Newcastle Thunder

8 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Despite the handwringing on here the truth is most RL fans couldn't give a monkey's about clubs outside the heartlands. In fact, many of them actively dislike these clubs. 

In the end, you get what you want.

100% agree

Then come crying when the only reason they exist in the form they do (Sky TV Money), tells them that they are reducing their spending money, as these people outside the M62 are not subscribing to watch the M62 only game, and the M62 located fans are not paying enough in their Sky subscriptions to ensure that Sky keeps funding at the levels they need.

How many Professional clubs in SL would survive as Professional clubs with no Sky money.  5? 6?

• Like 8

Terrible news this morning. Really feel for the Thunder fans and communities.
Let's hope this isn't the final nail but very much sounds like that.

It's clear as a summers day that L1 and Championship structures have to change immediately before we lose anymore L1 clubs. This is simply unsustainable.

I appreciate that clubs have just played a season of rugby to determine their status for next season. But we cannot have the tail wagging the dog and we must do our utmost to allow others to survive (literally) for all to thrive. L1 chairman and CEO's I expect will be kicking down the doors of the RFL imminently to discuss this, right?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Get over yourself, using the death of a club to push your own pathetic agenda is sickening. Fans have lost their club, and here you are celebrating the fact so you can claim IMG is a failure. Youre a disgrace.

Agreed.

This is a real shame, but it clearly isn't IMGs fault is it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Despite the handwringing on here the truth is most RL fans couldn't give a monkey's about clubs outside the heartlands. In fact, many of them actively dislike these clubs. 

In the end, you get what you want.

Most RL fans couldn't give a monkeys about clubs outside of their own club. No need to make this an "heartlands" vs "expansion" division.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

Most RL fans couldn't give a monkeys about clubs outside of their own club. No need to make this an "heartlands" vs "expansion" division.

That’s not true tbf, if the game doesn’t grow our clubs won’t, I’d love my team to play top flight rugby but not at the expense of another clubs demise, to think that all fans are like that is an insular outlook tbh. 

5 minutes ago, phiggins said:

I work with a “RL supporter”. I told him about the Doncaster v NWC L1 play off final being available to watch on YouTube. He looked at me incredulously and was surprised that there was a team in North Wales. Having said that he also asked me if New Zealand Warriors play in New Zealand! I asked him if he was a RL fan and he replied that he was a SL fan. Probably because the team he supports is in SL.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, crashmon said:

This is the only real sensible outcome, which means ofc RL will never accept it

Or the most sensible outcome would be when Gradings come out make 3 leagues with the 12 best in top flight the nxt best 12 in champ and then the other 10 in league one, yes that is a extreme measure but we’re not in a position of strength and some tough calls need to be made tbf. 

6 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Merge L1 and Champ so each club gets 21 matches. And then split into a 12 team Champ and 10 team L1 for 24-25.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing but you then have to persuade the Championship clubs to take a cut in their central funding.

Just now, Rovers13 said:

Or the most sensible outcome would be when Gradings come out make 3 leagues with the 12 best in top flight the nxt best 12 in champ and then the other 10 in league one, yes that is a extreme measure but we’re not in a position of strength and some tough calls need to be made tbf. 

This also works for me but the likes of Doncater or Swinton might disagree here

Just now, crashmon said:

This also works for me but the likes of Doncater or Swinton might disagree here

I agree but imo why put clubs just below top league who are a million miles away from the top flight at this moment in time? Makes no sense to me tbh. 

3 minutes ago, crashmon said:

This is the only real sensible outcome, which means ofc RL will never accept it

To be fair to the RFL, my understanding was this was one of the options put forward by them at the recent meeting. It was the Championship clubs who voted against it. Sane logic as the SL league clubs not wanting to expand because of reduced funding. Probably the risk of say 4 clubs being relegated to L 1 this season 

it may ultimately be taken out of their hands if deemed for the good of the overall structure 

• Like 1

Combining the remainder of League 1 and the Championship is surely now the only viable option (even if it means applying the levels of funding that would have existed otherwise for the year).

No need for home and away, just all clubs play each other once in the 2024 season.

Yes, there will be blow-out scores, but they will be survivable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

To be fair to the RFL, my understanding was this was one of the options put forward by them at the recent meeting. It was the Championship clubs who voted against it. Sane logic as the SL league clubs not wanting to expand because of reduced funding. Probably the risk of say 4 clubs being relegated to L 1 this season 

it may ultimately be taken out of their hands if deemed for the good of the overall structure 

Yea thats why I put RL not RFL

The RFL clubs are like the republican party in the US, they know how to oppose things, but have no clue on how to actually govern, as they are unable to put the own Short term interests aside for the good of the game, even though that will doom them longer term.

• Like 2