Magic Weekend

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You also state that Magic is there to justify Loop Fixtures, when loop fixtures were there before Magic (and I expect will be there long after Magic! 😞 )

No I didn't, I said it was one of the reasons given to not get rid of loop fixtures. Which it is.

No one is claiming Magic loses money, I'm sure everyone recognises that it makes money. However where I suspect people disagree is the amount and if that represents value to the game for the negatives. If it was a real money spinner then I am certain that some of the bigger clubs wouldn't want to get rid.

I would be amazed for example if it made a profit of £300k or anywhere near that, based on what we do know of other RFL events that have substantially lower costs than 2 full days of stadium hire and the associated logistics. Even that amount though when split 13 ways (12 clubs plus the RFL) is less than £25k per club. Its real two bald men fighting over a comb stuff.

Edited by Damien

I normally support the RFL against fans criticism until (or if ever) the facts  are known, based on the eternal truth that fans of any sport are always, often irrationally, critical of governing bodies.

However, on this occasion, I'm prepared to make an exception. What a stupid bloody idea! Wrong time, wrong place, wrong idea. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, it probably won't ever be known (to us, at least) what, if any, money or 'in kind' was given or offered.

It is clear we are a long, long, long, long, long, long way removed from Cardiff putting up several hundred thousand (in the days when we did trumpet such things) because RL was so important to the economy there.

If we are going to be a Northern Oddity, we really need to be making ourselves attractive to councils and tourist boards so that they can support our events and ultimately expansion. I do think it's a challenge as councils are squeezed, but we do also know that prestigious events are still hosted and attractive cities. 

I just think we have really let ourselves go to be honest.

After the World Cup I really didn't think the RFL could do any worse. Then they managed to outperform themselves with the way they put on the Tonga tour, when I really did think we reached rock bottom to the extent that Samoa didn't even want to tour anymore. I thought that was as bad as it gets.

However if I am to credit the RFL I would say that they never fail to lower the bar even more, even when that seems impossible, and never fail to surprise me with the creative ways they find to reach new levels of incompetence. Granted these normally revolve around a few miles from the M62 corridor but still they are bleeding good at it.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

No I didn't, I said it was one of the reasons given to not get rid of loop fixtures. Which it is.

Apologies if I misread, but I'm not sure I follow the logic. Magic can exist in any system tbh.

5 hours ago, Dovster said:

I agree. I actually don't think it's such a bad option.

Fans that went to Newcastle will probably go to Elland Road to see their team and maybe plan a weekend away at Wembley. Fans that didn't go to Newcastle might go to Elland Road to see their team.

The round of SL matches still have a big game feel about them for the TV.

I've been to several Magic Weekends in Newcastle. Under no circumstances will I go to Elland Road to watch ANYTHING.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Apologies if I misread, but I'm not sure I follow the logic. Magic can exist in any system tbh.

Its obvious games can always be played anywhere but at the moment Magic is an extra loop game and is treated as such. In a conventional home and away league system Wigan or Saints aren't going to give up a home derby to play at Elland Road at Magic and essentially split the gate 12/13/14/15 (or whatever league size we have) ways. If you are talking about making money in other posts then clubs would certainly make far in a system without loop fixtures without Magic.

It's all rather depressing this. 

I remember at the start of SL, it was exciting. We had London and Paris coming in, there was talk about other French and Welsh clubs joining. 

We staged a huge WCC - which failed, but instead of tweaking, we scrapped.

We took games on the road. 

We launched the Grand Final.

We launched the Tri Nations.

Gateshead & Catalans were admitted to SL.

Magic Weekend was launched in Cardiff. 

The Cup Final toured Edinburgh and Cardiff before returning home to Wembley.

We've seen two record-breaking matches staged in Barcelona.

Toronto were admitted, like a breath of fresh air (even with plenty of criticism)

Toulouse came into SL.

The 2013 World Cup was generally excellent and we had 67k at Wembley for the semis.

Even 2017, despite being behind 2013, brought Tonga to the forefront, who could forget the classic semi final?

And now, I can't recall the last time I was genuinely excited about something in the sport. I accept there has been some bad luck, but decisions like staging our biggest internationals at the likes of St Helens, Magic to Leeds, the decline of the Cup, no future England games on the horizon. No promised rebrand, expansion looking dead. 

I wonder where all the ambition and aspiration went.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's all rather depressing this. 

I remember at the start of SL, it was exciting. We had London and Paris coming in, there was talk about other French and Welsh clubs joining. 

We staged a huge WCC - which failed, but instead of tweaking, we scrapped.

We took games on the road. 

We launched the Grand Final.

We launched the Tri Nations.

Gateshead & Catalans were admitted to SL.

Magic Weekend was launched in Cardiff. 

The Cup Final toured Edinburgh and Cardiff before returning home to Wembley.

We've seen two record-breaking matches staged in Barcelona.

Toronto were admitted, like a breath of fresh air (even with plenty of criticism)

Toulouse came into SL.

The 2013 World Cup was generally excellent and we had 67k at Wembley for the semis.

Even 2017, despite being behind 2013, brought Tonga to the forefront, who could forget the classic semi final?

And now, I can't recall the last time I was genuinely excited about something in the sport. I accept there has been some bad luck, but decisions like staging our biggest internationals at the likes of St Helens, Magic to Leeds, the decline of the Cup, no future England games on the horizon. No promised rebrand, expansion looking dead. 

I wonder where all the ambition and aspiration went.

Don't worry IMG will sort all of this out.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sam4731 said:

*whoosh*

No.

IMG have been brought in in desperation because we now have about 15 years of failure to reverse - and, as shown by thie exact decision, their recommendations are being ignored.

You can do a little stirring post about IMG if you want but the issues that exist pre-date them and are being exacerbated by the same small-time, directionless thinking within the game that has afflicted it for far too long.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)