Exciting Times in New Zealand

On 18/02/2024 at 15:32, eal said:

The big concern with Christchurch will be recruitment, which is the big concern with Auckland and Perth also. Producing local talent will be imperative as few top tier Australian players will be willing to live in Christchurch. This doesn't mean expansion is doomed, but it will be a challenge to build a regularly competitive team.

The recruitment problem will be solved if the NRL puts money into grass roots in the South Island, especially school teams, but also weekend amateur teams. It will be tough to find enough quality locals at first. But after 5 years the problem will be solved.

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 2

On 07/03/2024 at 04:23, Bradman Better said:

The recruitment problem will be solved if the NRL puts money into grass roots in the South Island, especially school teams, but also weekend amateur teams. It will be tough to find enough quality locals at first. But after 5 years the problem will be solved.

I'm not sure after almost 30 years if the Warriors have yet found and kept enough quality locals - they have been mediocre for most of their history after all.

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2024 at 04:32, eal said:

The big concern with Christchurch will be recruitment, which is the big concern with Auckland and Perth also. Producing local talent will be imperative as few top tier Australian players will be willing to live in Christchurch. This doesn't mean expansion is doomed, but it will be a challenge to build a regularly competitive team.

I think Perth is an enticing proposition for enough talented players

11 hours ago, eal said:

I'm not sure after almost 30 years if the Warriors have yet found and kept enough quality locals - they have been mediocre for most of their history after all.

Thats a club issue not a talent issue.

• Like 2

A lot of talented Kiwi RL players don't want to stay in Auckland and prefer hitting the big time over in Australia. I imagine Christchurch will have even more trouble than Auckland in retaining and attracting talent.

6 hours ago, eal said:

A lot of talented Kiwi RL players don't want to stay in Auckland and prefer hitting the big time over in Australia. I imagine Christchurch will have even more trouble than Auckland in retaining and attracting talent.

Is there a reason why that theory doesn’t translate to Super Rugby?

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

I suspect because Aus Super Rugby isnt’t considered to be the “big time”

Don’t they also have a policy whereby you have to play in NZ to qualify to play for the All blacks?

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

I suspect because Aus Super Rugby isnt’t considered to be the “big time”

But Auckland RL is the NRL and therefore the big time right? I reckon a second team will only further the “privilege” of being a kiwi representing a NZ team in the NRL.

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Don’t they also have a policy whereby you have to play in NZ to qualify to play for the All blacks?

I think NZRU have allowed All Blacks players to take “sabbatical” contracts in Europe and Japan before.

To represent the All Blacks one has to play for a New Zealand Super Rugby franchise, apart from a few sabbaticals granted to veteran players for half a season or something. The Crusaders have been the most successful domestic franchise in world rugby so they are seen as a great team to play for - no better pathway to the All Blacks exists. If there is an NRL Christchurch team they are going to need to be successful fast as they will be up against the dominant Rugby culture of Christchurch and the hyper-successful Crusaders. People will lose interest in a League team down the bottom of the table pretty fast. Even the Warriors drop from relevance pretty fast when they aren't good.

On 18/02/2024 at 20:32, eal said:

Maybe for the younger players aged 25 and under who would maybe be attracted to the bright lights of Sydney or even Brisbane but I’m sure the more seasoned and experienced players who are married and have young families could be tempted to live on the South Island for a couple of seasons.

On 07/03/2024 at 10:23, Bradman Better said:

100%.

in a ideal world the NRL should announce that a South Island based NZ2 franchise would enter the competition in 2029 allowing the proposed team enough lead in time to develop pathways for young players by way of entering u17, u19 and u21 teams into the various age grade NSW competitions.

they could also enter a team into the NSW cup reserve grade competition.

10 hours ago, going for the corner said:

Was anything announced at Las Vegas by the NZ2 bid team or have I totally missed it?

I have a horrible feeling that there isn’t really a solid bid team behind the proposed Christchurch/south island franchise.

Yes me too. It's been discussed here before, but it looks like Abdo & V'Landys are trying to drum up concrete interest in a bid, and nothing has really eventuated yet.

23 minutes ago, stookie said:

Yes me too. It's been discussed here before, but it looks like Abdo & V'Landys are trying to drum up concrete interest in a bid, and nothing has really eventuated yet.

That sucks if true because I’m coming around to the idea of a South Island team for the NZ2 franchise bid.

i honestly thought it would have been a no-brainier for some wealthy backer or a consortium based on the South Island what with the NRL being so popular and the recent off-field success of the warriors.

attendances for the warriors trial games in Christchurch have also been a huge positive as well.

• Like 2

On 18/02/2024 at 20:32, eal said:

What's wrong with Christchurch ?

We are always hearing how great NZ is 

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

On an international scale, every NZ city outside of Auckland is a sleepy provincial town - maybe Wellington is in between international city and provincial town? Christchurch is pleasant enough but it is small.

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Better options for Aussies in Australia and kiwis.

rightly or wrongly Christchurch has that sleepy provincial vibe about it which might put a lot of the younger players off.

4 hours ago, eal said:

On an international scale, every NZ city outside of Auckland is a sleepy provincial town - maybe Wellington is in between international city and provincial town? Christchurch is pleasant enough but it is small.

Kind of similar to a Canberra or a bigger version of Newcastle or Townsville.

Looks like another bid coming out of New Zealand`s South Island city of Christchurch.

New Christchurch stadium a chance to add another New Zealand NRL side | RNZ News

One of the country's most experienced sports administrators says a South Island-based National Rugby League (NRL) club could be in action as early as 2026.

Talks are underway for the 'South Island Kea' to be included in an expanded premiership in the coming years.

The team would be based in Christchurch, with the forthcoming multi-use Te Kaha Stadium set to be completed by April 2026.

Former New Zealand Rugby and NRL boss David Moffett is helming the project and plans to meet with Australian rugby league executives over the next few weeks.

It also comes on the heels of a separate bid led by former Canterbury Rugby League administrator.

The rival ventures are now set to face off in a pursuit to bring a professional rugby league operation to the mainland.

Moffett, who has also had stints in charge of Sport England and the Welsh Rugby Union, said his interest in a South Island-based NRL club dates back to 2012.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1