Super League Rebrand

Seems to eb doing the rounds that a rebrand isn't off the table. OK, but I thought it was coming soon, never mind off the table! 

Are we actually going to do anything that IMG have recommended. Not scrapping Magic, not getting rid of loop fixtures, not rebranding.... 

I laughed when I saw the CEO saying that they wouldn't rebrand when they are working through a new TV deal, and that they had just announced a new 3 Year Betfred deal so that hampers them. Are they really incapable of doing more than one thing at once? 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

It needs a rebrand IMO, and almost just down to the fact Women’s football use it.

I do think our sport name is problematic. 

I really like Rugby League Championship or similar, but Championship means 2nd div now. 

• Like 1

It needs a rebrand IMO, and almost just down to the fact Women’s football use it.

Was there any reason they didn't trademark the name back in 1996 to stop other sports using it? Seems like yet another rugby league own goal along the lines of Rugby World Cup (I still can't believe they never challenged RU on that one) and 'Touch' (a sport that shares so many similarities to rugby league I cannot fathom why the RFL didn't try and enforce it to come under their umbrella, in much the same way RU seems to successfully do with RL in many countries).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do think our sport name is problematic. 

I really like Rugby League Championship or similar, but Championship means 2nd div now. 

I even think just adding rugby back into SL would be better, however I do think IMG might want a complete rehaul.

Rugby League as a sports name throws up all sorts of issues when trying to brand a ‘league’ for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Was there any reason they didn't trademark the name back in 1996 to stop other sports using it? Seems like yet another rugby league own goal along the lines of Rugby World Cup (I still can't believe they never challenged RU on that one) and 'Touch' (a sport that shares so many similarities to rugby league I cannot fathom why the RFL didn't try and enforce it to come under their umbrella, in much the same way RU seems to successfully do with RL in many countries).

Incompetence?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Seems to eb doing the rounds that a rebrand isn't off the table. OK, but I thought it was coming soon, never mind off the table! 

Are we actually going to do anything that IMG have recommended. Not scrapping Magic, not getting rid of loop fixtures, not rebranding.... 

I laughed when I saw the CEO saying that they wouldn't rebrand when they are working through a new TV deal, and that they had just announced a new 3 Year Betfred deal so that hampers them. Are they really incapable of doing more than one thing at once? 

Did IMG recommend group stage CC games?

That gives me the fear.

2 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

ERL 

I don’t mind that

Elite RL or Europe RL? Either way it would have to be marketed as ERL like NRL, I don’t know wether its a thing but Im sure premier league seem to have started to push EPL a bit more, coukd just be my perception though as I don’t follow football 

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Doesn’t make sense though I don’t think, National Rugby League Europe?

Neither does the Aussie one but it still works. I suppose  NRL would only happen if there was a linking of the competitions anyway and I can’t see that happening. 

Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It's a shame that the first thing the RFL thought of wasn't to trademark the name to stop other sports using it...

Super League is trademarked.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It's a shame that the first thing the RFL thought of wasn't to trademark the name to stop other sports using it...

Thing is it doesn’t even have to be trademarked to stop them using it, prior use can do that, unfortunately it would get costly and theres more money in Football to throw around

Thing is it doesn’t even have to be trademarked to stop them using it, prior use can do that, unfortunately it would get costly and theres more money in Football to throw around

It's also is trademarked and you couldn't stop someone calling their different sport's league Super League anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)