Championship Meeting

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It seems one club doesn't know, and that is why Mr Mazey thought it prudent to inform the fans if Rochdale Hornets.

He mentions that some officials of Champ clubs are seemingly not bothered what happens to League 1 clubs, shame on them if that is the case,

So it is looking very much that we are leaning to a defined 'pyramid' system, in that SL clubs couldnt care what happens to Championship clubs as long as they are alright - allegedly, and in turn a number of Championship clubs couldn't care what happens to League 1 clubs as informed in Mr Mazey's letter.

IMG haven't really started yet, but it seems the game is already at loggerheads!

You imply that it wouldn't be if IMG weren't involved. You have been watching this sport for long enough now Harry to know that this is unlikely to be the case.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

What is the role of RFL? 

I would expect that as the governing body they manage the game outside Superleague and make decisions for the benefit of the clubs and the game in general.  I am all for getting the views of the clubs but surely they should be making the decisions and telling the clubs to get on with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

What is the role of RFL? 

I would expect that as the governing body they manage the game outside Superleague and make decisions for the benefit of the clubs and the game in general.  I am all for getting the views of the clubs but surely they should be making the decisions and telling the clubs to get on with it.

The decisions are made by the clubs.  They vote.  The role of the RFL is to do as it's told.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

58 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

What is the role of RFL? 

Well I thought it was to look after the game as a "whole" not just the chosen few and themselves?

• Like 1

I am not sure that the clubs decide the make-up of the divisions - otherwise why would any club want to have a third division in the first place. The RFL governing body surely have enough clout to organise the game below Super League to draw up a fixture plan to suit the majority, An eight-team third division benefits nobosy.

You have to remember league 1 is like an expansion division, champ clubs will not want to travel to these places and add extra financial costs( which not just travel there will be extra costs). Especially when theirs no tv deal so less money this year too. With sky SL etc RL as now become a business not a sport, so champ clubs will not vote for this unless they get a sweetener imo. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it is an expansion division why will it have Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale, Hunslet and Keighley in it next season? Birmingham and North Wales are hardly an overnight trip so it is only Cornwall who are truly expansionist and if we can'r accommodate one or two long trips a season  then the game really is in a mess of its own making.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Rowan said:

If it is an expansion division why will it have Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale, Hunslet and Keighley in it next season? Birmingham and North Wales are hardly an overnight trip so it is only Cornwall who are truly expansionist and if we can'r accommodate one or two long trips a season  then the game really is in a mess of its own making.

That will be news to Swinton.

• Haha 9

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

28 minutes ago, Rowan said:

If it is an expansion division why will it have Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale, Hunslet and Keighley in it next season? Birmingham and North Wales are hardly an overnight trip so it is only Cornwall who are truly expansionist and if we can't accommodate one or two long trips a season  then the game really is in a mess of its own making.

It's not a debate - the clubs voted for it.

To be fair, though, things have changed dramatically since then. I can't be bothered to look back but did we not have 28 or so clubs below Superleague? A 28 club division would be totally unwieldy with probably three quarters of the clubs having nothing to play for realistically.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rowan said:

Your not getting the point tbf, champ clubs are out of pocket already without a tv deal, so to expect them to accommodate more clubs is a big expectation imo, as it isn’t as easy as just throwing 8 clubs into a league if it was SL would add 8 to SL and champ would accommodate those 8. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Your not getting the point tbf, champ clubs are out of pocket already without a tv deal, so to expect them to accommodate more clubs is a big expectation imo, as it isn’t as easy as just throwing 8 clubs into a league if it was SL would add 8 to SL and champ would accommodate those 8. 

How many times, the L1 clubs aren't asking to take a piece of there pie, none of them have asked to be put into the Championship. All of them just want more games to play in L1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You may be right Rovers13 that I am missing the point - or is it just that we have different points. I don't have a solution other than an 8-team League One is not it. Unless they are willing to play each other three or four times, otherwise the only solution to losing money on matches is to play no games at all. I know this sounds like a report from the dark ages in some people's minds but until 1973 we had one division of 30 clubs and they didn't have to play each other home and away before the play-offs to make it work.  And if even Australia can draw up a fixture list of 24 games for 17 clubs it can't be all that difficult to accommodate 22 in one division.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan said:

Swinton 😂😂

28 minutes ago, dkw said:

How many times, the L1 clubs aren't asking to take a piece of there pie, none of them have asked to be put into the Championship. All of them just want more games to play in L1.

Well I'm confused now. Who do the L1 clubs want to play if not the Championship clubs? Who's left?

32 minutes ago, dkw said:

Take it you haven’t seen the statement from league 1 clubs then asking to have same benefits in the IMG era. 

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

If all they want is games then why do they need anything from the Championship clubs? There's nobody stopping them playing each other six times a season if that's what they want.

Newcastle and London going will have been celebrated in certain L1 boardrooms, two long trips gone (long trips being referenced by one of the club statements as a problem with L1), and it opens a door to say L1 isn't sustainable we must be put into the Championship. That's what they're angling for. They're putting out statements having a dig at Championship clubs for not giving them what they want.

An eight team league is no good. I think we all agree that but as a short term measure I think it would be grossly unfair to penalise Championship teams by changing the landscape at this stage. If we need to rebalance the leagues it should be after next season and be set out and known before the season kicks off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Colin James said:

Newcastle and London going will have been celebrated in certain L1 boardrooms, two long trips gone (long trips being referenced by one of the club statements as a problem with L1)

Absolute nonsense.

• Like 2