New drama

So if they need the central funding now to pay their bills how on earth will they see the season out. Why does sport not work like any other business. Fair enough if you have assets to borrow against 

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Agreed....Salford have been awful in terms of spending everything they have on the first team wages

I personally don't think they'll start the season and Wakey will be in SL this year 

That would be tragic for the sport, we can’t afford to lose any more clubs. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That would be tragic for the sport, we can’t afford to lose any more clubs. 

It would be tragic for Salford. It wouldn't be tragic for the sport.

An unsustainable club living from benefit cheque to benefit cheque, limping along, holding other progressive clubs back - that would be tragic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dboy said:

An unsustainable club living from benefit cheque to benefit cheque, limping along, holding other progressive clubs back - that would be tragic.

There’s nobody else SL ready to replace them, we only really have 12 clubs capable of playing in SL at the moment, possibly 13 if you include Toulouse. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There’s nobody else SL ready to replace them, we only really have 12 clubs capable of playing in SL at the moment, possibly 13 if you include Toulouse. 

12 if include TO, but don't include the unsustainable Salford.

Which Championship clubs are in special measures and are about to go bust?

23 minutes ago, dboy said:

What other progressive clubs are they holding back? Salford have lots of issues, but they have been a successful club on the field, bringing entertainment on the field for neutrals in recent years - especially with their GF run. 

They provide a pathway (or I hope they do..) for local juniors in an area that hasn't got much RL footprint. 

Losing a club like Salford would be tragic for the sport, RL is small time enough without losing more clubs.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dboy said:

Which ones fail to pay their bills and are in special measures?

No idea, I’d never heard of a sports team being in special measures until today tbh - it’s usually poorly performing schools and other public sector bodies so I don’t know what it actually means or why they’ve been put into it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Click said:

What other progressive clubs are they holding back? Salford have lots of issues, but they have been a successful club on the field, bringing entertainment on the field for neutrals in recent years - especially with their GF run. 

They provide a pathway (or I hope they do..) for local juniors in an area that hasn't got much RL footprint. 

Losing a club like Salford would be tragic for the sport, RL is small time enough without losing more clubs.

Salford are "successful" on the field because they spend their rent money on players they can't otherwise afford. 

They do not provide a player pathway.

How can you say they deserve to be feeding at the top table when other clubs are running fair businesses and trying to to get to SL, when Salford are a breath away from dying week by week?

Do you understand what special measures is? It's the NGB taking over a club because on it's present course it will imminently cease to exist!

It's done as a last resort to stop a business going bust.

That's how serious this is. It's not a gesture, Not a slap on the wrist.

It's a the RFL stepping in to try to stop a club ceasing to exist.

Edited by dboy

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

Salford are "successful" on the field because they spend their rent money on players they can't otherwise afford. 

How can you say they deserve to be feeding at the top table when other clubs are running fair businesses and trying to to get to SL, when Salford are a breath away from dying week by week?

Do you understand what special measures is? It's the NGB taking over a club because on it's present course it will imminently cease to exist!

Do they not provide a palyer pathway? If they don't provide any kind of pathway - then I would agree that perhaps it isn't as tragic for the game of RL as a whole. 

I am pretty sure they have got some pathways though, and have produced players in recent years. Any loss of junior growth is tragic to RL as we haven't got enough as it is. I don't think it is quite like football where all the juniors at Salford can just go an extra 5-10 minutes to another club to do junior RL. 

3 minutes ago, Click said:

Do they not provide a palyer pathway? If they don't provide any kind of pathway - then I would agree that perhaps it isn't as tragic for the game of RL as a whole. 

I am pretty sure they have got some pathways though, and have produced players in recent years. Any loss of junior growth is tragic to RL as we haven't got enough as it is. I don't think it is quite like football where all the juniors at Salford can just go an extra 5-10 minutes to another club to do junior RL. 

Go for it - please list tier 1 players produced by SRD in the last 10 years.

1 minute ago, dboy said:

Go for it - please list tier 1 players produced by SRD in the last 10 years.

https://www.salfordreddevilsfoundation.co.uk/sport/player-development/

This speaks about some of their player development/youth pathways. 

It mentions a couple of players on it. 

I am not sure why the players they "produce" have to be tier 1 suddenly? I thought we were talking about RL in general. If any of those kids that got involved through a Salford scheme and then went on to play amateur, etc, they are still a benefit to RL.

Like I said - Rugby League is a very small sport, with participation numbers that are low and getting lower. Losing any club that has pathways and can bring people into the sport is going to be bad.

14 minutes ago, Click said:

https://www.salfordreddevilsfoundation.co.uk/sport/player-development/

This speaks about some of their player development/youth pathways. 

It mentions a couple of players on it. 

I am not sure why the players they "produce" have to be tier 1 suddenly? I thought we were talking about RL in general. If any of those kids that got involved through a Salford scheme and then went on to play amateur, etc, they are still a benefit to RL.

Like I said - Rugby League is a very small sport, with participation numbers that are low and getting lower. Losing any club that has pathways and can bring people into the sport is going to be bad.

What are you on about? If it's not the job of a SL club to produce tier 1 players, whose is it???

Who do you expect to produce players for SRD? They can't keep spending the rent money on bought-in players.

They need to produce, not only for themselves, but for the wider game.

Edited by dboy

7 minutes ago, dboy said:

What are you on about? If it's not the job of a SL club to produce tier 1 players, whose is it???

Who do you expect to produce players for SRD? They can't keep spending the rent money on bought-in players.

They need to produce, not only for themselves, but for the wider game.

It isn't easy to produce players to a tier 1 standard, especially when you're not in the typical heartlands like Salford is. 

Should Salford be doing better? Yes. Should they be producing more players? Yes. 

I am just saying that the loss of Salford would be tragic to the game as a whole, as they still have pathways with youth players that are involved. Any loss of those sort of pathways, especially outside of the heartlands is bad.

2 minutes ago, Click said:

It isn't easy to produce players to a tier 1 standard, especially when you're not in the typical heartlands like Salford is. 

Should Salford be doing better? Yes. Should they be producing more players? Yes. 

I am just saying that the loss of Salford would be tragic to the game as a whole, as they still have pathways with youth players that are involved. Any loss of those sort of pathways, especially outside of the heartlands is bad.

Wigan St Pats amateur club produces more players for the pro game than SRD.

4 minutes ago, dboy said:

Wigan St Pats amateur club produces more players for the pro game than SRD.

With as little knowledge in amateur clubs as I have, even I know that Wigan St Pats is one of the biggest amateur clubs, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

The amateur game produces lots of players, and if Wigan St Pats or pretty much any amateur club were to fold it would be tragic for RL as well.

10 minutes ago, Click said:

With as little knowledge in amateur clubs as I have, even I know that Wigan St Pats is one of the biggest amateur clubs, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

The amateur game produces lots of players, and if Wigan St Pats or pretty much any amateur club were to fold it would be tragic for RL as well.

They walk among us.

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Are we at the stage where we have to pretend that if the business owning a club disappears, that there will never be another one to replace it? We're talking Salford, not West Wales.

If they don't have a ground there are no guarantees of any rebirth.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, dboy said:

Not been on here for a few weeks yet straight away the Salford hating dboy is at it again.  Bedford Bronco another hater is obviously on holiday.

The difference between Salford and the other 11 is that they don`t have a sugar daddy to see them through the Winter.

Personally feel that the Ground issue is key currently and maybe the Club`s stance here is to push the Council to provide a temporary lease of sorts so that monies can be earned for the club (Commercial, Sponsorship Match Day etc etc).

May be wrong but I think Salford will be at Headingley to PLAY Leeds in February.

10 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I don't think many at Wakefield actually want that.  

Nope totally unprepared as Leigh were when they filled Toronto's place, BUT you will not have to fight to stave off relegation, so if offered may as well take it and get better attendances than will come in the Championship.