Next season confirmed... Almost

The Art of Hand and Foot

31 minutes ago, YoungYed said:

So the big question is it just one up? 

This is my question as well. The statement says there's play offs and a grand final as normal, I presume that's played between teams finishing 2nd to 5th and top would have automatic promotion as usual. 

The concerning part is no one actually knows what they're playing for at the moment. There's a forum in place to discuss the 2025 format, with a decision before the season starts. The sensible and logical thing to do would be to move to 2 leagues of 11 or increase SL to 14 and have one big league below that. 

If you move to 2 divisions of 11, there's going to be some unhappy clubs. Either there's no promotion from L1 this season or, there's 1 up 3 down, or 2 up and 4 down. Either way some clubs somewhere won't be happy. 

If there's one league of 20 then we aren't playing for anything this season other than sweet sweet IMG points!

• Like 1

I’m of the opinion that if the Championship and League 1 merge for 2025 then so be it. We still want to be winning the comp regardless, and of course performance is a large part of the grading criteria.

The home 1895 Cup tie against a Championship side is intriguing. It could really start the season off with a bang.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, YoungYed said:

So the big question is it just one up? 

No, the big question is what will the format be for 2025. I don't think promotion will be an issue when the leagues are combined..

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

There will be one 1895 Cup group that has two L1 clubs, the rest will all have two Championship clubs - On the basis that it is made as local as possible my guess is:

Group 1 - Barrow, Whitehaven, Workington

Group 2 - Widnes, Swinton, N Wales

Group 3 - Sheffield, Doncaster, Midlands

Group 4 - Wakefield, Dewsbury, Hunslet

Group 5 - Bradford, Batley, Keighley

Group 6 - Halifax, Oldham, Rochdale

Group 7 - Featherstone, York, Newcastle

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Also we will be playing loop matches with Hornets so I doubt there will be Derby fixtures

The RFL's statement said that for L1 there will be four loop fixtures for each team, to be determined by seedings based on 2023 finishing positions - we don't know if that means teams play other teams who were close to their finishing position last year or at the opposite end of the table.

They have said that the 1895 Cup groups will be 'seeded and regionalised' - you will see from my post above that I assume the seeding means the split of Championship and L1 clubs.

I think it is as likely that you will play Rochdale in the 1895 group as it is as a loop fixture, but each L1 club will play half of the other teams in the division as a loop, so there is a 50/50 chance on that.

Edited by Barley Mow

33 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

The RFL's statement said that for L1 there will be four loop fixtures for each team, to be determined by seedings based on 2023 finishing positions - we don't know if that means teams play other teams who were close to their finishing position last year or at the opposite end of the table.

They have said that the 1895 Cup groups will be 'seeded and regionalised' - you will see from my post above that I assume the seeding means the split of Championship and L1 clubs.

I think it is as likely that you will play Rochdale in the 1895 group as it is as a loop fixture, but each L1 club will play half of the other teams in the division as a loop, so there is a 50/50 chance on that.

The club announced at the forum that the first game would be against a big Championship club 

4 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

The club announced at the forum that the first game would be against a big Championship club 

My assumption is that could be Halifax (if your board consider them a 'big' Championship club).

If it's not, then the 1895 is less 'regionalised' than I predict - Bradford will be your next closest option I suppose, but I assume they will be grouped with Keighley as their L1 club.

Edited by Barley Mow

16 hours ago, Indigogo said:

This is my question as well. The statement says there's play offs and a grand final as normal, I presume that's played between teams finishing 2nd to 5th and top would have automatic promotion as usual. 

The concerning part is no one actually knows what they're playing for at the moment. There's a forum in place to discuss the 2025 format, with a decision before the season starts. The sensible and logical thing to do would be to move to 2 leagues of 11 or increase SL to 14 and have one big league below that. 

If you move to 2 divisions of 11, there's going to be some unhappy clubs. Either there's no promotion from L1 this season or, there's 1 up 3 down, or 2 up and 4 down. Either way some clubs somewhere won't be happy. 

If there's one league of 20 then we aren't playing for anything this season other than sweet sweet IMG points!

playing for anything this season other than sweet sweet IMG points! - That is the IMG plan

If its 1 league of 20 - you play for the Ch Trophy and sweet sweet IMG points!

If its 1 league of 14 - you play for the Ch Trophy and sweet sweet IMG points! and Relegation

Plus an awful league1 of 8/9 and you play for the L1 Trophy and sweet sweet IMG points! and Promotion and the hope of escaping L1

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

If Ch decide again not to merge then its 4 down at end of 24

The refusal to merge for 2024 was solely to do with the timescale. If a structured solution is presented with time for clubs to adjust their corporate activities there will be much less resistance. 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The refusal to merge for 2024 was solely to do with the timescale. If a structured solution is presented with time for clubs to adjust their corporate activities there will be much less resistance. 

Let’s be honest the changes (which will be seen as necessary next year anyway) will happen next year. There was time this season but no will for it.  Unfortunately this is a half baked solution aimed to pacify the championship clubs and just prologue  the inevitable 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Happyed said:

Let’s be honest the changes (which will be seen as necessary next year anyway) will happen next year. There was time this season but no will for it.  Unfortunately this is a half baked solution aimed to pacify the championship clubs and just prologue  the inevitable 

There wasn't time. If you take into account the necessity for clubs to cost and organise season tickets; the contracts that were offered to players, sponsorship deals, stadium access agreements and general budgeting you might understandthe complexities of running even relatively small clubs.

It isn't simply a case of organising a few fixtures then getting on with it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

There wasn't time. If you take into account the necessity for clubs to cost and organise season tickets; the contracts that were offered to players, sponsorship deals, stadium access agreements and general budgeting you might understandthe complexities of running even relatively small clubs.

It isn't simply a case of organising a few fixtures then getting on with it.

Strange how some clubs, media and commentators seemed to think it possible tho 🤔 perhaps they don’t have your incredible insight 

• Like 1