The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

A grade clubs giving  money to B clubs? And in turn that could turn an A club into a B?

You don’t incentivise clubs to becoming an A club by giving B clubs more cash

If they dropped from A to B they would get more money to help them get back up.

If A clubs don't fall back with reduced funding they will have proved themselves worthy of the A grade. 

Everybody wins, this is about getting an increased number of sustainable clubs right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hopie said:

If they dropped from A to B they would get more money to help them get back up.

If A clubs don't fall back with reduced funding they will have proved themselves worthy of the A grade. 

Everybody wins, this is about getting an increased number of sustainable clubs right?

No, not rewarding your top clubs is ridiculous, it’s moot anyway because the SL clubs quite rightly all get the same

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Weve had minimum standards (in fact we still do) they didn’t work and you would have the same people that are moaning now moaning when teams got kicked out or didn’t get promoted because of minimum standards.

They would have if they had been enforced properly. Chucking out Trinity and Cas for not updating their grounds would have done the trick IMO.

Edited by Rambo
Spelling
rambo.gif

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

No, not rewarding your top clubs is ridiculous, it’s moot anyway because the SL clubs quite rightly all get the same

Are the top clubs the one with the best grades or the ones at the top of the table?

Those who win trophies get prize money, they should find it easier to attract fans and sponsors, etc etc, they get rewarded lots. All I'm saying is they shouldn't get more central funding than a club that needs it more, it's for the good of the game as a whole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hopie said:

Are the top clubs the one with the best grades or the ones at the top of the table?

Those who win trophies get prize money, they should find it easier to attract fans and sponsors, etc etc, they get rewarded lots. All I'm saying is they shouldn't get more central funding than a club that needs it more, it's for the good of the game as a whole.

The top clubs are the ones that sky pay to broadcast.

I doubt theres a sport in the world that gives the clubs in the lower leagues more than the ones in the top league.

it’s just tail wagging dog and theres a reason other sports don’t do it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So you don’t think on field is all that matters?

On field is all that matters to me. I couldn’t care less what the stadium facilities are like at any given club.

The box ticking exercises in sport is just how things have gone.

Will the IMG tinkering really make me enjoy the game better than when I first started watching in the 1980’s?? I very much doubt it.

Edited by Rambo
Spelling
  • Haha 1
rambo.gif

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think there would have been more of an outcry if Fev had gone up this season and most people would accept them as been the dominant team in the Championship for well over a decade and a pretty forward thinking club yet if they had gone up they would still face the same consequences as London in getting relegated after the 2024 season which again just sounds like madness.

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Exactly, the only club from the Championship this year that had a chance staying up in 2025 was Toulouse.

To me, this is something significant that's getting glossed over.

Promotion this year wasn't just pointless (and there's a chance that'll be literal) for the eternal basket-case that is David Hughes' London Broncos. 

Edited by Stuff Smith
Change of tense!

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Again your looking short term, but if you do want to look at it short term we have a club in the elite league next year who are not run well enough to be there, that’s what its fixing

That particular club was up until recently being touted as a “must” include in the elite league in the name of expansion and TV income so which is it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, binosh said:

That particular club was up until recently being touted as a “must” include in the elite league in the name of expansion and TV income so which is it?

No they weren't.

London is a strategic area for the sport.

London Broncos aren't necessarily the vehicle through which that strategy will be achieved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

By who? 

By many posters on here, also IMG named them earlier in the season as an important team in future plans. 

And don’t play dumb suddenly, M62 corridor and London expansion is mentioned on every other thread 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

Who is then London Skolars?

Another imaginary club that under the new rules knows that if it can get £20m - £30m investment and get 7,500 crowds in league one and the champ it might get into SL if the goalposts aren't moved again.

Should be easy under the new rules now the "pathway" is defined.

Apparently.

1 minute ago, gittinsfan said:

I'm up to page 51 so far and not seen this mentioned.Are gradings taken into account when deciding promotion/relegation between the lower leagues.

And if not why not?

Because SL incumbents don't care - so they didn't bother with it.

It would interesting to know if and why a grade C club should be allowed in the champ at the expense of a grade B club.

Edited by Leonard

Just now, gittinsfan said:

I'm up to page 51 so far and not seen this mentioned.Are gradings taken into account when deciding promotion/relegation between the lower leagues.

And if not why not?

They haven’t decided the format yet and still not sure how many teams will make the start line 

1 minute ago, gittinsfan said:

And if not why not?

No, on the basis that the difference between lower Bs and Cs is significantly smaller bridge to gap. 

The aim is to have a championship full of strong B Grade clubs however going forwards.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Wonder why that is then, whats changed ? 😉

It's nothing to do with IMG, I can tell you that. If Wakefield Council had done their job correctly Wakey would have had a new ground years ago. Once the Council Leader Peter Box left, that was the change. They didn't get the stadium they were promised but at least some funds to make significant improvement to Belle Vue.

Also they now a have a very wealthy owner and further improvements will come as a result. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Evidently not alone no. 

London Broncos aren't RL in London, just as Catalans aren't RL in France. The sport has to be bigger than that.

IMG are quoted in this article as saying no new club will be formed in London and mistake need to be learned from. It can only be Broncos or Skolars.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2022/dec/15/london-img-transform-rugby-league