Challenge cup 1st round

Yorky

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Thirty-two or 64 amateur clubs? Do we know which they are?

According to @del capo on the NCL forum:

"Round 1

oulton stanningley west bowling clock face heworth army navy raf 

newsome panthers doncaster toll bar ashton bears orrell st james lowca hammersmith hill hoists medway dragons west warriors

haresfinch fryston south wales jets and edinburgh eagles

Round 2

10 winners from above +

hunslet arlfc west hull mayfield wath brow thatto heath york acorn siddal lock lane leigh miners hull dockers

Some invitees declined for a number of reasons and GB Police are to tour Australia."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This seems like a useful RFL press release:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/62339/leigh-leopard-josh-charnley-to-conduct-round-1-&-2-betfred-challenge-cup-draws

I think the dates are as follows, but haven't seen them all in one place from the RFL.

Round 1 - Jan 13/14

Round 2 - Jan 27/28

Round 3 - Feb 10/11

Round 4 - Feb 24/25

Round 5- March 9/10

Round 6 - March 22-24

QF - April 12-14

SF - May 18-19

Final - June 8

Edited by JonM
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

GAmx_2NXAAAxGOb?format=jpg&name=medium

How far do you think some of these teams could progress (realistically) if they had a cracking tournament and a kind draw?

I say this as someone who has only been watching Superleague recently. As a football fan I think of non league teams that occasionally make it to rounds 3 or 4 in FA cup for example 

Edited by Yorky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yorky said:

How far do you think some of these teams could progress (realistically) if they had a cracking tournament and a kind draw?

I say this as someone who has only been watching Superleague recently. As a football fan I think of non league teams that occasionally make it to rounds 3 or 4 in FA cup for example 

You can't fluke an early goal and "park the bus" in Rugby League like a minnow club in the FA Cup. That is both a strength and a weakness of RL.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Realistically these teams are only beating other amateur teams or maybe 3 or 4 league 1 teams. So with a really fortunate draw, maybe the 5th round but more realistically we might see 1 or 2 in the 4th round.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I see that the match which the BBC will show in round 1 on their website and on i Player is the services clash, RAF -v- the Royal Navy, which I understand will be played at RAF Cranwell in Lincolnshire.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, langpark said:

Welsh team ✅

Scottish team ✅

No Irish team?

Sad to see no Irish teams this year. They had been competing in recent years. Anyone know what happened? Financial burden became too great?

3 were approached but all declined.

Last time out the Dublin City Exiles were successful but travelled again in the next round.   There is a grant from the RFL but it was expensive - they did two Crowd fundings to make it happen.

The Challenge Cup is a tough gig for overseas sides ,  both on and off the park......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought I’d mention this, what happens if a championship/league 1 reaches the final or Semi Final of Both the 1895 Cup and Challenge Cup. It is very possible aswell a lot of championship clubs could make the semis.

6 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Thought I’d mention this, what happens if a championship/league 1 reaches the final or Semi Final of Both the 1895 Cup and Challenge Cup. It is very possible aswell a lot of championship clubs could make the semis.

It rarely happens, but I'm sure there are contingency measures in place for this.

I forget what the details are, but just find the thread where this question has been asked every single year since the founding of the 1895 Cup and it'll be there somewhere.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BBC coverage of the RAF v Navy match has started, with KO at 12:30.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

RAF scored first, but the Navy have just pounced on a rebound off the post pads.

At 11 minutes, it is RAF 4:6 Navy.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson