Doncaster - The Qualifying Final 3rd Sept.

jroyales

2 hours ago, Rob95 said:

For me Hirst at second row , he is not as good as Carr or Morgan at centre . 
Bit of  strange game this as we obviously want to win but we have a second chance on this game, so is it really worth the risk with some players . 
If Ellis is fit then he should start as we need him to get up to speed with the attacking plays Slater on the bench isn't just our impact hooker he can also cover at half and has done so well this season , although his best position is clearly hooker . Slater has slightly more speed than Paga  , has a better pass and clearly is comfortable shouting out plays , Paga and Tyrer seem quiet . 
For me Paga at full back he suits that position well with his hard to handle running and there is less of a drop off from McNally to Paga , than Ellis to Paga (not that we've seen Ellis though) .
Also in Ellis and McNally we have 2 players who haven't played since injuring hamstrings , to risk both of them in this game I feel would be a recipe for disaster.

There's a lot to play for. A win means a chance at a home final and believe me after a trip to Derwent Park then Heywood Road a home final means everything 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob95 said:

For me Hirst at second row , he is not as good as Carr or Morgan at centre . 
Bit of  strange game this as we obviously want to win but we have a second chance on this game, so is it really worth the risk with some players . 
If Ellis is fit then he should start as we need him to get up to speed with the attacking plays Slater on the bench isn't just our impact hooker he can also cover at half and has done so well this season , although his best position is clearly hooker . Slater has slightly more speed than Paga  , has a better pass and clearly is comfortable shouting out plays , Paga and Tyrer seem quiet . 
For me Paga at full back he suits that position well with his hard to handle running and there is less of a drop off from McNally to Paga , than Ellis to Paga (not that we've seen Ellis though) .
Also in Ellis and McNally we have 2 players who haven't played since injuring hamstrings , to risk both of them in this game I feel would be a recipe for disaster.

Repeat post

Edited by Rene_Artois
Repeat post

One way traffic that half. Ridiculous decision to yellow card Ah Van. Ref also missed Ferres ramming his forearm into an Oldham head. Regardless of that we were completely second best. Sat back and let Doncaster dictate every aspect of the game. Metres after contact from Donny are huge, which will continue if our forwards carry on tackling bigger men high up instead of round the legs. We're playing to get some confidence and momentum for the next match now. 

Hammered in every department there. For me only Moran and possibly Hirst, maybe Carr came out with any credit. Completely beaten pack. Beaten for aggression, speed, power from 1-17. We had no answer. Ah Van's yellow was for me a poor decision; McNally was idiotic, asking for a yellow when completely unnecessary. I don't like criticising individuals but I'm wondering what Ah Van was doing out there. Contributed nothing for me.  North Wales next week and it's going to have to be a massive improvement to beat them on this showing. 

• Like 2

Ref awful out of his depth , he even missed a clear try for ferres for Donny , bigger worry is our performance or more lack of , defence is very soft no line speed and to many players who are weak links in defence, especially once a team gets in our 20 a try comes more often than not , and our attack looked like a team of strangers , odd team selection as well with no Slater on the bench , Paga is no hooker , and Jamie Ellis well he's never been a skinny half back but he's bigger than most of our props in weight having a player like that really lowers standards as if his weight and fitness is seen as acceptable then others will go the same way 

36 minutes ago, Oldham 1 said:

Ref awful out of his depth , he even missed a clear try for ferres for Donny , bigger worry is our performance or more lack of , defence is very soft no line speed and to many players who are weak links in defence, especially once a team gets in our 20 a try comes more often than not , and our attack looked like a team of strangers , odd team selection as well with no Slater on the bench , Paga is no hooker , and Jamie Ellis well he's never been a skinny half back but he's bigger than most of our props in weight having a player like that really lowers standards as if his weight and fitness is seen as acceptable then others will go the same way 

It very much seems that Slater was sacrificed to accommodate Ellis , Paga is no hooker .
About all we can take from the game is it looked like we didn't pick up any injuries , I would hope Johnson and Slater are back in for North Wales , we will have to see if we pick up any bans for McNally and I think Nelmes was put on report for a crusher but could be wrong . 
Seriously though nilled by a team we've been close to in the other games , Fonua and Vete improve Doncaster but surely not by that much . 

• Like 1

Awful performance - beaten by a far better team. They were stronger and quicker all over the park. Our defensive line speed is none existent - and , as previous posts have said, attack seemed to consist of passing it sideways without drawing your man or attacking the line. 

Very hard to think of any positives! At least the sun shined! 

Edited by Sheddings paddock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldham 1 said:

Wasn't a clear try for Ferres. He grounded it with his knee on the dead ball line.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

Went with my two sons and grandson saying we are in for a good game! None of them will be coming again.

That has to be the worst performance by an Oldham team I have seen for many years. There wasn't a game plan, well if there is nobody knows it, they seemed to be just going through the motions just to get the game out of the way and it has to be said all this chopping and changing isn't good for team morale.

Lots of criticism of the ref. He wasn't lazy in defence, he didn't drop balls, he didn't miss tackles, he didn't watch others doing the work. He did make mistakes, but for both sides. For a game of this magnitude he was out of his depth.

On this showing we WILL be in league next season, and the season after that unless there is a massive clear out during the close season.

• Like 2

It's not yet over. Although improbable, it's still possible for us to turn things around. However in the unlikely event that we do and we gain promotion, then it shows what a nonsense the playoff system is. Doncaster have beaten us 4 times this season.  Now let's forget today, focus on crusaders, beat them then beat the winners of hunslet and Doncaster. Then it's the final. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course it's over.....we've got no chance of beating Donny and Hunslet let alone North Wales on current form.....the performance was dreadful today just like last week, we will be in league 1 next year for sure.

One of the more disappointing aspects of today was the Oldham following, barely hundred there 🙄 

• Sad 1

You know, next week will be a ding dong of a game at Hunslet and that may be our route to the final after a tough match. We have to do it tough now with a four match run but it can be done. 

I think quite a few lads are playing fir contracts now and that should be motivation from here on. 

The more I think about today the ref definitely shaped the way the game went. He started badly putting Nelmes on report and went on to miss so many forward passes it was embarrassing. Even the commentators picked upon it. My late dad used to say the best way to break a defence is a forward pass. So true today. Then the Au Van sin binning was just as we were gaining momentum Leading up to half time it killed us off from a recoverable 18 points to 24

For those who say a ref doesn’t drop the ball or miss a tackle, you are completely correct. However he can and did influence the momentum of the game even though he probably didn’t realise it.

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, thecrab said:

Of course it's over.....we've got no chance of beating Donny and Hunslet let alone North Wales on current form.....the performance was dreadful today just like last week, we will be in league 1 next year for sure.

One of the more disappointing aspects of today was the Oldham following, barely hundred there 🙄 

With reference to your points.

No it's not.

On current form. But form can change.

Maybe, maybe not.

It was streamed online. So undecideds stayed at home. Me, I was working so hid myself away and watched it online.