Is this the NZ warriors most successful season?

Another milestone on the horizon:

For the first time in their 29-season history, the One New Zealand Warriors are set to break the 500,000 barrier for combined home and away crowds in a regular NRL season.

The attendance of 25,095 for last Friday’s match against St George Illawarra – the biggest of the season at Go Media Stadium – lifted the club’s aggregate for its 12 home games to 272,220 (an average of 22,685), the second best behind 1995’s 290,946.

Yet while the support has been exceptional at home games, attendances at away matches have been equally compelling.

That was evidenced by the Warriors-dominated crowd at the sold-out match against the Wests Tigers in Hamilton as well as the big numbers of fans supporting the One New Zealand Warriors in their road matches against Melbourne, Parramatta and Gold Coast. So much so the aggregate for crowds for the club’s away matches sits at 198,781 ahead of the last regular season match against the Dolphins at Suncorp Stadium this Saturday.

That leaves the combined attendance for home and away games sitting at 471,001.

The Dolphins drew a crowd of 33,449 to last Friday night’s match against the North Queensland Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium with support from ex-patriate New Zealanders tipped to take this week’s attendance past the 35,000 mark.

If that happens the One New Zealand Warriors will surge through the half million mark for the first time.

The record now stands at 495,624 in 1995 with the 400,000 mark previously bettered only two other times before this season with 423,923 in 2018 and 410,439 in 2014.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2023/08/29/total-crowds-set-to-top-half-a-million-for-first-time/

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 31/08/2023 at 05:41, Damien said:

Another milestone on the horizon:

For the first time in their 29-season history, the One New Zealand Warriors are set to break the 500,000 barrier for combined home and away crowds in a regular NRL season.

The attendance of 25,095 for last Friday’s match against St George Illawarra – the biggest of the season at Go Media Stadium – lifted the club’s aggregate for its 12 home games to 272,220 (an average of 22,685), the second best behind 1995’s 290,946.

Yet while the support has been exceptional at home games, attendances at away matches have been equally compelling.

That was evidenced by the Warriors-dominated crowd at the sold-out match against the Wests Tigers in Hamilton as well as the big numbers of fans supporting the One New Zealand Warriors in their road matches against Melbourne, Parramatta and Gold Coast. So much so the aggregate for crowds for the club’s away matches sits at 198,781 ahead of the last regular season match against the Dolphins at Suncorp Stadium this Saturday.

That leaves the combined attendance for home and away games sitting at 471,001.

The Dolphins drew a crowd of 33,449 to last Friday night’s match against the North Queensland Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium with support from ex-patriate New Zealanders tipped to take this week’s attendance past the 35,000 mark.

If that happens the One New Zealand Warriors will surge through the half million mark for the first time.

The record now stands at 495,624 in 1995 with the 400,000 mark previously bettered only two other times before this season with 423,923 in 2018 and 410,439 in 2014.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2023/08/29/total-crowds-set-to-top-half-a-million-for-first-time/

That’s some pretty good reading and goes a very long way to demonstrate the worth of the Warriors to New Zealanders (or Aucklanders at very least). There would be around half a million kiwis in Aus to jump on board a well performing Warriors outfit where the NRL is the major week to week code of Rugby. That’s not to say many were not on board already.

For a long time now I have been pushing the idea that the Warriors are the biggest professional sports club in NZ, despite playing a different code to the national game.

Shame to read Shaun Johnson injured himself at training and is out of this week’s game. I always wish them well if my Sharks are not involved.

12 hours ago, Copa said:

I must live in an alternate universe as I’d never heard of “wahs” for the Warriors until around a month ago.

I think it is a fairly recent addition to the vocabulary. Less than 12 months maybe?

Just another variation of the Broncs, Tiges, Dogs .... One syllable and easily delivered. Quickly recognisable. 

Titans shortened form was not a real socially acceptable form ...so didn't catch on 😛

• Haha 3

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

3 hours ago, The Partisan said:

I think it is a fairly recent addition to the vocabulary. Less than 12 months maybe?

Just another variation of the Broncs, Tiges, Dogs .... One syllable and easily delivered. Quickly recognisable. 

Titans shortened form was not a real socially acceptable form ...so didn't catch on 😛

I believe Cockfosters RLFC failed to get off the ground for going with an abbreviated name.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I believe Cockfosters RLFC failed to get off the ground for going with an abbreviated name.

Yes was always concerning when supporters were using the abbreviated name and urging their team to increase their intensity with an increase in hardness.  Of course, equally as bad when accused of getting to a tackled player late and delaying his ability to rise to his feet. 🙃

• Haha 1

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Another good read. Its a long read but here's a snip:

Meanwhile, the hitherto all-conquering All Blacks, for so long the pride and joy of New Zealand sport, are in unfamiliar territory having lost their first game of the Rugby World Cup to hosts France. They will almost certainly face a challenging quarter-final against defending champions South Africa or world No.1 Ireland – providing they qualify from their group, that is.

Sir Peter Leitch is a successful New Zealand businessman who set up a chain of butcher shops across the country. He is known by his nickname “the Mad Butcher” and has been a hugely passionate supporter of the Warriors since their foundation in 1995.

He believes the sporting landscape in New Zealand is gradually shifting from the historical domination of the All Blacks.

“Everywhere you go, you are hearing ‘Up the Wahs’, and it’s absolutely amazing for people like me to see,” he said.

“It’s exciting to see the passion of the fans. I don’t think the All Blacks have the free run that they used to. For many years rugby [union] ruled, but now other sports have stepped up like league and even other sports like basketball.

“We have another sell-out crowd at home this Saturday against the [Newcastle Knights] and as it gets nearer it’s so exciting. We’re embracing this period and riding the wave.”

The Warriors have traditionally enjoyed loyal support in Auckland, particularly in its southern suburbs, but the club’s reach is starting to be felt in traditional rugby heartlands on the south island, too. Canterbury Crusaders CEO Colin Mansbridge tweeted that the two codes could co-exist happily together and share support.

Warriors CEO Cameron George believes that the club’s support is growing across the country and their run to the finals has helped them reach new fans.

“The engagement we’re getting right around New Zealand and even globally is unbelievable. From the deep south [island] to the top of the north, then east to west, it doesn’t matter what town, everyone here is riding high on the momentum of the Warriors.

“We are in a very privileged position that we can put so much joy into this great country of ours. And whether you’re a league fan, a rugby fan or just a sports fan, you’re part of our footy club, we’re making you feel engaged through a lot of things that we’re doing and we’re really proud of that.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/code-wahs-is-league-winning-battle-for-hearts-and-minds-in-new-zealand-20230911-p5e3oj.html

On 08/09/2023 at 06:56, The Partisan said:

Yes was always concerning when supporters were using the abbreviated name and urging their team to increase their intensity with an increase in hardness.  Of course, equally as bad when accused of getting to a tackled player late and delaying his ability to rise to his feet. 🙃

Up with the Cocks 🙂

baffles me with SJ out last week why Webster didn't field the same weakened team he fielded in the last round of the normal season - and save the first choice 17 for a fresh start at home this week in the play offs with rested players - in reality they were always on a hiding to nothing away at the Panthers without SJ - And will have gained nothing from it but bruised battered and tired players 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

baffles me with SJ out last week why Webster didn't field the same weakened team he fielded in the last round of the normal season - and save the first choice 17 for a fresh start at home this week in the play offs with rested players - in reality they were always on a hiding to nothing away at the Panthers without SJ - And will have gained nothing from it but bruised battered and tired players 

2 weeks of fielding weakened teams isn't good preparation for a do or die play off game either.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

Part of coaching is psychology and that includes building up confidence. 

What does "we have one player out so we can't win" say to the rest of the team?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Part of coaching is psychology and that includes building up confidence. 

What does "we have one player out so we can't win" say to the rest of the team?

they cant have built any confidence from that performance against the panthers - u dont have to say "we cant win" just explain the logical reason

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

they cant have built any confidence from that performance against the panthers - u dont have to say "we cant win" just explain the logical reason

I disagree.  You can look at a defeat in retrospect and say this but a coach has to select a team ahead of time.

The Panthers lost their 6 and the Warriors lost their 7.  Your attitude is the coach of the Warriors saying, "that's it, we have no chance in this one".  I just can't see a coach sending that kind of message to a team.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I disagree.  You can look at a defeat in retrospect and say this but a coach has to select a team ahead of time.

The Panthers lost their 6 and the Warriors lost their 7.  Your attitude is the coach of the Warriors saying, "that's it, we have no chance in this one".  I just can't see a coach sending that kind of message to a team.

saying "we have a much better chance of getting to the final taking this route and this approach for this reason " would be acceptable to me the way the play offs are structured am sure the players would buy in to it 

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

saying "we have a much better chance of getting to the final taking this route and this approach for this reason " would be acceptable to me the way the play offs are structured am sure the players would buy in to it 

Apart from any other factor, I'm not 100% sure that chucking a game and then having to win two knockout games, one of which will be against a team that has a week off, is a much better chance of getting to the final.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Apart from any other factor, I'm not 100% sure that chucking a game and then having to win two knockout games, one of which will be against a team that has a week off, is a much better chance of getting to the final.

and I think it is , so thats prob why me and thee are not top flight RL  coaches 

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and I think it is , so thats prob why me and thee are not top flight RL  coaches 

Hang on, how come me agreeing with a top flight NRL coach and you disagreeing with a top flight NRL coach proves why we are both not top flight NRL coaches?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 13/09/2023 at 01:56, graveyard johnny said:

Sharks full squad got pummelled by the Storm in the last round of 2016 when they had a top two place to play for. Similar to the Warriors, the game was away and Melbourne were probably the premiership favourites.

The Sharks went on to meet the Storm with enough confidence to turn that result around in the GF.

Personally, I think the Warriors will at best last one more week. But I agree with putting out the squad they did a week ago and disagree it will leave any mental scars for this or any subsequent week left in the season.

• Like 1

With Mt Smart being full   for the Warriors game they are opening Eden Park to take the excess .Big screen and free admission. Weather forecast good. Be interesting to see how many they pull in.