The Regiment 1992 GB Tour

Final Test in Brisbane the Regiment marched past at the bottom of the terracing at the old Lang Park behind the posts. A torrent of beer cans rained down on them. Calmly the Regiment picked the cans up and returned them with interest. I don’t think the Aussies were expecting that.

• Like 1

I accept it may just be me but I have no idea what this is about.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I accept it may just be me but I have no idea what this is about.

The Regiment were a large group of supporters from Leeds IIRC who followed GB in Australia on the last tour as we knew them in 1992. A RL Barmy Army if you will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

The Regiment were a large group of supporters from Leeds IIRC who followed GB in Australia on the last tour as we knew them in 1992. A RL Barmy Army if you will.

Thanks.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I saw them in Melbourne ‘92 - walking in single file down the street - felt like a hundred of them - all wearing identical outfits. Aussies standing in the street staring - never seen anything like it

Get tge ashes booked back in - home and away, even if only once every four years. Iconic series

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pie tries said:

I saw them in Melbourne ‘92 - walking in single file down the street - felt like a hundred of them - all wearing identical outfits. Aussies standing in the street staring - never seen anything like it

Get tge ashes booked back in - home and away, even if only once every four years. Iconic series

The pinnicle of RL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I think there were rumoured to be ten thousand Brits out there by the time of the last Ashes Test.

I was there for the last test and it certainly felt like that, the GB fans basically took over the whole area around Lang Park. A lad I grew up with, had by that stage been living in Brisbane for about 5 years, has since told me that it the only time he has ever felt homesick.

Small anecdote on how well they were received, on the following Sunday I went to the Broncos game with my mate and all his Aussie friends. In the pub afterwards, I went to the bar to order 4 beers, probably XXXX, but they didn't have any so I asked for another brew (Powers?) None of that either. Jokingly I asked what kind of pub it was with no beer and got the reply "all you bloody poms drank it on Friday".

My mate later told me that the landlord wrote to the local Brisbane paper saying it was the best night any of his pubs had ever had, with the best crowd, especially given that they were fans of a beaten team

• Like 6

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I think there were rumoured to be ten thousand Brits out there by the time of the last Ashes Test.

I'm always so envious when I see those old clips. It looked fantastic. I always remember my Nan & Grandad being booked to go on the last planned proper Ashes in 1996 which was then cancelled because of the SL war. A lifelong ambition and they never got to go.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I was there for the last test and it certainly felt like that, the GB fans basically took over the whole area around Lang Park. A lad I grew up with, had by that stage been living in Brisbane for about 5 years, has since told me that it the only time he has ever felt homesick.

Small anecdote on how well they were received, on the following Sunday I went to the Broncos game with my mate and all his Aussie friends. In the pub afterwards, I went to the bar to order 4 beers, probably XXXX, but they didn't have any so I asked for another brew (Powers?) None of that either. Jokingly I asked what kind of pub it was with no beer and got the reply "all you bloody poms drank it on Friday".

My mate later told me that the landlord wrote to the local Brisbane paper saying it was the best night any of his pubs had ever had, with the best crowd, especially given that they were fans of a beaten team

We went to Manly v St George (I think it was SG) a week after the last Test and in the Leagues club after the game the Aussies wanted us to sing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life which we duly did.

• Like 1

I was told that there were only two rules to The Regiment.

1. The Brigadier was in charge.

2. When he blew his bugel all assembled had to sup up and move to the next pub.

Also 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' was their anthem.

Like a poster above, I had set my heart on the 1996 Tour which didn't happen due to summer rugby, Murdoch etc.

GB did tour NZ in 1996 or have I got that wrong❓

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I was told that there were only two rules to The Regiment.

1. The Brigadier was in charge.

2. When he blew his bugel all assembled had to sup up and move to the next pub.

Also 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' was their anthem.

Like a poster above, I had set my heart on the 1996 Tour which didn't happen due to summer rugby, Murdoch etc.

GB did tour NZ in 1996 or have I got that wrong❓

Yes they did and also went to Fiji on the same tour. I was toying with going but SL put everything up in the air and nothing was confirmed until late on so I ended up going down under for the Aussie play offs and Grand Final.

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Yes they did and also went to Fiji on the same tour. I was toying with going but SL put everything up in the air and nothing was confirmed until late on so I ended up going down under for the Aussie play offs and Grand Final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Great_Britain_Lions_tour

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

Thanks.

I went over to Oz in 1997 during the SL war and watched Norths.

Miss the GB and Kangaroo tours.

Due to middle aged grumpiness I only watch Chorley Panthers now, but wow I enjoyed that 1992 tour on my sky dish including all the non test fixtures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Thanks.

I went over to Oz in 1997 during the SL war and watched Norths.

Miss the GB and Kangaroo tours.

Due to middle aged grumpiness I only watch Chorley Panthers now, but wow I enjoyed that 1992 tour on my sky dish including all the non test fixtures.

After the Melbourne record score in the second Test we were due to fly up to Brisbane at 5:30 am the next day if memory serves me right. We just went on the pop in central Melbourne and then back to the hotel where we watched a replay of the game on a big screen as the hotel manager had kindly recorded the match for us. There was plenty of time to sleep after the flight.

3 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Wasn't Martin Offiah denied an equalising try at Lang Park the week after Melbourne in the third test?

Any idea what became of The Regiment?

If I remember correctly Offiah flew down the touch line but stepped on the line when evading a tackler.