Super League Rebrand

12 hours ago, RP London said:

Absolutely not... Level 3 has to be Rugby League League then I am all in!!

And collectively the new structure will be the League of Rugby League Leagues.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I like using RFL.

I think I first heard it used in that sense by Eric Perez talking about having to go through "the levels of the RFL" with Toronto. 

The specific comps could be: 

RFL Premiership/Super League

RFL Championship

RFL League 1

But I like the idea of referring to the sport and pro Leagues by a similar 3 letter term. Also doesn't have the geographical hangups that NRL would have for us or the, admittedly for most people minor, confusion with European RL.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I like using RFL.

I think I first heard it used in that sense by Eric Perez talking about having to go through "the levels of the RFL" with Toronto. 

The specific comps could be: 

RFL Premiership/Super League

RFL Championship

RFL League 1

But I like the idea of referring to the sport and pro Leagues by a similar 3 letter term. Also doesn't have the geographical hangups that NRL would have for us or the, admittedly for most people minor, confusion with European RL.

Those are probably the most sensible options for our three tiers in the pro/semi-pro game. So that won’t happen then! Ha!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Regardless of whether you liked the name SL or not, in this country Rugby League had that name sewn up in terms of 'ownership' or association by the early to mid 00's/10's.

Leaving it to slide then just saying "well women's football have it now" is just lazy. 

It’s also pragmatic 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Regardless of whether you liked the name SL or not, in this country Rugby League had that name sewn up in terms of 'ownership' or association by the early to mid 00's/10's.

Leaving it to slide then just saying "well women's football have it now" is just lazy. 

It is, but its symptomatic of where the sport ranks and how the sport has invested in itself.

If Super League was a serious national brand with kudos and recognition, then the FA and Netball would have gone with something else.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s also pragmatic 

Worth noting the when you put super league in google the majority of searches still come up as the Betfred SL. We’d be giving good brand recognition up to start again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Well that would exclude league 1 then

Is that if we do it regionally so yorkshire is league 1 and Lancashire league 6.. I like it :kolobok_ph34r:

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Worth noting the when you put super league in google the majority of searches still come up as the Betfred SL. We’d be giving good brand recognition up to start again. 

The majority of searches for you maybe. I’d suggest that might be because you look at Rugby League sites. I think Google searches are tailored to your history 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is, but its symptomatic of where the sport ranks and how the sport has invested in itself.

If Super League was a serious national brand with kudos and recognition, then the FA and Netball would have gone with something else.

There’s talk that a proposed RU premiership and United Rugby Championship clubs league may be called Super League as well. So maybe we just came up with a good idea that other sports are following. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Super League just never works for me because of the sports name being Rugby League. The term Rugby League just creates so many issues. I know people say change it to Super Rugby League but that sounds as much as a RU competition as anything to so with Rugby League. 

For me it has to be the Rugby League Premiership then the Rugby League Championship. The name of the sport has to be first to clearly identify the sport then the competition and this eliminates any confusion.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Super League just never works for me because of the sports name being Rugby League. The term Rugby League just creates so many issues. I know people say change it to Super Rugby League but that sounds as much as a RU competition as anything to so with Rugby League. 

For me it has to be the Rugby League Premiership then the Rugby League Championship. The name of the sport has to be first to clearly identify the sport then the competition and this eliminates any confusion.

That would’ve been the ideal from the start the question is how much recognition we lose by dropping SL now. 

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

That would’ve been the ideal from the start the question is how much recognition we lose by dropping SL now. 

I personally don't think this is a big thing and am unsure how strong the SL brand is anyway. I know it's personal opinion but there is much about it that doesn't really work for me. RL fans will quickly become aware of any rebrand and in the wider sporting world other competitions have encroached on any Super League name recognition anyway.

I think with the whole changes in 2025 then it is ripe for rebranding and starting again then.