RogerT

1 hour ago, toffeedog said:

Have.oldam now become Featherstone? Impressive signings they made . Yet no matter how great a season we have we never linked with these type of signings . It puzzles me is  it money or just not.intresed.in coming. 

Doncaster splashing out as well now got Reece Lyne from Wakefield. 

Edited by Fevrover

That's very worrying Kevin, for you more than us. Difficult to see what more can be done throughout the club and with the ever-diminishing central funding it can't get any better without dropping lucky a la Fev, Oldham, Donny. 

Most Clubs appear to be spending more than they have and to an extent so are we. We have to look at ways of cutting our costs but we run on as low a cost as possible so there are limited opportunities there. So we have to look at ways of increasing our income firstly  to cover the present likely shortfall and secondly to progress so we can be competitive with other Clubs who have a greater income because they get bigger crowds or have someone or some people able to put more significant sums into the Club to prop it up. We will try to do that. That has always been the problem to be honest but presently it has become worse but we shall see. We need a figure to work to then a plan but we will do it.

• Like 5

We need to announce a Christmas Prize Draw now, hope the Supporters Club resurrect their Christmas Raffle, put out details of 2024 sponsorship opportunities, how to support the War Chest (very quiet on this front last season) and anything else we can think of. Doing these things at the last minute invites a poor response. There's money we can raise to help the club but the club in turn needs to be far more proactive.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bromleybulldog said:

We need to announce a Christmas Prize Draw now, hope the Supporters Club resurrect their Christmas Raffle, put out details of 2024 sponsorship opportunities, how to support the War Chest (very quiet on this front last season) and anything else we can think of. Doing these things at the last minute invites a poor response. There's money we can raise to help the club but the club in turn needs to be far more proactive.

Must agree BB. Instead of cash prizes try seasontickets for 2, an executive box for a game, shirts and hats and scarfs. 

• Like 1

I have previously suggested the return of draws along the lines of the Lifeline Draw during 'the dark days', a monthly contribution membership like BISSA, monthly events in Ron's Lounge with entertainment, players' nights or video nights, money over the bar Kev ( maybe not a grandsworth!) but it's there along with fellowship. If BoD are run off their feet ask around! Help is there.

Serious question is no one worried about the age of the bulk of the squad ? Bearing in mind 3 quarters of the squad as resigned that went off the boil before and after Wembley.  I honestly was expecting more fresh signings but as yet just cover for departed players. I mentioned it before last season father time catches players up.loyalty for players previous efforts could bite us this season if we don't strengthen more 

31 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

Serious question is no one worried about the age of the bulk of the squad ? Bearing in mind 3 quarters of the squad as resigned that went off the boil before and after Wembley.  I honestly was expecting more fresh signings but as yet just cover for departed players. I mentioned it before last season father time catches players up.loyalty for players previous efforts could bite us this season if we don't strengthen more 

I wonder, just out of interest, if anyone knows what our average age is? The new signings seem to be younger. 

Agreed but the resigning are all in mid 30s . My point is the team ran out of steam through the season either through injuries or just a season too far for most of them to try keep playing at the same level week in week out. My.point is will they be able to compete week.in week out with bulk of the squad of  players who fell away last season  before and after Wembley.  

27 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

Agreed but the resigning are all in mid 30s . My point is the team ran out of steam through the season either through injuries or just a season too far for most of them to try keep playing at the same level week in week out. My.point is will they be able to compete week.in week out with bulk of the squad of  players who fell away last season  before and after Wembley.  

Buchanan - 24

Flynn - 26

Burton - 21

White - 28

Woods - 26

New signings 

Rourke - 23?

Burton - 21

Cooper - 29

Edited by distantdog

32 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

But how old are the fowards we resigned and morton kear ??off set those 

I could look it up, so could you. I was just responding to your post about all of our re-signings being 30+. They aren't. 

But like you, l think there might be a need for a couple of younger forwards to boost the pack.

Edited by distantdog

Point is which you didn't even reference is the resigning are of players who got us to Wembley then just fell away till end of season for what ever reason they did . As such questions should be asked about how and why this happened . Yet we're resigned so point is there year older and if levels were dipping last year why risk another season on past performances is my qyestion 

3 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

Point is which you didn't even reference is the resigning are of players who got us to Wembley then just fell away till end of season for what ever reason they did . As such questions should be asked about how and why this happened . Yet we're resigned so point is there year older and if levels were dipping last year why risk another season on past performances is my qyestion 

Because if they are good enough they're old/young enough! The dip was not age related. It was the constant week in-week out grind, with no rest weeks that got to us - as it did Fax who played same amount of games with a bigger squad and more loanees or DR? I know Wembley was great (a win would have been better) but it was also a curse which came and bit us last 1/3 of the season.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

No, the point is, you said all of our re-signings are over 30. This is wrong. That was the point l was addressing. You then veered off to another point. 

Just on re-signings. Who should we keep and who should we let go in your opinion?

I think we fell away after Wembley last year because of our squad size. Literally no options for the coaching staff, I imagine they were selecting the only 17 fit or almost fit players available. I know money is always an issue but we have run with a shoestring size squad for a number of seasons now and actually have been lucky with injuries (or lack of them) but you can't keep picking the same 17 week after week and expecting them to keep up performing at 100%. They need rest, we had no free weekend because of our success in the cup and we had no fit players to bring in and freshen up the squad. Perhaps if we agree a DR deal with Castleford we might be able to avoid that situation next year. I'm not really a fan of DR but if we can't afford a larger squad then perhaps we need to consider it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toffeedog said:

But how old are the fowards we resigned and morton kear ??off set those 

Leaving Kear and Morton out the average age of the forwards and utility forwards (7) so far is 28 so not as ancient as you think. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

I think we fell away after Wembley last year because of our squad size. Literally no options for the coaching staff, I imagine they were selecting the only 17 fit or almost fit players available. I know money is always an issue but we have run with a shoestring size squad for a number of seasons now and actually have been lucky with injuries (or lack of them) but you can't keep picking the same 17 week after week and expecting them to keep up performing at 100%. They need rest, we had no free weekend because of our success in the cup and we had no fit players to bring in and freshen up the squad. Perhaps if we agree a DR deal with Castleford we might be able to avoid that situation next year. I'm not really a fan of DR but if we can't afford a larger squad then perhaps we need to consider it?

I think the lineup against Newcastle in the last match of the season proves this point.