Super League Rebrand

11 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

AThanks Geek. However, for whatever the cause RL has lost the most important - and cheapest - weapon that any sport (or anything else come to that) can have: confidence. 

It just doesn't believe in itself.

Spot on.

It feels as if we are always a bit apologetic about existing or, if not exactly apologetic, still convinced that we are a 'new' sport having to introduce things to viewers. Changing the name of our premier comp - or even the name of the sport! - feeds into this sense of never feeling established. It's the attitude that needs to change; not the name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

That's correct but if RL had enough confidence, it could have still issued a "hands off" warning. Maybe that would not have resulted in them backing off but it just seems to roll over at every challenge to names etc. Maybe I'm being unduly harsh here, it's just how I see it. 

So why didn’t football and RU stop all other sports from using premier league or Premiership. My guess is they are just generic terms and it isn’t possible to enforce. Now if you started using Barclays premier or Betfred SL then that I’m sure would be something you could take to court. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

So why didn’t football and RU stop all other sports from using premier league or Premiership. My guess is they are just generic terms and it isn’t possible to enforce. Now if you started using Barclays premier or Betfred SL then that I’m sure would be something you could take to court. 

Because, as Archie alluded to in the previous post, those games have enough confidence to do whatever they are doing and stick with it. The Scottish game used the term Premier league long before the English one so it was already a term used in football. 

And I didn't necessarily mean taking legal action, just a bit of "Oi - we use that term, ###### off" can be enough sometimes. 

Not as simple as that though I accept. 

What is surprising is football using SL for the women's game when they already use Premier for the men's game , so I can see us rebranding only for football to follow suit a few years later to Women's Premier League and due to equality rebranding as Men's Premier League 

Leave it alone , but start to work harder 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Because, as Archie alluded to in the previous post, those games have enough confidence to do whatever they are doing and stick with it. The Scottish game used the term Premier league long before the English one so it was already a term used in football. 

And I didn't necessarily mean taking legal action, just a bit of "Oi - we use that term, ###### off" can be enough sometimes. 

Not as simple as that though I accept. 

So we did nothing because we lack confidence but the premier league did nothing because they have loads of confidence. 

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What is surprising is football using SL for the women's game when they already use Premier for the men's game , so I can see us rebranding only for football to follow suit a few years later to Women's Premier League and due to equality rebranding as Men's Premier League 

Leave it alone , but start to work harder 

It’s not surprising. There always was a Premier League in the women’s game and the WSL was created to sit above it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

After being through a couple of trademark disputes with work and trademarking brands that we have I'd be surprised if you can trademark the phrase "Super League" as its just far too generic. Even "Super Rugby League" might be difficult. What they tend to trademark are the logos and typefaces etc so your ability to defend it is limited when it's just usage of words. 

We had a similar battle with a rival company who tried to trademark a product weve both been making for 100 years. It cost us tens of thousands to fight and in the end the trademark office basically gave us both a trademark for the name including our brands but the generic name itself was untrademarkable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It’s not surprising. There always was a Premier League in the women’s game and the WSL was created to sit above it.

Which is bonkers , does it still exist ? , I can still see equality tying it all together at some point 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Which is bonkers , does it still exist ? ,

No longer. It goes WSL, Championship and then National Leagues which are regionalised, then regional leagues then county leagues. It's not a bad structure in terms of it mostly now makes logical sense - didn't always.

I'm not sure they would call it Premier League again as, globally, the WPL is the Women's IPL in cricket and is just huge, and, possibly more importantly, I believe the FA are looking to sell it so the tie-in wouldn't happen anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No longer. It goes WSL, Championship and then National Leagues which are regionalised, then regional leagues then county leagues. It's not a bad structure in terms of it mostly now makes logical sense - didn't always.

I'm not sure they would call it Premier League again as, globally, the WPL is the Women's IPL in cricket and is just huge, and, possibly more importantly, I believe the FA are looking to sell it so the tie-in wouldn't happen anyway.

Depends how highly equality gets involved 

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

What exactly did the PL have to do? They could call it "The Blancmange Championship" if they desired. And that's where building things up and confidence gets you. 

They don’t have to do anything but if there was a way to stop anyone else using premier league they would’ve.

So as a game we should have a bit of confidence in the brand. Either RL Super League or Betfred Super League are distinctive enough from any other league. There is no magic name out there that will suddenly push us up the national consciousness. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Bit of a contradiction , National and Europe 

The NRL it’s self isn’t a national RL having clubs from two countries and looking like a third could soon be added. As I said later I wouldn’t expect us to be using that unless there was some sort of take over/link up with the NRL. 

On 29/10/2023 at 05:27, The Masked Poster said:

That's correct but if RL had enough confidence, it could have still issued a "hands off" warning. Maybe that would not have resulted in them backing off but it just seems to roll over at every challenge to names etc. Maybe I'm being unduly harsh here, it's just how I see it. 

If they had to defend their claim in court that could be expensive and they likely couldn't afford that.