Trainers on the pitch

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Physio is allowed on the field at any time.

See the operational rules, medical section.

Doctor (red top) is also allowed on at any time. When she (or he) is on the field, the game stops.

The people who spend inordinate amounts of time on the pitch aren’t physios or doctors . They are ‘ trainers ‘ who are basically on the coaching staff 

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

Physio is allowed on the field at any time.

Yes, I think we all know that.

Them being on the field passing on tactics is what we're talking about.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I just had a look at the England game.  At times there was the guy in the yellow top and two in orange tops on.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, I think we all know that.

Them being on the field passing on tactics is what we're talking about.

Daz didn't. I replied to him.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I just had a look at the England game.  At times there was the guy in the yellow top and two in orange tops on.

Making three substitutions at a time requires three men in different t-shirts.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why is a physio on the field pulling subs?

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Physios don't make subs. Yellow shirts are allowed on the pitch to do so. There are also rules governing when they can go on the pitch.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I thought you said you understood about the physios. Maybe review that claim?

14 minutes ago, Griff said:

I thought you said you understood about the physios. Maybe review that claim?

I understand.

The issue is that people are on the pitch at all times passing on tactical and other instructions. They are not providing physio or medical help, nor are they substituting.

Anyone who has seen a game of rugby league at any time in the past 25 years is aware that this happens all the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I understand.

The issue is that people are on the pitch at all times passing on tactical and other instructions. They are not providing physio or medical help, nor are they substituting.

Anyone who has seen a game of rugby league at any time in the past 25 years is aware that this happens all the time.

You can hear what they say, then?

Or are you just making stuff up?

4 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Taken to new heights yesterday with both teams seemingly having two "trainers" on the pitch when in possession.

Why does the referee not send them off the field. The England Johnny Vegas in yellow shirt didn't have any water or medical kit so what was he doing on the pitch for 40 minutes?

One of the kids commented on Johnny Vegas n’all.

”Dad, if he’s one of the trainers, he’s not setting a very good example is he?” 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Or are you just making stuff up

I’m watching the game without any need to defend my role in it.

You?

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’m watching the game without any need to defend my role in it.

You?

So am I.

You've no idea what's being said. There are a referee, two touch judges, maybe in goal judges, a fourth official and probably a match commissioner. Are you saying they're not doing their jobs? Is it another case of blame the ref?

At one point Tonga had 5 non playing staff on the field (blue, yellow and orange shirts) and they are clearly their to coach the team. Australia also had multiple coaches on the field during the World cup final. I would ban all staff from the field unless allowed by a ref (excluding the doctor obviously). 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hopie said:

At one point Tonga had 5 non playing staff on the field (blue, yellow and orange shirts) and they are clearly their to coach the team. Australia also had multiple coaches on the field during the World cup final. I would ban all staff from the field unless allowed by a ref (excluding the doctor obviously). 

Clear in what way? Our physio's a great physio but he's not a tactical genius.

Edited by Griff

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Clear in what way? Our physio's a great physio but he's not a tactical genius.

They often point to players and tell them where to stand.

O'Loughlin at Wigan is/was a serial offender for this. Other than touching the ball he may as well have been playing with the amount of organising he does on the pitch.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They often point to players and tell them where to stand.

O'Loughlin at Wigan is/was a serial offender for this. Other than touching the ball he may as well have been playing with the amount of organising he does on the pitch.

I didn't realise he was a physio.

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

Maybe go back to two subs - but only in the first half.

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I can’t be the only one confused reading these exchanges . Everybody seems to be talking about one thing and one person is talking about something else . Or I’m confused , which I am 

I thought it was more...... every one talking sense and one person talking rubbish.... just to be contrary, otherwise you would have to think something else

• Like 1

I think all non playing staff should be banned from going on the field, unless a player goes down injured and then only allowed to treat him and then leave the field immediately. I find it really irritating. It doesn't happen in other sports. 

The England bloke in the yellow top is only on the field to coach and should be removed by the ref 

Looking at the off-field staff by category, we have:

Red shirt - Doctor

Orange shirt - Physio

Blue shirt - Water carrier

Yellow shirt - Trainer

The doctor and physio obviously need to be able to come onto the field when necessary.

I can accept that on a hot day or as the players have been on the field for some time they will need re-hydrating and the water carrier is therefore necessary (at the referee's discretion).

Can anyone explain to me why a trainer needs to be on the field at all?

Do any other sports allow a coach (rather than medical staff) to be on the field during play?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Looking at the off-field staff by category, we have:

Red shirt - Doctor

Orange shirt - Physio

Blue shirt - Water carrier

Yellow shirt - Trainer

The doctor and physio obviously need to be able to come onto the field when necessary.

I can accept that on a hot day or as the players have been on the field for some time they will need re-hydrating and the water carrier is therefore necessary (at the referee's discretion).

Can anyone explain to me why a trainer needs to be on the field at all?

Do any other sports allow a coach (rather than medical staff) to be on the field during play?

Other sports stop the game when subs are made or when players are injured.

We could always go back to doing that, of course, but at the moment the rules are what they are.

V02 and I have said what the rules are.

Everyone else seems to be saying we should change the rules.