Newcastle Thunder

On 12/10/2023 at 22:22, Griff said:

It nevertheless demonstrates that support for a national or international event doesn't necessarily mean that there will be huge queues for season tickets at your local Championship club.

Isn't it exactly the the same for all those who campaign for Internationals to be played in London, it doesn't transpire into larger crowds for the Bronco's, and if they beat Toulouse in the GF I suspect that any increase in attendances next year in SL will be by the not to be spoke about 'away fans'.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Isn't it exactly the the same for all those who campaign for Internationals to be played in London, it doesn't transpire into larger crowds for the Bronco's, and if they beat Toulouse in the GF I suspect that any increase in attendances next year in SL will be by the not to be spoke about 'away fans'.

It's true that the clubs most likely to collapse are those outside the heartlands, as we have seen over the past year.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

It's true that the clubs most likely to collapse are those outside the heartlands, as we have seen over the past year.

Do Chorley and Blackpool count as heartlands?

Bramley?

If Whitehaven go will they count as a heartland club going or not?

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Isn't it exactly the the same for all those who campaign for Internationals to be played in London, it doesn't transpire into larger crowds for the Bronco's, ...

Are you expecting the upcoming 2nd Test at Huddersfield to lift crowds at Halifax next year?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Do Chorley and Blackpool count as heartlands?

Bramley?

If Whitehaven go will they count as a heartland club going or not?

Hemel, Oxford, Gloucester, South Wales, West Wales, Northampton, Carlisle, Bridgend, Kent, Southend ....

I said most likely, not unheard of.

4 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Are you expecting the upcoming 2nd Test at Huddersfield to lift crowds at Halifax next year?

Won't even lift crowds at Huddersfield, no need to go all the way to Halifax😋.

Archie, it gives me no pleasure in saying last year when Newcastle ditched Full Time to go back part time I said on these pages "I will be very surprised if they last another year" and to be quite honest I'm not, there were to many things going against them.

For many years I travelled the length and breadth of the country in my job and always tried to spread the gospel of how great our game is, but to be honest it fell onto stoney ground, and you don't even have to go out of the heartlands as you point out with what I imagine was meant to be sarcastic but it was a very true comment.

That is why I have said for a good time now, concentrate in what we have, make it the best it can possibly be and put a lot of effort into the community game.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I doubt they will.  They are being well paid and will eventually do something to justify that.

Social media enables everyone to say what they like when they like or copy/paste someone else’s comment and make it their own.  

Iirc img are providing ‘advice’.  It is up to the chief execs to take it and action it if they wish.  Remember the biggest percentage (imo) of consultants mantra is - ‘give me your watch and I’ll tell you the time’.  To judge whether that is valid we have to see what new ideas or suggestions have been brought in.  Do we know?

We do know. The new grading system is their plan.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Won't even lift crowds at Huddersfield, no need to go all the way to Halifax😋.

Archie, it gives me no pleasure in saying last year when Newcastle ditched Full Time to go back part time I said on these pages "I will be very surprised if they last another year" and to be quite honest I'm not, there were to many things going against them.

For many years I travelled the length and breadth of the country in my job and always tried to spread the gospel of how great our game is, but to be honest it fell onto stoney ground, and you don't even have to go out of the heartlands as you point out with what I imagine was meant to be sarcastic but it was a very true comment.

That is why I have said for a good time now, concentrate in what we have, make it the best it can possibly be and put a lot of effort into the community game.

The heartlands have been tapped out. And that area doesn't even include the big population centres of the North which are growing unlike small towns which are in decline. 7 of the top ten cities by population have barely any rugby league. Concentrate on what you have just means contraction. It's an attitude which seems to be common across all aspects of life in the UK.

1 minute ago, NW10LDN said:

The heartlands have been tapped out. And that area doesn't even include the big population centres of the North which are growing unlike small towns which are in decline. 7 of the top ten cities by population have barely any rugby league. Concentrate on what you have just means contraction. It's an attitude which seems to be common across all aspects of life in the UK.

As much as I agree with this, if you haven’t a strong base to build from you can’t expand out. 

• Like 1

So, here is a controversial suggestion, as Newcastle we’re going to be relegated and now are no more, why not just promote 1 team from league 1 or suspend promotion for this season altogether, that way you keep the number of clubs in league 1 as per this season and only upset 1 or 2 clubs and their supporters rather than trying to rejig the whole league system and probably, depending on which club you are and where you would end up, upsetting the majority. After all self interest is far more important than the good of the game, or so it would seem at times!

Just now, Rovers13 said:

As much as I agree with this, if you haven’t a strong base to build from you can’t expand out. 

This is just excuse used to justify poor management of the sport. The strong base was there and the RFL failed to expand out. Letting someone set up a club with their own money doesn't count. The problem is that the base is declining in the heartlands. Playing numbers are falling at youth and adult level. Union has the same problem as well. Having a wider footprint would have countered that. Forget about London. You've got big cities and towns in the North where RL is afterthought.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

This is just excuse used to justify poor management of the sport. The strong base was there and the RFL failed to expand out. Letting someone set up a club with their own money doesn't count. The problem is that the base is declining in the heartlands. Playing numbers are falling at youth and adult level. Union has the same problem as well. Having a wider footprint would have countered that. Forget about London. You've got big cities and towns in the North where RL is afterthought.

RFL as wasted a lot of money clubs too, but the point I’m trying to make is their is no money and we need money to expand, you can’t just throw a Edinburgh into the league system without a plan and financial help. 

15 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

We do know. The new grading system is their plan.

Yes and no.  Grading has always been on the SL and RFL agenda.  Remember stadia standards?  Academy standards and Dave Rotherham? 

Which other decisions?

I think IMG will come to regret their time in rugby league. They are now getting blamed for the decisions of a club made prior to them signing an agreement with the RFL.

15 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Yes I understand that, so where do you suggest RL lays its hat, where would it be welcome, which big city is not controlled by football? For all the good things said about the amatuer scene in the north east and it is good we still cannot make a go of it with a footprint there no matter how small it is, simply put and it galls me to say it RL does not travel well in the UK it is really not wanted apart from a few such as yourself.

Edited by Harry Stottle

I don't think the RFL should be micro-managing new clubs,  McDonalds might do it, but they're not running a national championship.

It's a non-starter.  Could even be regarded as corrupt.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I understand that, so where do you suggest RL lays its hat, where would it be welcome, which big city is not controlled by football? For all the good things said about the amatuer scene in the north east and it is good we still cannot make a go of it with a footprint there no matter how small it is, simply put and it galls me to say it RL does not travel well in the UK it is really not wanted apart from a few such as yourself.

The RFL has never made a serious effort to grow the sport beyond a few token gestures. I'm not even talking about London here but places right next door to the heartlands.

9 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

You are correct playing numbers are falling, that is why I say put all the effort into making what we have the best it can be, if we don't get the community game stronger where it is based there will be no need for expansion at all, there will be no gane to expand.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Because it isn't wanted.

OK name those places please.

Bolton, Blackburn, most of Manchester, Liverpool, Sunderland, Barnsley. I could go on.

3 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Bolton, Blackburn, most of Manchester, Liverpool, Sunderland, Barnsley. I could go on.

Wait - Sunderland is next door to the heartland?

Where do you buy your maps?

Like London build a RL club in arsenal not a chance it would get off the ground, the only reason teams like Wigan Leeds etc are ok Is because these clubs have been around years. 

4 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Everywhere is a football stronghold in the UK.