Club Grading

Bedford Roughyed

4 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Punished for the years of neglect by CH

I think neglect is wrong.  Years of scrapping by might be more appropriate.  

• Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Punished for the years of neglect by CH

I am aware that we are going to have a difference of opinion here, but I have to say that this is a strange attitude to take. However much you don't like the person, summing up all the personal sacrifices that CH made, along with others who gave their all to ensue that the club stayed afloat, as 'neglect', is totally disrespectful. 

Don't forget that, the new board themselves, would not be in a position to take the the club forward to a more positive future, without the change of ownership at Boundary park, combined with the bold move by Oldham Council, to invest in the new pitch, enabling both clubs to play there. 

I, like everyone else, are looking forward to watching our club progress and have an exciting future, but the relevance of the years since 1997, should never be expressed in such a dismissive way. 

• Like 5

Totally agree with Logic, its disrespectful and wrong to dismiss the CH years as "neglect "

Without CH and fantastic volunteers we wouldn't have a club. No money, no ground, one person running the show,amazing we survived at all.

Let's now rally our family/friends to snap up season tickets. Our new Board have invested heavily, lets back them; joint Rugby/Latics season ticket could be a real winner. Great time to be an Oldham fan!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of our score.

You can work most of it out yourself from the grading handbook, free to download since June.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I thought you lot were in a great position to look to the future given the last few months….why the attention on the past?

Cant wait to get your all stars at ‘Crown Royal’. Big crowd….big upset?

And if it happens there will be somebody come on here and blame CH!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 25/10/2023 at 14:28, sheddingswasus said:

The grading is over three years, so given the new management have only had 6 months this is a result. We missed grade B by a whisker. 

Wish it had been over the last 6 months then the Rams would probably be grade B,but unfortunately it's over 3 years and we all know we've been dire. Anyway good luck to you all, you've certainly made a statement with your recruitment, on and off the field👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been reading some of the comments from fans of other clubs on the forums and the statements from the boards of said other clubs and there seems to be a lot of vitriol from those who didn't make the grade they think they should be. I'm happy with ours. We all know we've been down there in the gutter. But we know we are ,at last, on the up. We, as fans, have to do our bit. Buy those season tickets, sign up to social media, turn up in droves. Bring mates and family . I've said before, the average crowd in the championship was 2,012. Even though we're in league 1, let's get that and more. Come on Oldham come on Oldham!!

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

There are two metrics. One is getting off field matters put right, the other is onfield performance. If we don’t get promotion by winning them league then we won’t be on next year’s championship which is now a must 

I noticed,from other forums, that electronic advertising hoardings give extra points. Some posters are bemoaning this. BP has them but how many other RL grounds have them?

3 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I noticed,from other forums, that electronic advertising hoardings give extra points. Some posters are bemoaning this. BP has them but how many other RL grounds have them?

It gave us .25 points, but that may have been diluted by 2/3 as it is historical over three years

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Problem with this IMG stuff in my opinion is the range back over three years. It doesn’t aid clubs who are able to better themselves. 
so if I have understood this correctly the led boards would only give us .25 points x 1/3 for next year. 

or vice versa…..Newcastle were graded based on playing at a stadium they have recently vacated.

London, who won promotion to Superleague by their performance on the field are guaranteed relegation next year it appears…even if they were to win the competition!

What a sad state of affairs when fans have to be more concerned with LED boards than game results if they want to see their team progress.

Maybe we should rename the King Cotton Derby the battle of the LEDs

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Problem with this IMG stuff in my opinion is the range back over three years. It doesn’t aid clubs who are able to better themselves. 
so if I have understood this correctly the led boards would only give us .25 points x 1/3 for next year. 

The assessments and subsequent gradings are to be carried out annually. Worrying about the fine detail is futile at present, unless you expect to be in SL within two years.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

or vice versa…..Newcastle were graded based on playing at a stadium they have recently vacated.

London, who won promotion to Superleague by their performance on the field are guaranteed relegation next year it appears…even if they were to win the competition!

What a sad state of affairs when fans have to be more concerned with LED boards than game results if they want to see their team progress.

Maybe we should rename the King Cotton Derby the battle of the LEDs

On-field performance is still one of the highest scoring criteria. Quite rightly this is assessed over three years to prevent any club simply buying a one-year boost. One reason for London's poor scoring is their on-field performance over the previous years.

Acting as a devil's advocate might I suggest that certain "traditionalist" supporters (present company excluded, of course) would normally be spending a part of next season complaining that London weren't fit for SL due to their poor attendances/inadequate ground/lack of any real tradition, poor history in the Lancashire leagues etc?

• Like 1