An interesting Development in Wheelchair Rugby League

Rugby Union Club Stade Toulousain getting involved in what looks like (from the badge) a hook-up with Toulouse Olympique. Interesting times indeed.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is absolutely the chance that rugby union will claim the sport as its own if we are not careful. I hope we have all the relevant protection in place globally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 minute ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

There is absolutely the chance that rugby union will claim the sport as its own if we are not careful. I hope we have all the relevant protection in place globally.

They'd have to suborn Robert Fassolette and change the game's rules... and deal with a mass exodus of players and fans.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

If Rugby League, allows Wheelchair Rugby League (which is definitely RL) to slip away and end up being called Wheelchair Rugby and administered by RU - then it only has itself to blame. 

Yeah they need to be pretty careful with this. One thing that is very evident on social media when international are on the BBC are the really positive comments from RU fans and it is pretty much universal how much they think wheelchair RL is more like Rugby per se compared to the Union version.

If RU teams want to play then fine but it very much needs to be made clear that they are playing RL and they need to come under that umbrella. We can't have a repeat of what has happened with the likes of Touch and Tag Rugby.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

If Rugby League, allows Wheelchair Rugby League (which is definitely RL) to slip away and end up being called Wheelchair Rugby and administered by RU - then it only has itself to blame. 

We have all those superb examples of where we have previously had protections put in place around the terms used to describe our game(s) and its assets.
😅😅😅

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Yeah they need to be pretty careful with this. One thing that is very evident on social media when international are on the BBC are the really positive comments from RU fans and it is pretty much universal how much they think wheelchair RL is more like Rugby per se compared to the Union version.

If RU teams want to play then fine but it very much needs to be made clear that they are playing RL and they need to come under that umbrella. We can't have a repeat of what has happened with the likes of Touch and Tag Rugby.

Yes they need to be careful alright. Certainly, be as welcoming as possible and encourage anyone to join in. But don't allow yourself to be gradually sidelined until you are somehow on the periphery shouting "it IS rugby league you know.. "

If they try to rebrand it as "Wheelchair Rugby", I'd expect the existing, bigger and longer-established "Wheelchair Rugby" brand* to sue them 'til they squeal.

*yes, yes, you don't need to tell us it's just an adapted version of Wheelchair Basketball or that it isn't as good to watch.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

It’s bitterly ironic to compare the Wheelchair game with the regular game and see their attitude towards newcomers getting involved. Sad. 

I think not being dominated by heartland clubs and fans from the off helps immensely. Teams, players and fans from elsewhere are absolutely part of the wheelchair game with a say and voice. Despite whatever is spouted in press releases and whatever lip service is given I'm not sure that really applies in the regular game.

• Like 2

On 16/11/2023 at 00:07, Odsal Outlaw said:

David Hinchcliff: Class War. Our rah rah cousins might be already be winning this as we type. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Union will take this sport.  It's what they do.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris