Good news for fans of RL in big cities

Eddie

https://www.ffr13.fr/fc-lyon-xiii-la-renaissance-dun-club-historique/?fbclid=IwAR07YodxN0FxgX30Rs2gBv4BNovGFtMV36Zyyq3QgPJXW5wydpCTo76sHs0

I’ve even google translated it for you, good luck to them;

It’s a rebirth in this great city of France! For a few weeks now, the project to relaunch a historic rugby league club has been underway in Lyon. A team of enthusiasts took on the challenge of reforming a flagship team at FC Lyon XIII. The president of the club Ronel ZENON, alongside Cyprien COLOT, have already started the project and are looking for players wishing to join the adventure.

Former Saint-Martin-de-Crau player, Cyprien arrived in Lyon for professional reasons but also with the firm intention of (re)launching a rugby league team in one of the largest cities in France. The short-term ambition objective would be to recruit as many players as possible and build a team at the lowest level.

Cyprien COLOT, marketing/communication manager of the club: “Passionate about XIII, I wanted to take on a crazy but feasible bet: relaunching a historic club, and therefore FC Lyon XIII. We are trying to get this club going again because we see great potential. Partners would be ready to also join the adventure, but for this we must first restructure the club at all levels. This obviously involves creating a flagship team with a sufficient number of players to meet the demands of a season. Lyon is a big city passionate about sport and the 13th had its heyday. I am convinced that we can bring the club back from the ashes and regain the notoriety of the sport in this city.”

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

Lyon-Villeurbanne (one of the original 1930s clubs, twice league champions in the 1950s) was in Elite 2 up until a couple of years ago.

The tragedy is that French RL once had flourishing teams in huge cities like Lyon, Bordeaux and Marseille.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

https://www.ffr13.fr/fc-lyon-xiii-la-renaissance-dun-club-historique/?fbclid=IwAR07YodxN0FxgX30Rs2gBv4BNovGFtMV36Zyyq3QgPJXW5wydpCTo76sHs0

It’s a rebirth in this great city of France! For a few weeks now, the project to relaunch a historic rugby league club has been underway in Lyon. A team of enthusiasts took on the challenge of reforming a flagship team at FC Lyon XIII. The president of the club Ronel ZENON, alongside Cyprien COLOT, have already started the project and are looking for players wishing to join the adventure.

Former Saint-Martin-de-Crau player, Cyprien arrived in Lyon for professional reasons but also with the firm intention of (re)launching a rugby league team in one of the largest cities in France. The short-term ambition objective would be to recruit as many players as possible and build a team at the lowest level.

Cyprien COLOT, marketing/communication manager of the club: “Passionate about XIII, I wanted to take on a crazy but feasible bet: relaunching a historic club, and therefore FC Lyon XIII. We are trying to get this club going again because we see great potential. Partners would be ready to also join the adventure, but for this we must first restructure the club at all levels. This obviously involves creating a flagship team with a sufficient number of players to meet the demands of a season. Lyon is a big city passionate about sport and the 13th had its heyday. I am convinced that we can bring the club back from the ashes and regain the notoriety of the sport in this city.”

It’s pretty good running on the peage to the French rl heartlands but still quite a distance (I estimate 5 hours to Barnyias territory in Lezignan and a days drive to St.Gaudens.)

let’s hope they start steady and encourage youngsters development as a priority and Mairie funding not far behind.  If they do that and are willing to put that effort in for 8-10 years, then they have a good chance to create something sustainable.  Or, try the VSL route/promises and fizzle out.  Hope it’s the former! 👍

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Lyon-Villeurbanne (one of the original 1930s clubs, twice league champions in the 1950s) was in Elite 2 up until a couple of years ago.

I believe Roanne is another. Not far from Lyon, both are real "RL frontier" clubs. Been around since the beginning, and sadly dissolved during thr pandemic. 

Hopefully they too can soon re-form and Lyon will have another team nearby. They are a bit isolated as it stands now. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_Roanne_XIII 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, langpark said:

I believe Roanne is another. Not far from Lyon, both are real "RL frontier" clubs. Been around since the beginning, and sadly dissolved during thr pandemic. 

Hopefully they too can soon re-form and Lyon will have another team nearby. They are a bit isolated as it stands now. 

It's not a complete RL vacuum in Lyon, as you can see from the local league's newsletter: http://liguera13.com/xiii-info-n123-juin-2023-ͼͽ/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, langpark said:

There'll be several West Cumbrian players of a certain age who'll have fond memories of Roanne from when they used send a youth team annually, then receive them later in the year 

Edited by Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

5 hours ago, Damien said:

French RL has to expand out of the small towns and villages to grow so this is welcome news.

That could apply to a certain other country too.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

new rise.jpg

3 hours ago, langpark said:

There are plenty, just need to get a bit of funding to kick start them.  Insurance to play at all levels in France is a costly problem but no shortage of facilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

That could apply to a certain other country too.

RL in England doesn’t necessarily need big cities. It’s better to be a big fish in a small pond (eg Cas or Fev) than a tiddler in a massive one (eg Skolars and Broncos). If we had more small towns and villages that love the game it would be fine. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Fingers crossed that something positive can come of this

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Indeed

To be honest IF the Skolars have to drop out of league 1 the RFL only have themselves to blame

Who’s said they may be dropping out? Sorry I’ve been on hol and not really looking online much, has this been announced??

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

There appears to be strong RUMOURS that they have serious financial problems, and i stress RUMOURS

Thanks. It’s not surprising on gates of 200, 9 home games a season and 9 long away trips.  Even if there was a southern club interested in joining the semi pro ranks someone would need to have a lot of money to throw away to make it even vaguely work. 

Edited by Eddie

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thanks. It’s not surprising on gates of 200, 9 home games a season and 9 long away trips.  Even if there was a southern club interested in joining the semi pro ranks someone would need to have a lot of money to throw away to make it even vaguely work. 

Trust me when i say that there aren't any clubs from the UK or France or anywhere else wanting to join League 1

There are currently 58 mens teams in France + Dragons and Toulouse.

Have fond memories of a TV match in Lyon in 1999 attended by Madame Bufet communist minister of sport in the Jospin government.

12 were invited to the pre match lunch and around 40 turned up you can guess who paid the bill:(

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Haha 3