RogerT

I simply point out scenarios AND not necessarily as failure or criticism. Does he know who is replacing Strenth and Conditioner, assistant coach(es) eg question or criticism? Figures on numbers, fact or criticism? If anyone has the information, share it, don't simply make a statement without backing.

Did you have a complete squad at this time in 22, 21, 19, 18?

Most clubs of mid-table Championship stature build slowly towards the start of the season. 

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, phildog said:

I simply point out scenarios AND not necessarily as failure or criticism. Does he know who is replacing Strenth and Conditioner, assistant coach(es) eg question or criticism? Figures on numbers, fact or criticism? If anyone has the information, share it, don't simply make a statement without backing.

Of course he does, training starts on Monday and the players who are doing extras have been training with Barlow who is the new S&C coach 

so we are getting a new Number 2 and 3 

• Thanks 1

By my reckoning we are still waiting for re-signing news of Meadows and Brown. I hope both are in the system. Meadows is a key player for his creativity and Brown, despite his advancing years , is still an inspirational figure on the field and one of the few players we have who can conjure up game changing moments.

• Like 2

Shame that, but good luck to him, nice lad. Players come, players go

• Like 7

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Well thanks KTF, very knowing before and after the fact. If anyone on here remembers the first departure from The Eagles when Bernie Leadon left, he simply said 'I think I'm going fishing'. We'll, I'm buying my rod today....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 09/11/2023 at 22:19, Blind side johnny said:

Did you have a complete squad at this time in 22, 21, 19, 18?

Most clubs of mid-table Championship stature build slowly towards the start of the season. 

In most cases clubs  know who they have signed but only announce it slowly to keep fans engaged throughout the close season B FEV do it every year slowly slowly catchy monkey one here two there as things stand we've let 17 go  and only signed 12 :kolobok_grin:

We get to know our Rfl distribution amount tomorrow so then we know a bit more about the financial challenge ahead. It will be reasonable news if we are £35,000 down on previous season but anything more will not be. So make no mistake we are in difficult times which we are working through.

We got a team which took us to a Grand Final and we reduced our Admission to £10 and our average gates went up about 250 which doesn’t fill anyone with confidence going forward so we have to take that into account.

So we have to think things through very carefully to get to where we need to be. No we will not spend big money we can’t afford on so called “ big named players” who in reality are coming to the back end of their careers and may not be ready to put hard yards in for Batley when going gets tough. So good luck to other Clubs in that respect.

We have re signed our own players who we know can perform and will try their very best so that’s a big start. We have added some young players to try a rebuilding process. We may run with a slightly smaller squad in hope DR works and we will look for players that could better our squad at the cost we can afford. Off the field we also need to try to progress.

So some may be apprehensive or even disappointed about some things because that’s understandable but it is what it is and we will try our very best to put a competitive team out that we can be proud of but we wish to remain stable and we have a lot to sort this year.

Ending on a positive note we have had some good meetings this week which give us some financial comfort going forward so we are progressing in the right direction at the moment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Bill H said:

For what it's worth I really enjoyed the atmosphere at The Mount last year.  The increase in crowd size may have been small but you could feel the difference.  Thanks for a bold initiative.

Honestly it would be nice if Kirklees Council got behind the local clubs more and made them a big deal. Other than Huddersfield Town it doesn't seem like they really care to promote the local sports teams.

47 minutes ago, Bill H said:

For what it's worth I really enjoyed the atmosphere at The Mount last year.  The increase in crowd size may have been small but you could feel the difference.  Thanks for a bold initiative.

This. The games against those teams that traditionally produce smaller attendances definitely seemed busier. 

36 minutes ago, FileyBulldog said:

Honestly it would be nice if Kirklees Council got behind the local clubs more and made them a big deal. Other than Huddersfield Town it doesn't seem like they really care to promote the local sports teams.

You are right, Kirklees are pulling out of the John Smiths Stadium and selling there percentage of ownership.

54 minutes ago, FileyBulldog said:

Do not rely on Kirklees Council for anything . The current Regime have been wasting money left right and centre and are now crying the poor tale.

We will have to stand on our own two feet , as usual .