Wigan start to use Robin Park Arena as an extra income stream.

Padge

Having move their HQ and training to Robin Park Arena Wigan are starting to take advantage of the facilities available to branch out into music concerts as an income stream.

Having already announced that Richard Ashcroft and James Arthur will be performing at Robin Park Arena in July, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds will headline Robin Park Arena on 18 July.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/12/04/noel-gallagher-to-perform-at-robin-park/?fbclid=IwAR1psUEQ29OhTiaOwAkDUB9eHqQsVfbl9X_rrAnoFGFngPZFe9xr56Lu6es

Futtocks will be along shortly to question the use of the term "music".

Edited by Padge
  • Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

and...

🎫 Wigan Warriors and Gigs and Tours are proud to announce that Wigan's own The Lathums will play at Robin Park Arena in July 2024, with Jake Bugg and Brooke Combe to support!

• Like 3

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Some decent line-ups there. Simon Moran's festival in Warrington Neighbourhood Weekend is having a year off in 2024, I wonder if these were broadly who he had lined up. May get along to one or two of these.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Some decent line-ups there. Simon Moran's festival in Warrington Neighbourhood Weekend is having a year off in 2024, I wonder if these were broadly who he had lined up. May get along to one or two of these.

Ashcroft's gig sold out so quickly he has been booked for a second one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Will Limahl be making a homecoming performance? 

Apparently there are no vacancies for cleaners.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Padge said:

Having move their HQ and training to Robin Park Arena Wigan are starting to take advantage of the facilities available to branch out into music concerts as an income stream.

Having already announced that Richard Ashcroft and James Arthur will be performing at Robin Park Arena in July, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds will headline Robin Park Arena on 18 July.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/12/04/noel-gallagher-to-perform-at-robin-park/?fbclid=IwAR1psUEQ29OhTiaOwAkDUB9eHqQsVfbl9X_rrAnoFGFngPZFe9xr56Lu6es

Futtocks will be along shortly to question the use of the term "music".

I clicked on the link, saw that he was wearing a dog tag necklace and shut down the window.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The new training ground looks to be worth it's weight in gold. The training facilities are great for the players and it's been an excellent base for supporters on match days and now this. A few clubs look to be trying to get this sort of thing going now, which is really pleasing. I think an advantage for Wigan is that damage to the pitch won't be a major issue with it being on the training ground and not at the DW. They have a running track around it as well and at one end an area for Hammer/shot put/high jump etc and I presume they'll look to put the stage at that end, which should lessen any damage to the pitch. There is a full size all weather pitch on the site as well, away from the main area, so any training schedules shouldn't be massively impacted. 

Fingers crossed all goes well and it becomes a regular thing and then we start to see some positive financial results. 

Wasn't the focus on Robin Park partly because the club couldn't generate revenues at the stadium itself under the previous set up? Hopefully those other issues are going away now and Wigan can finally start to have non-sporting revenue streams similar to the other big clubs.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Wasn't the focus on Robin Park partly because the club couldn't generate revenues at the stadium itself under the previous set up? Hopefully those other issues are going away now and Wigan can finally start to have non-sporting revenue streams similar to the other big clubs.

They were previously based at the old Pembec School buildings having left the DW years before moving to Robin Park. The council wanted to redevelop the Pembec (Central Park) site and needed to find a new base for Wigan RL. The council needed to offload Robin Park Arena to save money so a neat solution was available. The rugby club haven't been based at the DW for years so had no affect on their move to the Arena.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 23:04, Padge said:

They were previously based at the old Pembec School buildings having left the DW years before moving to Robin Park. The council wanted to redevelop the Pembec (Central Park) site and needed to find a new base for Wigan RL. The council needed to offload Robin Park Arena to save money so a neat solution was available. The rugby club haven't been based at the DW for years so had no affect on their move to the Arena.

Didn’t they also own and use Orrell RU’s facilities?

21 minutes ago, philipw said:

Orrell was the Academy home base and Wigan's training centre, its no longer used but the club still owns it.

The move to Robin Park Arena allowed Wigan's, admin, teaching, training and none first team games to all be under one roof instead of split.

Edited by Padge

3 hours ago, philipw said:

Sounds like Orrell has turned in to a bit of a dead weight for them. I think the hope was that the land could be sold for a fortune to housing developers but planning permission was turned down due to access problems. Not sure if that could change or not in the future. 

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Big battle between Halifax and Wigan to be the North's Premier Music area.

Halifax have most of the above artists +Tom Jones and Status Quo.

Unlike the 80's and 90's when we had some great games,this is likely to be the only way we can get one over Wigan.

Piece Hall is a cracking place. We have a drive over from Wigan now and again and saw a couple of bands on during the summer. I've got tickets for the Lathums in Wigan but might try one of the gigs booked in for Halifax. 

3 hours ago, Padge said:

Orrell was the Academy home base and Wigan's training centre, its no longer used but the club still owns it.

The move to Robin Park Arena allowed Wigan's, admin, teaching, training and none first team games to all be under one roof instead of split.

Thought so. The move to centralise makes complete sense too. 

20 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Sounds like Orrell has turned in to a bit of a dead weight for them. I think the hope was that the land could be sold for a fortune to housing developers but planning permission was turned down due to access problems. Not sure if that could change or not in the future. 

The access problem isn't unsolvable, but would involve some 'negotiation' and persuasion.

Don't forget there is already access to the site for deliveries and supporters.

Edited by Padge

On 04/12/2023 at 21:58, Dave T said:

Moran will still be making plenty of cash wherever these gigs are being played!

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

The Orrell land is a very valuable piece of land. Orrell is a lovely place to live. 

Its only valuable if you can build on it.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

Its only valuable if you can build on it.

Fingers crossed it can be sorted out. If it could then I guess it would be worth an awful lot of money because as pointed out, it's in an area people want to live.