Ex-Fev Player Watch

Complaints about the departure of John Davies have been long and loud. I rated him.

But for me, the loss of Briscoe has been more puzzling and disappointing.  Unless he was an especially high earner, which I doubt, I thought he'd been, inevitable odd error apart, and extremely useful and consistent performer since returning from Leeds.

I accept the 'new broom' concept, and I guess we all have players we'd rather have kept. Luke is one for mine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Complaints about the departure of John Davies have been long and loud. I rated him.

But for me, the loss of Briscoe has been more puzzling and disappointing.  Unless he was an especially high earner, which I doubt, I thought he'd been, inevitable odd error apart, and extremely useful and consistent performer since returning from Leeds.

I accept the 'new broom' concept, and I guess we all have players we'd rather have kept. Luke is one for mine.

Totally agree re both players.  You could argue that Davies was a bit older and the stats suggest that he has played fewer games over the last couple of years / been more of an impact replacement when he has played.  But Briscoe ?  yeah he did have a wobble at the start of last season otherwise very solid and one of the very best strong running finishers at this level.  Donny will love him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Here's my guess....and it's only a guess. I think I read that Luke has a good job outside RL, that might have meant that he didn't want to go full time if we made SL.

We re-signed Gaz Gale, which I think most of us would have been happy about, we signed Minikin (who can play centre or wing) some time ago, we got wind that Wynne (who can also play centre or wing) was available and probably relatively cheap, and we were clearly set to sign Eden if we got promoted.

Maybe the club just made a decision a few weeks ago that we had enough irons in the fire on the wing, a couple of whom would have been younger and possibly cheaper, and decided not to offer Luke a contract.

Maybe that was a factor with JD too (ie had a job outside RL) so we decided we were going in another direction regardless and adjusted our budget accordingly. Like I say, just a guess, but there's no doubt those two are the two "controversial" departures.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Never been a big fan, makes far too many errors and isn’t great dealing with kicks. I can see how people liked his hard running.

Knocked on far too much for me and at crucial moments during important games. He often slung the ball away in the tackle to get penalties but the refs see right through it and more often than not scrum goes the other way. Good luck at Donny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Never been a big fan, makes far too many errors and isn’t great dealing with kicks. I can see how people liked his hard running.

4 hours ago, Catflap said:

Knocked on far too much for me and at crucial moments during important games. He often slung the ball away in the tackle to get penalties but the refs see right through it and more often than not scrum goes the other way. Good luck at Donny.

Well it would be no good if we all thought the same and its good to see other peoples viewpoint but I'm struggling to find a middle ground with these comments.  If Briscoes replacement is an improvement and he flops at Donny I'll come back with a humble apology....  

17 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Well it would be no good if we all thought the same and its good to see other peoples viewpoint but I'm struggling to find a middle ground with these comments.  If Briscoes replacement is an improvement and he flops at Donny I'll come back with a humble apology....  

To be honest I can see both points of view. He's really good in terms of gaining ground in yardage sets and has a good habit of winning penalties, sometimes he almost seems to time lowering his body so he attracts a high tackle on contact.

He is a bit liable to rushing the play-the-ball and making an error though. He reminds me a bit of Misi in that respect, when Misi first came to Fev he seemed to win 2 or 3 penalties every game at the PTB by vigorously trying to get up and the ball would come free, towards the end of his time at Fev though the refs almost seemed to get wise to that and call a knock on everytime.

One thing I will say, a few years ago Luke was a devastating finisher at this level and if he got the ball 10 yards out it was nearly always a try. The tries have dried up in the last two years, whether you blame that on mediocre half back play on that side of the field, or Leilua's one-trick-pony centre play (sometimes effective admittedly), I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One thing I will say, a few years ago Luke was a devastating finisher at this level and if he got the ball 10 yards out it was nearly always a try. The tries have dried up in the last two years, whether you blame that on mediocre half back play on that side of the field, or Leilua's one-trick-pony centre play (sometimes effective admittedly), I'm not sure.

Bit of both for me.  I think when he was scoring more tries it was more to do with better supply.  I don't recall in the last couple of years him missing many chances / half chances.

2 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Bit of both for me.  I think when he was scoring more tries it was more to do with better supply.  I don't recall in the last couple of years him missing many chances / half chances.

That big year Briscoe had, think it was 2018, we had Ridyard pulling the strings and creating the spaces and Holmes had a really good year playing on Briscoe's side.

The half backs on the right hand side over the last two years have been a combination of Morgan Smith, Lacans and Aekins and although they all have their qualities, creativity in passing movements probably isn't the strength of any of them.

Joey's style was either to give Luke a walk-in try or not at all...as you say Luke didn't seem to get that many "half chances" over the last two years.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...