anybody can crack the North American market then it’s got to be the Aussies that is to say if this is actually the NRL’s goal.

They don’t really want to crack the market. It looks like they just want to become a sustainable niche product in the US 24/7 sports betting market which would bring in enough money to have a significant impact on such a small competition.

• Like 3

Taking some games to vegas will/should generate some cash, regularly if they persist. 
but taking the game to the US market will likely only really have any impact through TV.

not sure if Fox US still carry some NRL games or not.

Regardless. Still great to see, and hope it does happen.

will be interesting to see how much resource they put behind it and their approach to making it a genuine success.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Fair play to them for giving it a go. It will be interesting to see how many turn up, ie will they follow the RFL’s approach of putting the game on and expecting people to know about it or will they market the hell out of it. Also is it a one off event (like England v NZ in Denver) or part of an actual North American strategy. 

England v NZ wasn't meant to be a one off event though. It was meant to be a series of matches building up to the World Cup. That was until the NRL did their upmost to sabotage it. As with all things NRL they choose when player welfare arguments apply.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Copa said:

They don’t really want to crack the market. It looks like they just want to become a sustainable niche product in the US 24/7 sports betting market which would bring in enough money to have a significant impact on such a small competition.

As ever, can someone explain to me how this makes the NRL money?

You can already bet on NRL matches in the states in the same way I can bet on matches in the Icelandic Handball League here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You can already bet on NRL matches in the states in the same way I can bet on matches in the Icelandic Handball League here.

Who do you fancy in this afternoon’s Fram v Valur clash? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect they can sell huge amounts of detailed match data and statistics to the gambling companies.

• Confused 1

There is clearly no long range plan for expansion into North America....they have reverted back to throwing large amounts of at a barn wall and hoping some sticks...that is not a well thought out plan.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Copa said:

I suspect they can sell huge amounts of detailed match data and statistics to the gambling companies.

Can they?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Rugby League is not going to crack North America.  This is a way into the money markets of the US gambling industry. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris