2024 First Choice 17s

MZH

With all the negativity, in the press about SRD, the 17 published looks a rather promising side. The spine looks good. Big fan of Sneyd. Fantastic kicking game. 

I can see them doing well again, this coming season.  The question is what players do they have in reserves if any of them get injured? 

• Like 2

Saints have always impressed me with their recruitment and retention. They produce a number of good young players. 

They have an excellent board that looks after the club. The one thing that only baffles myself is why the hell did they choose Paul Wellens as coach. They recruit Justin / Woolf and then Wellens. 

The squad looks good, and had they have good coach, one would say they are one of the favourites. But with Wellens there is a massive ?

On 16/11/2023 at 15:42, Rene_Artois said:

Still expecting a few more signings for the Dons but my 17 (so far) would be:

1. Elliot Hall

2. Tom Halliday

3. Brad Hey

4. Reece Lyne

5. Luke Briscoe

6. Ben Johnston

7. Connor Robinson

8. Alex Holdstock

9. Greg Burns

10. Brad Knowles

11. Sam Smeaton

12. Brett Ferres

13. Loui McConnell

14. Watson Boas

15. Keelan Foster

16. Suaia Matagi

17. Alex Sutcliffe

Craig Hall, Jason Tali, Misi Taulapapa, Jose Kenga so far. 

Expect another 4 or 5 bringing squad up to 25/26.  A new forward signing is expected tomorrow...

Swap either Sutcliffe or Foster for Pauli. Decent utility player now rumoured too. Nearly there

4 hours ago, Coco said:

With all the negativity, in the press about SRD, the 17 published looks a rather promising side. The spine looks good. Big fan of Sneyd. Fantastic kicking game. 

I can see them doing well again, this coming season.  The question is what players do they have in reserves if any of them get injured? 

There are rumours that Joe Shorrocks could sign for SRD with Harvie Hill going on a season long loan with them. 

Oldham

1. Jack Johnson
2. Nick Rawsthorne
3. Jordan Turner
4. Ben O’Keefe
5. Mo Agoro
6. Danny Craven
7. Logan Astley
8. Owen Farnworth
9. Mattie Wildie
10. Craig Kopczak
11. Adam Lawton
12. Elijah Taylor
13. Joe Wardle

Subs: Pat Moran, Josh Johnson, Jordan Paga, a Chapelhow

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

Oldham

1. Jack Johnson
2. Nick Rawsthorne
3. Jordan Turner
4. Ben O’Keefe
5. Mo Agoro
6. Danny Craven
7. Logan Astley
8. Owen Farnworth
9. Mattie Wildie
10. Craig Kopczak
11. Adam Lawton
12. Elijah Taylor
13. Joe Wardle

Good squad that Dave , very competitive top end of LGE 1 next season.

9 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Good squad that Dave , very competitive top end of LGE 1 next season.

You'd hope so.

The plan is to win the league, gain promotion and arrive in the Championship to compete in the top half at least. 

Most if not all of the players are on a two year contract and there's a lot of strength in depth in the 28 man squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Father Ted said:

There are rumours that Joe Shorrocks could sign for SRD with Harvie Hill going on a season long loan with them. 

Harvie Hill would be perfect for Salford. Salford are still needing a few more front rowers in the side and Harvie Hill is a superb youngster.

2 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

Oldham

1. Jack Johnson
2. Nick Rawsthorne
3. Jordan Turner
4. Ben O’Keefe
5. Mo Agoro
6. Danny Craven
7. Logan Astley
8. Owen Farnworth
9. Mattie Wildie
10. Craig Kopczak
11. Adam Lawton
12. Elijah Taylor
13. Joe Wardle

Am I right in saying every single player in the starting 13 is a brand new siging besides Rawsthorne. 

It’s going to be interesting to see if they struggle with continuity at first, but on paper they look one of the best teams in league 1.

9 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Am I right in saying every single player in the starting 13 is a brand new siging besides Rawsthorne. 

It’s going to be interesting to see if they struggle with continuity at first, but on paper they look one of the best teams in league 1.

From that list Rawsthorne is the only one from last year.

Logan Astley has played for the club on DR and Jordan Turner is an Oldhamer, so he's one of ours by default.  Mo Agoro has played for the club previously.

2024  should be fun.

Edited by Dave Naylor

11 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

Oldham

1. Jack Johnson
2. Nick Rawsthorne
3. Jordan Turner
4. Ben O’Keefe
5. Mo Agoro
6. Danny Craven
7. Logan Astley
8. Owen Farnworth
9. Mattie Wildie
10. Craig Kopczak
11. Adam Lawton
12. Elijah Taylor
13. Joe Wardle

Will any first choice team have a collective higher age than this one?

Not being sarcastic just wondering, a lot of those seem to have been around for a long time.

9 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Harvie Hill would be perfect for Salford. Salford are still needing a few more front rowers in the side and Harvie Hill is a superb youngster.

Before all the stadium ###### the rumours were 2 props hill being one on loan, shorrocks and a 9

55 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not being sarcastic just wondering, a lot of those seem to have been around for a long time.

You're probably right.  A lot of the squad members not in my 17 are younger and I can imagine there'll be plenty of rotation during the season.  

On 13/11/2023 at 07:33, NRLandSL said:

My Sydney Roosters 17-

1-James Tedesco

2-Daniel Tupou

3-Joseph Manu

4-Joseph Suaalii

5-Dominic Young

6-Luke Keary

7-Sam Walker

8-Lindsay Collins

9-Brandon Smith

10-Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

11-Angus Crichton

12-Nat Butcher

13-Victor Radley

14-Connor Watson

15-Spencer Leniu

16-Terrell May

17-Siua Wong

Really excited to see Dom Young in a Roosters jersey, he is going to add some well-needed pace on the wing. Hopefully we are injury-free this year, because our full-strength side looks a serious threat. We have some absurd depth in the back row so I've had to leave out Egan Butcher, Sitilli Tupouniua and Naufahu Whyte, also no space for Billy Smith, Lewis Murphy and Sandon Smith.

Sitili Tuponua has to be in the top 17. He was injured last year, but he is a gun.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I reckon Sheffield’s will. Proper Dad’s Army there. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 hour ago, Bradman Better said:

Sitili Tuponua has to be in the top 17. He was injured last year, but he is a gun.

Yeah he is a gun, unfortunately 2 season ending injuries in a row now for him. The ACL and last year a throat injury this year. Before he got injured this year Robinson was trying him out as a middle foward so perhaps we will see him get some game time there. 

We have such good depth in the back row it is unfair, honestly I would rather see Tupouniua star for another club than just sit in our reserves because he is fantastic player and it wouldn’t be fair.

Oldham and Salford, both from the Greater Manchester County. Both sides looking they will have a good season in their own respected leagues. Good for rugby league as well. It's been a long time having two sides from the Greater Manchester County doing well. Both sides have developed good sides. 

Harvie Hill for Salford looks a good fit for both sides.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Coco said:

Oldham and Salford, both from the Greater Manchester County. Both sides looking they will have a good season in their own respected leagues. Good for rugby league as well. It's been a long time having two sides from the Greater Manchester County doing well. Both sides have developed good sides. 

Harvie Hill for Salford looks a good fit for both sides.

How about last season Coco, Wigan win the GF and Leigh win the Challenge Cup both in Gt. Manchester.