Match thread: 1895 Cup. Batley Bulldogs v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 4th February 2024.

5 minutes ago, Tubby said:

But surely the savings made on players wages are an indication that we may be looking to improve other IMG points scoring criteria.  I'd have been more worried if we carried on spending big on the pitch at the cost of improvements elsewhere.  In the new IMG world, there are more important things than winning...

Although, there are of course points to be had for winning the 1895 cup.

This is modern Rugby League.

Potentially yes, but then it goes back to the point of radio silence from the club. What have we spent the Wakefield council money on? What are we spending the money saved on? Of course they don't have to answer these questions, but it would be nice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Potentially yes, but then it goes back to the point of radio silence from the club. What have we spent the Wakefield council money on? What are we spending the money saved on? Of course they don't have to answer these questions, but it would be nice.

Agree very little communication from the club where money is concerned.Unless they are putting up price or asking for sponsorship money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Bates said:

Agreed, I've assumed that the WMDC money hasn't been spent, but as you say, not much coming from the club.  Even a 'we're working on the IMG criteria' or something would be nice to hear.

• Like 1

If we're to be a Championship club full stop as seems likely. Surely the club has to show it's fans and the rest of the RL fraternity, that they will strive to be the best club in the Chanpionship. I don't mean by spending like previous on players, but improving the infrastructure of the club. Like has been mentioned, by trying to embrace the IMG proposals. There's certain areas of the ground that needs improving ( I'm not including the old chestnut of the floodlights) as that appears to be a moot point. If the ground is just left, it will be too late to improve. 

• Like 1

Cracking posts wasginger and pretty much sums up my feeling about the future of the game and our club.

Regarding the £2m from WMDC, hasn't some of the money (600k?) been used to purchase millennium house in order to create a new access into the stadium from Station Lane. Then to build on the existing  car park? Although not see anything confirming that the money is from the Council. If not it might explain the significant reduction in the squad and lack of upgrade to  the lights. 

Edited by Mark T
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Surprised Kamano didn't get one, looked like a crusher tackle to me.

There was something about that when they first published the disciplinary minutes but it seems to have been removed now for some reason along with the others that didn't receive a charge. It basically said there wasn't any offence commited so no further action (same for Addy's late hit and Gale's high tackle). 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 10:28, sentoffagain2 said:

I said a month ago that i thought we would finish about 7th.Why would i judge us on getting beat at Batley who have been a match for Fev sides with 3 times their playing budget over recent years.I don't see much difference in where we finish this season if we finish out of the relegation places.Winning the Championship is a worthy ambition but other than that teams are playing for nowt.It is a transition year for Rovers with a playing budget of below £500k  about half of last years.One thing i am looking forward to is seeing the team perform  well to win games instead of beating teams by 30 or 40 points without playing doing so.

I heartily agree with you on everything apart from the likely finishing position. Apart from Wakefield, Bradford, and possibly Halifax, I don't see any other clubs that will be yards ahead of us and it should be a cracking competition for the lower play-off places, and whoever can strengthen in mid to late season will have a good chance of progressing to the final. Home advantage always seems to be a poisoned chalice in my book.

In the case of Rovers, the current smaller squad gives a lot of opportunity for the virtually unknowns to make a name for themselves, and by mid season we should know where the strengths and weaknesses are, and in which positions to bring in some proven quality if any cash is available (maybe we could all put a bit more into the Squad Builder?). Maybe if we'd not started with a loan half-back who was susceptle to recall at any time, Tommy Lacans might have established himself and been an automatic choice in the semi against London?

I don’t think fax will be up there with the top teams can see them finishing 6-10th I think wakey Bradford York and Sheffield will be top teams with the likes of us batley Doncaster Halifax battling it out for the rest of the play off spots 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

I don’t think fax will be up there with the top teams can see them finishing 6-10th I think wakey Bradford York and Sheffield will be top teams with the likes of us batley Doncaster Halifax battling it out for the rest of the play off spots 

Wakey

Bradford 

Fev

York

Fax

Sheff

Donny

Batley

Barrow

Widnes

Whitehaven

Dews

Swinton

My opinion Thoughts ? have i missed anyone ?

10 minutes ago, Bat Lad said:

Wakey

Bradford 

Fev

York

Fax

Sheff

Donny

Batley

Barrow

Widnes

Whitehaven

Dews

Swinton

Toulouse pulled out of the league? 😉

• Haha 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, Bat Lad said:

Wakey

Bradford 

Fev

York

Fax

Sheff

Donny

Batley

Barrow

Widnes

Whitehaven

Dews

Swinton

I think 3rd is high for us I’d expect to be between 5th and 7th I also think Whitehaven will surprise a few and be close to the play offs 

6 hours ago, Bat Lad said:

Wakey

Bradford 

Fev

York

Fax

Sheff

Donny

Batley

Barrow

Widnes

Whitehaven

Dews

Swinton

Widnes are 6th in the betting with Betfred and 8th with Skybet but in my view they might be genuine relegation candidates this year. The minor meltdown of some of the Fev fanbase recently has nothing on that of the Widnes fans, some of whom thought they were losing players to (for instance) League 1 Oldham because they had better ones coming in, and then it slowly dawned that they had probably been outbid for the likes of Craven/Lawton/Farnworth etc. They lost 10 players from last year and I don't think the ones they have replaced them with are as good, to me their squad looks to have gone steadily downhill over the last 2 to 3 years. Their head of operations seems to be in an ongoing slanging match with some of the fanbase too.

Dewsbury don't look to have much quality and they will deserve plenty of credit if they aren't involved in a relegation battle. Swinton and Whitehaven seem to be forecast as relegation candidates every year but usually seem to outperform pre-season predictions. So it might be Dewsbury and Widnes for me, assuming there isn't any tinkering with the formula for relegation.

We are probably one of the harder clubs to predict, if everything fell into place top 3 wouldn't be impossible but missing out on the top 6 definitely isn't out of the question either if we don't improve in some areas. I think and hope that we will, and as said previously am looking forward to more games where winning will seem an achievement rather than the "meh" feeling over the last couple of years.

On 09/02/2024 at 14:25, The Phantom Horseman said:

Widnes are 6th in the betting with Betfred and 8th with Skybet but in my view they might be genuine relegation candidates this year. The minor meltdown of some of the Fev fanbase recently has nothing on that of the Widnes fans, some of whom thought they were losing players to (for instance) League 1 Oldham because they had better ones coming in, and then it slowly dawned that they had probably been outbid for the likes of Craven/Lawton/Farnworth etc. They lost 10 players from last year and I don't think the ones they have replaced them with are as good, to me their squad looks to have gone steadily downhill over the last 2 to 3 years. Their head of operations seems to be in an ongoing slanging match with some of the fanbase too.

Dewsbury don't look to have much quality and they will deserve plenty of credit if they aren't involved in a relegation battle. Swinton and Whitehaven seem to be forecast as relegation candidates every year but usually seem to outperform pre-season predictions. So it might be Dewsbury and Widnes for me, assuming there isn't any tinkering with the formula for relegation.

We are probably one of the harder clubs to predict, if everything fell into place top 3 wouldn't be impossible but missing out on the top 6 definitely isn't out of the question either if we don't improve in some areas. I think and hope that we will, and as said previously am looking forward to more games where winning will seem an achievement rather than the "meh" feeling over the last couple of years.

So long as Swinton Lions are everyone’s predicted relegation fodder, we will always have a just cause to prove “them” wrong. There can be no better incentive than be written off every year before a balls been kicked 😊. Bring it on …..! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert the Builder said:

So long as Swinton Lions are everyone’s predicted relegation fodder, we will always have a just cause to prove “them” wrong. There can be no better incentive than be written off every year before a balls been kicked 😊. Bring it on …..! 

Every year? You only came back up last season. 😂

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Up the Lions! All the best for 2024.

You're in the 1885 quarterfinals which is more than we can say for us 

They are also in the 1895 quarter finals as well Mark😂😂😂😂 Don't edit your mistake cos you'll make my post look silly😀

• Haha 1