The true sleeping giants of the game

34 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I've spent a good deal of my time in self employment.

Finding some potential customers, convincing them to let me do the work for them, actually doing the work - supplying the service, having to maintain standards, accumulating and keeping some working capital, collecting the cash, dealing with defaulters, doing some accounting (checking I was actually making some money and not kidding myself), then developing an amicable working relationship with the bank, was at times, an all out gut wrenching effort.

I worked, most of the time, many more than 40 hours a week for many many weeks and months to keep the business afloat. Then, I had to stay awake long enough to give my wife and family a bit of company and try to relax a bit or I'd have ended up divorced.

A small businessman/woman has to do all that just to get the business going (even before they make any money). Then they have to keep it going until they make enough to feed the family or it's an abject failure. Then they can truly claim to be in business.

I'll tell you now, that no-one can sustain that level of effort and stay at that level of income indefinitely because you'll die of exhaustion, bitter and defeated. If you have any ambitions of making any proper money and surviving long term, you have to ''grow'' the business so it can employ enough people to handle the extra work and ensure there's enough left over for yourself.

So why am I telling you this? Here it is.

It's not enough in any enterprise, to just maintain the status quo or just work enough hours to maintain it. You have to find some time, some extra time perhaps, or organise/prioritise your time so that you can devote some time, effort and ingenuity to growing the business. Without ongoing modest growth, it's almost inevitable you (your business) will die. Do you get this? If not, I'm wasting my time. 

I'm calling on our amateur administrators (everyone) to stop asking the RFL to do it,  stop waiting for them (the cavalry) their not coming. Let's get on with it, ourselves. 

Where’s  the money & the people going to come from?  Like I’ve pointed out the people currently involved in the community game are busy running clubs. Who’s going to do all of this extra stuff?  

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Where’s  the money & the people going to come from?  Like I’ve pointed out the people currently involved in the community game are busy running clubs. Who’s going to do all of this extra stuff?  

Oh ye, of little faith. Are you involved at club level?

It might be that you are right and that the game has no hope.

All I'm saying is that like all living things, if we're not growing we are dieing.

I believe that the people (at least to initiate the process) are already there. 

I meant it when I said that there is a sleeping giant amongst our amateur enthusiasts, if they can be encouraged to take up the challenge. To get involved in a bigger, more productive way. To accept that they can do more, can make a difference. That the cause, is worth the effort.

This is what happens and has happened, in Australia all along. For years and years.

What they have there is the cumulative result of these countless efforts. They have whole communities devoted to the local club. How do you think that happened?

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

Mighty oaks, from small acorns grow. 

Edited by fighting irish

9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I meant it when I said that there is a sleeping giant amongst our amateur enthusiasts, if they can be encouraged to take up the challenge. To get involved in a bigger, more productive way. To accept that they can do more, can make a difference. That the cause, is worth the effort.

How will they be encouraged and who’s going to do it?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

How will they be encouraged and who’s going to do it?

I haven't got an answer to that, but I'm trying to get the message out there. To sell the idea that it is possible, it can be done. Especially and even faster if we worked together instead of seeing each nearby village as a deadly rival and resenting the pro game for not doing it for us.

Perhaps it will start as a trickle, as the word (idea) spreads, that it's within our capabilities to do it.

Wouldn't it be great if it arrived as a tsunami, started with a coordinated campaign by the RFL or BARLA, (say) calling on the entire amateur game to help us move the game forward.

I've even got a slogan ''Rugby League is Going Places''.

If we unearthed (to begin with) a handful of Bob Brown's or Romeo Monteiths to get the campaign going. You get the picture. Visualise a mexican wave rolling across the country taking the game far and wide.

They are there, I'm sure of it. In huge numbers, if we are willing to seek them out and enlist them in it.

A veritable sleeping giant indeed. I'm just trying to wake it. 

52 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I haven't got an answer to that, but I'm trying to get the message out there. To sell the idea that it is possible, it can be done. Especially and even faster if we worked together instead of seeing each nearby village as a deadly rival and resenting the pro game for not doing it for us.

Perhaps it will start as a trickle, as the word (idea) spreads, that it's within our capabilities to do it.

Wouldn't it be great if it arrived as a tsunami, started with a coordinated campaign by the RFL or BARLA, (say) calling on the entire amateur game to help us move the game forward.

I've even got a slogan ''Rugby League is Going Places''.

If we unearthed (to begin with) a handful of Bob Brown's or Romeo Monteiths to get the campaign going. You get the picture. Visualise a mexican wave rolling across the country taking the game far and wide.

They are there, I'm sure of it. In huge numbers, if we are willing to seek them out and enlist them in it.

A veritable sleeping giant indeed. I'm just trying to wake it. 

That’s a key answer that’s required, until you figure that out the rest is just nonsense on the internet I’m afraid 

There are no sleeping giants in RL. There are, however, a few clubs who, with the right conditions, could replicate the smaller clubs in SL. That's part of the problem the sport faces.

• Like 5

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

That’s a key answer that’s required, until you figure that out the rest is just nonsense on the internet I’m afraid 

I did answer it my friend.

I didn't answer it in explicit detail because how it advances will certainly change as it gathers momentum. For it to work, it doesn't have to be spelled out in minute detail. At this stage, I'm just selling the idea.

I'm starting the process by broadcasting the idea in the hope of creating a widespread belief that it is possible. Also, that it is an appropriate activity for amateur organisations to be involved in. Nay, its  appropriate for them to be the prime movers in the process and more, I'm saying, the amateur bodies are our only hope of growing the game.

See Australian rugby league for supporting evidence.

If my explanation hasn't convinced you, then so be it, although I suspect you've either not listened, or are too challenged to understand my arguments, but I've spelled out the mechanism, I've drawn analogies to what's happening in Africa and Jamaica and Europe and I'm suggesting to you that given the number of adherents we already have, if you multiply pro-rata, the numbers in (Africa Jamaica etc.) by the number already involved over here, then the potential is gigantic.

We are talking about a sleeping giant.

Anyway, I'm fairly convinced, that with you, I've wasted my time.

It seems you've read everything I've said with a closed mind.

C'est la vie, 'twas ever thus. 

I'll take my chances with the rest. 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I did answer it my friend.

I didn't answer it in explicit detail because how it advances will certainly change as it gathers momentum. For it to work, it doesn't have to be spelled out in minute detail. At this stage, I'm just selling the idea.

I'm starting the process by broadcasting the idea in the hope of creating a widespread belief that it is possible. Also, that it is an appropriate activity for amateur organisations to be involved in. Nay, its  appropriate for them to be the prime movers in the process and more, I'm saying, the amateur bodies are our only hope of growing the game.

See Australian rugby league for supporting evidence.

If my explanation hasn't convinced you, then so be it, although I suspect you've either not listened, or are too challenged to understand my arguments, but I've spelled out the mechanism, I've drawn analogies to what's happening in Africa and Jamaica and Europe and I'm suggesting to you that given the number of adherents we already have, if you multiply pro-rata, the numbers in (Africa Jamaica etc.) by the number already involved over here, then the potential is gigantic.

We are talking about a sleeping giant.

Anyway, I'm fairly convinced, that with you, I've wasted my time.

It seems you've read everything I've said with a closed mind.

C'est la vie, 'twas ever thus. 

I'll take my chances with the rest. 

TBH, all I read is a load of bluster, Ideas are easy - No answers to the big question of finance and resources.

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

TBH, all I read is a load of bluster, Ideas are easy - No answers to the big question of finance and resources.

Ha ha, ok.

7 minutes ago, meast said:

Maybe but they attract a few hundred fans between them. Not many more than the cougars 👍🏼

A few rounds in the FA Vase will probably earn more than a couple of wins in the Challenge Cup.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 28/11/2023 at 13:19, meast said:

Silsden AFC

Steeton AFC

Route one rovers

All semi professional football clubs.

Those three football clubs popped into my head.

I believe Keighley Cougars are also 'only' semi-professional (i.e. not full-time).

Edited by Hopping Mad

52 minutes ago, meast said:

Maybe but they attract a few hundred fans between them. Not many more than the cougars 👍🏼

Wow  just when I thought it couldn't get any worse for the Cougars. First IMG, then relegation and now critised attendances from a Giants fan. Surely this is rock bottom.

• Haha 1

On 24/11/2023 at 11:13, Kirmonds pouch said:

Sleeping giants, or at least quite big lads

Halifax: Possibly the most forgotten club in the game, a founder member of SL. Great ground, decent player pool, some soccer interest but not huge, another 8,000+

Sounds like wishful thinking, suggesting soccer interest in Halifax is "not huge". In common with virtually everywhere in the country, there is more interest in soccer in Halifax than in rugby league. Taking Calderdale as a whole (because Halifax Panthers RLFC draw at least some of their support from the wider borough), there are pockets of Calderdale in which there is strong support for Bradford City, Burnley, FC Halifax Town and - increasingly - Huddersfield Town. Even for Leeds United. Cheap ticket deals in recent seasons, coupled with the loss to Halifax of League football, have enabled Bradford and, in particular, Huddersfield to establish support in Calderdale they never used to have. Best not get started on why there is a sizeable number of (FC) Halifax Town supporters who used also to watch rugby league at Thrum Hall but have since turned their backs on the sport.

Edited by Hopping Mad

4 hours ago, Dovster said:

Wow  just when I thought it couldn't get any worse for the Cougars. First IMG, then relegation and now critised attendances from a Giants fan. Surely this is rock bottom.

Who's criticising?

I'm merely responding to your claim that there were no football teams in and around Keighley.

There is, and they attract crowds in their hundreds between them.

What's the issue?

13 hours ago, meast said:

Who's criticising?

I'm merely responding to your claim that there were no football teams in and around Keighley.

There is, and they attract crowds in their hundreds between them.

What's the issue?

Maybe but they attract a few hundred fans between them. Not many more than the cougars 👍🏼

I took this as you having a swipe at the Cougars having low crowds. If this isn't the case, I'm not sure of your meaning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dovster said:

Maybe but they attract a few hundred fans between them. Not many more than the cougars 👍🏼

I took this as you having a swipe at the Cougars having low crowds. If this isn't the case, I'm not sure of your meaning.

Not at all, just saying that there are football clubs that do pull in crowds, albeit at a semi professional level and probably not harming cougars crowds too much.

• Like 1