Thanks Finny ........... Who's next ??

Therein73

With the not unexpected news that LF will be moving on to pastures new, I hope everyone's thoughts will be "Thanks for a job well done & good luck in the future" ...... We've played some stunning Rugby at times this season and ground out other victories that weren't pretty but made sure we got to the ultimate goal. 

So, we're back in the Championship and if we finish one place behind 'Fax next year I reckon we'll have had a good season..... But who would we like to take Finny's place and move us on to become an established top-half Team in the Championship ???

2 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

With the not unexpected news that LF will be moving on to pastures new, I hope everyone's thoughts will be "Thanks for a job well done & good luck in the future" ...... We've played some stunning Rugby at times this season and ground out other victories that weren't pretty but made sure we got to the ultimate goal. 

So, we're back in the Championship and if we finish one place behind 'Fax next year I reckon we'll have had a good season..... But who would we like to take Finny's place and move us on to become an established top-half Team in the Championship ???

Names such as John Kear and Francis Cummings will be mentioned. My choice would be Paul Skyes, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Kear with Paul as his assistant, which might not be a bad combination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

I’m not sure who I’d want to hopefully take us forward,but I’ll name them that I wouldn’t want.

John Kear 

Alan Kilshaw 

Gary Thornton 

Stuart Littler

Maybe Lovegrove might be worth a shout.

Gary Thornton was given a new contract at Rochdale just a couple of weeks ago.

How about a flaxen-haired Australian ex 2nd row forward?

• Sad 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Got to be Sykes! How else will he play next season if he's not picking himself?

• Haha 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Gary Thornton was given a new contract at Rochdale just a couple of weeks ago.

How about a flaxen-haired Australian ex 2nd row forward?

Oh yes I remember now, Thornton signing a new contract. If it's the one I'm thinking of I don't think a certain Mr Coolie would be happy 🤣neither would I to be honest. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Oh yes I remember now, Thornton signing a new contract. If it's the one I'm thinking of I don't think a certain Mr Coolie would be happy 🤣neither would I to be honest. 

That would be correct mate

This appointment is more crucial than its ever been. 

We either get a forward thinking coach, who builds on the foundations laid this season taking us to the next level in progression

Or

We get a journeyman who is only the cheap option, most probably based in Yorkshire, this will rule out a few. 

Now Finn and the club have announced their divorce, the club at the first chance should be advertising for a new bride, and not just some slappy tart who is only there to "hole fill" until something more palatable comes along 🤔

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

I believe that Rhys Lovegrove is the answer ... young progressive and a good job done at Keighley in League 1. I think he would have the gravitas to retain the majority of our existing squad and the ability to develop to the next stage.

Let's see if he casts his hat in the ring, it also would rekindle a connection to Hull KR

Obviously if they need any of our players to bail them out🤔😉🤣

• Like 1

Need someone who can keep you in the championship for starters, especially if Butterworth etc are signed by Fax

• Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

10 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Think we are set at hooker, half back, and full back next season so I wouldn't be too worried about losing any players in those positions to us.

To be honest I don't see how any of our players are going to enrich your squad, yes maybe squad men or cover... But first team... nah

The step up to the championship is massive from League 1🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolie said:

To be honest I don't see how any of our players are going to enrich your squad, yes maybe squad men or cover... But first team... nah

The step up to the championship is massive from League 1🤔

I agree and we do not have the money to carry a large squad so I would say its very unlikely and with most players already signed for next season it's just a case of people putting two and two together.

From a player's point of view, they'd need to be better than a proven Championship player and with no reserve side, they risk kicking their heels on the sidelines. Then their "market value" diminishes or they stay at the Rams with  a much higher chance of regular game time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Need someone who can keep you in the championship for starters, especially if Butterworth etc are signed by Fax

Yes, you are fortunate at Batley that all of your best players already belong to other clubs already or will be retiring. No looking over your shoulders, which must be a relief.

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 hours ago, phildog said:

Other than McGowan, who isn't ours BSJ?

Hooley.

Just now, phildog said:

Gone now I'd say....

You should try a sense of humour. You never know, you might even enjoy it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1