Magic Weekend

3 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Couldn't the MW at Elland Road be a way of generating new fans from Yorkshire?

There are thousands of people in Yorkshire that will have never been to a RL Match. If we can target these and they like it, they will aso have a local team to support in the future.

Maybe not was intended originally for the MW but could work out well.

I must ask the question, as you can never quite tell on here, are you being serious or sarcastic here?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I'd don't think I have never raised the Leigh/railways thing on here myself, even as a joke - In fact I recall pointing out that there are stations closer to the LSV than to Hull KR (for example).

In this case, a Leigh fan - @phiggins - responded to someone suggesting Magic Weekend might be held in Leigh by saying "It’s closer to a train station than Elland Road to be fair". A post which you responded to with a "haha" emoji, so you evidently didn't mind it being mentioned.

I agree the proximity of the LSV to a railway station matters very little. The proximity of Elland Road to railway stations, maybe matters a little in the context of this thread. All my post was doing was just pointing out that what phiggins posted isn't correct - but you will note that I began by saying it is a barely relevant tangent seeing as the subject of Leigh and railways has come up.

My post was not a critiscm of what you said Barley, sorry if you took it that way, if was just a generalisation of the situation that some still think it relevant after mentioning Leigh and Railways multiple times it is getting tedious, but it takes all types.

And yes I do recall you pointing out that there are stations closer to the LSV than other grounds, if I remember correctly I gave you a "Thankyou".

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

If I may add my 2 pence. Yes, because it's far easier to get to for people travelling into the city than Headingley. I'd hazard a guess 15k at Headingley was mainly people from Leeds, considering everybody to the South, East and West of Leeds would proably have found it easier to go to Hudds. ER is right next to the main motorway links from those directions. 

Do you honestly think that matters if you are travelling by coach or car to Leeds, for example me coming from over the pennines it wouldn't matter one bit.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes I would and I would have only had 1 West Yorkshire venue too. It wouldn't be a case of doing that and also having Huddersfield. It would be the match to go to in West Yorkshire at the biggest venue in West Yorkshire. 

Did you go to Headingley for the test then? if no would you have gone to ER if that was the venue of choice, I take it from that comment you didn't visit Huddersfield either? 

Before you ask I didn't go to any of the 3 tests, nor will I be going to the "Tragic" venue.

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

I must ask the question, as you can never quite tell on here, are you being serious or sarcastic here?

I am in fact being serious. Although I can easily understand why you may have thought that I was being funny.

I have no doubts that the RFL are not thinking this way.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you honestly think that matters if you are travelling by coach or car to Leeds, for example me coming from over the pennines it wouldn't matter one bit.

Right now, Harry, you could get to ER from Leigh in 1hr 5mins. It's 1hr 26mins to Headingley. To be honest, I was more thinking of the greater West Yorkshire area in my original post (as there was a test on your side of the Pennines) but the little research i've just done has shown even from further distances, like Leigh, the time difference isn't insignificant. Also, no stadiums are great to get away from but again i'd guess you can be back over in Leigh far quicker than from Headingley. 

It will be interesting to see the attendance for the Leeds wire game if there is a big difference to the other two . I will see two games on the Saturday.  If Leeds are doing well and I say that advisedly it could be a bumper crowd and same goes for Wire too . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

14 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Right now, Harry, you could get to ER from Leigh in 1hr 5mins. It's 1hr 26mins to Headingley. To be honest, I was more thinking of the greater West Yorkshire area in my original post (as there was a test on your side of the Pennines) but the little research i've just done has shown even from further distances, like Leigh, the time difference isn't insignificant. Also, no stadiums are great to get away from but again i'd guess you can be back over in Leigh far quicker than from Headingley. 

I am very aware of the distances HGD, I had a factory unit in Beeston about 3/4 mile away from the Tommy Wass, I went to Headingley this season week before Wembley by coach it was no hardship.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am very aware of the distances HGD, I had a factory unit in Beeston about 3/4 mile away from the Tommy Wass, I went to Headingley this season week before Wembley by coach it was no hardship.

But then I'm not sure what measure you're referencing when you say 'do you think it matters?' If not time and ease to get there, what do you mean? 

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Some of the aspects of what people want from Magic should be filled by internationals, not the club game. Internationals attract neutrals or help expansion clubs more than the club game ever will. An England v Tonga game at Newcastle or in London is a much easier sell than Magic if we are looking for expansion tools. If we are to have a big event in the heartlands at Elland Road then that absolutely should have been the England v Tonga game that was played at Headingley. Ditto if we are talking about Magic at the Etihad.

All of the supposed benefits of Magic can be got in greater ways by doing other things better. Magic is a jack of all trades and master of none solution.

I think your final line is a harsh position. Magic Weekends have given me some of my best ever memories in Rugby League, but they were in Cardiff and Edinburgh. Newcastle eventually became too boozy and I drifted from it, but I can still see the appeal of it. 

I agree 100% that internationals should be playing in this space though. I struggled to talk a group of mates and family into a day out in St Helens though, despite living a couple of miles away! 

• Like 2

On 23/11/2023 at 19:32, Anita Bath said:

To paraphrase Meatloaf…

I would do anything for love…but I wont do that (move to Yorkshire).

Happy Lancashire Day.

If that's anything to be happy about ........

• Haha 3

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"