Championship Meeting #2

15 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Not sure how much has been mentioned about it but a lot of teams already have season tickets on sale based on the current structure, what happens if the 2 divisions are forced to megre, that in itself is going to cost some teams a lot of money. 

What's your thinking there?

We're definitely not going to have 21 home games.

• Confused 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Griff said:

What's your thinking there?

We're definitely not going to have 21 home games.

There is a chance it could mean an increase in the number of games, although unlikely it is a possibility, but people have paid in good faith knowing which teams they will be paying to watch and suddenly finding out you have a totally different schedule could mean people asking for refunds, again that is unlikely, but it could slow ticket sales. I know I were already picking and choosing games next season but I have literally no interest in watching us play against League 1 sides. I can watch the community game and watch the same standard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Championship teams will of already budgeted for playing squads as well as things such as buses for away travel and hospitality packages for home games. I think reserves teams in L1 is the way it'll go, even if just for a season and then a merged league in some capacity. 

I can understand the frustrations of L1 clubs, but this way they'll get more games in the season and a little more revenue. After all, this whole thing was just about them getting more games and playing in a sustainable league.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

There is a chance it could mean an increase in the number of games, although unlikely it is a possibility, but people have paid in good faith knowing which teams they will be paying to watch and suddenly finding out you have a totally different schedule could mean people asking for refunds, again that is unlikely, but it could slow ticket sales. I know I were already picking and choosing games next season but I have literally no interest in watching us play against League 1 sides. I can watch the community game and watch the same standard.

League 1 are suggesting 14.  My thinking is we've already got a season lasting almost nine months.  Add a couple of weeks and it'll be just over nine.  How will we fit all these games in?  When are players going to take their families on holiday?

The season's too long as it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

League One are pointing out that, if they were in the Championship, they'd be able to sign better players.

My argument against that would be that the talent would be spread more thinly if that happened.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry it wasn't very clear, you said why not re structure the 3 leagues, I was being a tad facetious in saying how?

Perhaps have the wealthiest or best attended 12 clubs in the first division, followed by the next 14 in the second division, and the remaining 9 in a third division.

So I was as I say being silly or maybe just stating the obvious, but seriously how would you approach your suggestion to restructure the game as a whole?

Perhaps not the right forum for this but two leagues of 16 & 18, with automatic promotion and relegation of two clubs to give some life blood to the game as a whole. End of season top 4 play off. But make the league comp the main trophy 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Championship teams will of already budgeted for playing squads as well as things such as buses for away travel and hospitality packages for home games. I think reserves teams in L1 is the way it'll go, even if just for a season and then a merged league in some capacity. 

I can understand the frustrations of L1 clubs, but this way they'll get more games in the season and a little more revenue. After all, this whole thing was just about them getting more games and playing in a sustainable league.

So let’s say you have a bad season and get relegated bet you wouldn’tt be pushing reserves teams for L1 then!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Griff said:

League One are pointing out that, if they were in the Championship, they'd be able to sign better players.

My argument against that would be that the talent would be spread more thinly if that happened.

The talent is there. Just some clubs are more obsessed with bringing in second rate players from down under rather than working with their young talent 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

So let’s say you have a bad season and get relegated bet you wouldn’tt be pushing reserves teams for L1 then!

What? I literally said that after this season it should be a merged league in some format? Are you just looking for an argument over this with people??

2 hours ago, BD20Cougar said:

Apologies if it has been mentioned somewhere but one major problem I see with reserve teams being added into the league that I haven't seen brought up is the potentially huge variation in the quality of lineup they'll be able to name from week to week, and the effect this will have on the integrity of the competition.

For example a Wigan Warriors reserves at full strength, perhaps with a couple of first teamers playing to gain match fitness is a completely different entity to a Wigan reserves side at a point in time where the first team is having an injury crisis and have called up the better reserve players to the first team or prevented them from playing so as not to risk more injuries.

In short, I believe the gap in quality between how a SL reserve team could look at their best versus at their worst is just too great for them to be a part of a league where teams are competing for real rewards. Automatic promotion or the race for the last play off spot should not be decided by who got lucky with the reserve sides they played against.

I mentioned this earlier, theres a very good chance of massive inconsistency on their match day squads. The only way this works (and I dont think it will help the L1 clubs at all) is if the reserve teams have a set squad to pick from, same as the other teams and have to work around the transfer windows etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Just going back to your previous question, for me personally I would rather pay £15 to watch my team play against potential stars of the future rather than playing £15 to watch my team against a bunch of lads that would not get in my local community team. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

And if your team hadn't just stayed up on points difference would you have the same opinion, also take note of your img rating, its time for clubs to pull together 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just going back to your previous question, for me personally I would rather pay £15 to watch my team play against potential stars of the future rather than playing £15 to watch my team against a bunch of lads that would not get in my local community team. Just my opinion though.

I think if you look at the EFL cup attendances involving under 21 league teams you can gauge people's attitudes, know plenty of Carlisle united fans who refuse to watch the games involving these teams

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Route66 said:

I think if you look at the EFL cup attendances involving under 21 league teams you can gauge people's attitudes, know plenty of Carlisle united fans who refuse to watch the games involving these teams

Fair point, I would imagine around 1k tops at city for Man City U21s on Tuesday compared with 17k average and 22k against disney boys last sat. Is rugby the same? We might just be about to find out 

8 hours ago, distantdog said:

How you've described it, it would seem to be a good move for the reserve teams. The success or attractiveness of this model depends on the competitiveness of the games. I am not sure how competitive it would be.

Yes it does seem to be a good move for the reserve teams.

But there again L1 as a problem - but hey lets do something good for SL teams and give their reserves more games???

Only in RL would this happen!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Personally think including reserve teams could be a very good move. League 1 fans get to watch future talent and that future talent gets to play at a slightly better level than reserve grade which could aid their development.

So we could see a SL team dropping to champ al a wakey and their reserves coming up to champ from L1. How would that work (single dual cuptie exempt registration)?

6 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

You only missed being in it yourself by a points differance of 3

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Perhaps not the right forum for this but two leagues of 16 & 18, with automatic promotion and relegation of two clubs to give some life blood to the game as a whole. End of season top 4 play off. But make the league comp the main trophy 

Forget automatic promotion and relegation with a 16 team Superleague.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

I don't know if I have missed it but is there a possibility that one or more reserve teams could get promoted to the championship or has the definitely been ruled out

I'd be pretty sure they'd be exempt from promotion, although should this happen and a reserves side finishes in a promotion position who, if anyone, gets promoted becomes an interesting question.