On this day in RL history...

Very good thread... especially as we are now in the off season and loads of these 'on this day' will be from winter Rugby.

Have to start searching through Rugby League Project for some facts.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1950, Johnny Whiteley MBE made his club debut for Hull FC. 

Getting us off to a great start there, mate.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On this day in 1966 Hull beat Hunslet 12-10 at the Boulevard. Not particularly memorable in any way other than it was my first season watching Hull, it was Christmas so as a kid I was already on a high and the sunset was beautiful. It's always stuck in my mind.

• Like 4

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On this day in 1968 I was at Craven Park to see the last ever Christmas Day derby between Hull and Hull KR. It also brought to end Aussie legend Artie Beetson's stay at Rovers when he broke his leg.

Can't remember the result which probably means Rovers won.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 27/12/2023 at 10:00, Wigan Riversider said:

Probably wrong but I think St Helens massacred Wigan at Knowsley Road on this day in 1992? Saints wore a Coors shirt and the rest of it is a bit of a blur. Think Wigan scored first and then Saints scored for fun afterwards. J Monie said afterwards that if he could he would drop all 17 players.

Looking it up it was 41-6 which is some score line with the team Wigan had out. 

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

It was totally unexpected but one had to just take it on the chin. Saints were white hot on the day. Remember being told that players' cars were vandalised outside Central Park. Totally out of order if true.

That was an era where Saints were not quite good enough to win the big prizes but they could still do that to anyone. That was the start of a good side with Hunte and Connolly coming in and being good enough right from the off. 

6 hours ago, bobbruce said:

That was an era where Saints were not quite good enough to win the big prizes but they could still do that to anyone. That was the start of a good side with Hunte and Connolly coming in and being good enough right from the off. 

It was also the season when Wigan and Saints finished joint top with 41 points with Wigan champions on points difference.

They also drew 8-8 on Good Friday in the 3rd last game of the season, if Saints had edged it they'd have been champions.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was also the season when Wigan and Saints finished joint top with 41 points with Wigan champions on points difference.

They also drew 8-8 on Good Friday in the 3rd last game of the season, if Saints had edged it they'd have been champions.

The Hand of Gus OD which didn't touch the ball when Joe Lydon dropped the goal.

Would have been 9-8 to Wigan.

Thirty years ago today was the last ever 0-0 draw in the professional game as Whitehaven played Workington at home. The game had been restaged, having been postponed two days earlier. Dean Marwood missed a couple of penalty shots and Haven still complain a try was wrongly disallowed in the final moments. 

I wasn’t at this unfortunately. I’d set off to the original game on Boxing Day and turned round when Radio Cumbria announced the postponement. But on the 28th, I had tickets for Liverpool v Wimbledon which turned out to be a dreadful game. I can still remember ringing my mate from Lime Street Station to get the Town score and not quite believing him that it had ended 0-0! 

• Like 6

On 28/12/2023 at 20:55, sheddingswasus said:

Today in 1980, Oldham beat Hull 2-1 at the old Watersheddings ground!

I remember it well. Played in absolutely atrocious conditions.

On this day in 1912, the 3rd and final test of the 1911-12 Ashes series was played at Villa Park in front of approximately 4,000 fans. 

GB led 8-0 early on but were reduced to 12 men after suffering an injury to Dick Ramsdale. Australia would go on to run in 9 tries and take the victory 8-33, and claim the Ashes. This would be the last Ashes series won by Aus on British soil until 1964.

• Like 1

Completely forgot to post this yesterday.

New Years Fay 1988.  One of the most brutal and chaotic gamesni ever attended. 

https://youtu.be/mjLC_vqhfZ0?si=46HpA4AesGiI-ajQ

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 28/12/2023 at 20:01, Richard de la Riviere said:

Thirty years ago today was the last ever 0-0 draw in the professional game as Whitehaven played Workington at home. The game had been restaged, having been postponed two days earlier. Dean Marwood missed a couple of penalty shots and Haven still complain a try was wrongly disallowed in the final moments. 

I wasn’t at this unfortunately. I’d set off to the original game on Boxing Day and turned round when Radio Cumbria announced the postponement. But on the 28th, I had tickets for Liverpool v Wimbledon which turned out to be a dreadful game. I can still remember ringing my mate from Lime Street Station to get the Town score and not quite believing him that it had ended 0-0! 

I was at this, it was a slog to say the least. And that Haven try was definitely forward, I could tell perfectly from the angle I had behind it 40 yards away...

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

I was at this, it was a slog to say the least. And that Haven try was definitely forward, I could tell perfectly from the angle I had behind it 40 yards away...

I was at it too and it was not a match to rewatch but it was a proper, "I was there" experience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 02/01/2024 at 08:39, Fevrover said:

There's some 'football' scores there. Must have been some tense games with them scores and great atmospheres.

Seems really strange to think now that as kids we'd open our presents then leg it down to the Boulevard or do the two bus journey to Craven Park for an 11am kick off on Christmas morning.

• Like 2