Whitehaven 1895 cup

Although every Derby against our scruffy neighbours always carries some weight, as we are both out of the cup and play again in a fortnight for the Ike this game is watered down in terms of importance & bragging rights.

Most Importantly fingers crossed there are no injuries and no further bans, then let's hope a good crowd turns up for the club financially.  After that it will just be a hope that its a close exciting game and that we can improve our patterns of play, along with our line speed and especially our line defence. The line defence especially will be needed against the likes of King. As with Barrow they should beat us handily on paper, but maybe their overseas recruitment policy will mean the local lads will have a bit more fire in their belly. So let's hope we can sneak a win or two to give the lads a boost for Oldham. UTT. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

28 minutes ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

Thought all cup games had shared gates and Town got the added benefits from hosting it

League 1 clubs keep the gate money when playing a championship team 

• Thanks 1

On 16/02/2024 at 23:23, Peter Winthorpe said:

My heart says 16 to 14 but my brain says 14 to 28.

Hope it's a good game with no injuries and we would prefer to win the IKE game anyway. 

I hope for a good game, a good crowd and a good attitude, we need each other and I hope in the championship next time

UTT.

It's a Haven win, especially with what they have invested into the 2024 season team, but a good Town performance will be good enough going forward for the new season, and the financial benefits will be great.  

• Like 2

Well not quite sure how we lost that. Certainly the performance didn't deserve a defeat. Haven 2 breakaway/intercepted tries and town bombed two towards the end. Even in defeat I'd imagine Muz is the happier coach.

Really impressed with walton again. Hutton looks reliable, Taylor is going to turn out to be a great signing also. Scholey deserving of man of the match. As good as I've seen him for a while. 

I've seen enough so far against championship opposition to be fairly confident we will be a top 3 side this season

Edited by townie88
  • Like 5

First game of the season and thoroughly enjoyed it. Could have been 20 points up at half time, sammuts try from the kick off was sublime, a pity he was involved in their first two trys but that's what you get with Jerrard, we are a better team when he plays. Haven won the game in the 3rd quarter of the game where we struggled to match their physicality.

• Like 3

Have to say well done today sublime first half we just couldn’t get going and you controlled everything appart from our two runaways best team on the field by far I literally was gonna walk out the ground after 20 mins u embarrassed us and it had taken untill 50 mins for us to realise what this game is and means from our point of view I thought we wer shocking couldn’t hold the ball and discipline was terrible we must be 100x better for two weeks time as I say TODAY THE BEST TEAM LOST your team of Cumbrians understand what this derby means to the towns play like that first half you won’t be far away this season 

• Like 15

Great game to watch, it's a pity the result went against us as for long periods we were the better team.

Most importantly hopefully our injuries aren't too bad. 

Played some good stuff at times and held our own against their bigger pack. It's a shame two mistakes led directly to tries and that proved the difference in the end. But loads of positives to take and Muz will definitely be the happier coach of the two. The Haven International select have a lot of work to do to stay in the championship playing like that.

For us our whole team played really well. Sammut has definitely had better games in a Town shirt, but it's a dead rubber game so not the end of the world. 

I found it quite amusing how much Haven and their fans celebrated winning, I suppose they may not have many chances to do so in the championship next season as some of their players were very poor. But I suppose it sets up the Ike very nicely. UTT! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

1 minute ago, The Voodooguru said:

Great game to watch, it's a pity the result went against us as for long periods we were the better team.

Most importantly hopefully our injuries aren't too bad. 

Played some good stuff at times and held our own against their bigger pack. It's a shame two mistakes led directly to tries and that proved the difference in the end. But loads of positives to take and Muz will definitely be the happier coach of the two. The Haven International select have a lot of work to do to stay in the championship playing like that.

For us our whole team played really well. Sammut has definitely had better games in a Town shirt, but it's a dead rubber game so not the end of the world. 

I found it quite amusing how much Haven and their fans celebrated winning, I suppose they may not have many chances to do so in the championship next season as some of their players were very poor. But I suppose it sets up the Ike very nicely. UTT! 

Put it this way mate no haven fan is celebrating that show, but then again it’s a sign of a good team to play so badly and still get the win 

• Like 2

Just now, town4me said:

We should have won. They're gonna struggle to survive in the championship big time.

Should of could of would of pal that’s the worst performance I’ve seen in donkeys and we still won after starting to play after 50 mins don’t worry about haven we can only get better 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Havenfan13 said:

Put it this way mate no haven fan is celebrating that show, but then again it’s a sign of a good team to play so badly and still get the win 

There were plenty celebrating it and a couple of young lads trying to provoke us as we left, so I just congratulated them.

Good team? Are you serious?? Sorry but you won't play champ 1 teams all season.

1 minute ago, The Voodooguru said:

There were plenty celebrating it and a couple of young lads trying to provoke us as we left, so I just congratulated them.

Good team? Are you serious?? Sorry but you won't play champ 1 teams all season.

Nothing good about today from a haven perspective I’m just saying no poor sides int championship haven will come good takes time just remember u played out your skins today and we couldn’t play any worse but who won in the end I’m sure the next game will be totally different 

12 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

Should of could of would of pal that’s the worst performance I’ve seen in donkeys and we still won after starting to play after 50 mins don’t worry about haven we can only get better 

I won't worry about you but you need to.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Havenfan13 said:

Nothing good about today from a haven perspective I’m just saying no poor sides int championship haven will come good takes time just remember u played out your skins today and we couldn’t play any worse but who won in the end I’m sure the next game will be totally different 

We played well, but we can definitely play better as we also made a few mistakes, and 2 led directly to tries. I don't doubt the odds are in your favour for the Ike, you are in the league above us.

Serious question, will Phillips & Newton be your hookers for the upcoming season or have you somebody else?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

We played well, but we can definitely play better as we also made a few mistakes, and 2 led directly to tries. I don't doubt the odds are in your favour for the Ike, you are in the league above us.

Serious question, will Phillips & Newton be your hookers for the upcoming season or have you somebody else?

Got Marcus obrien to come into the squad when he’s fit too pal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Havenfan13 said:

I wouldn’t say we played out of our skins, played better than we have for a while, especially in the first half where our defence was outstanding and we played  sets of six out well and had a great kicking game. Your talisman, Aiye, was the difference I thought as you seemed to improve when he was on and just pure physicality in the middle of the 2nd half was enough to get you the win. Was a pity Jake dropped that ball for what was a certain score as we deserved at least a draw. I’d get your full back wrapped in cotton wool because every tackle seemed to hurt him and he was limping. From our point of view really hope our injuries aren’t too bad. Well played lads, unlucky! UTT

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

Got Marcus obrien to come into the squad when he’s fit too pal

Thought your spine was poor today. Cus & Jammer will definitely improve you, and as they did today your pack will probably win you a few games. You just need to be lucky with injuries to stay out of a relegation battle again. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Thought your spine was poor today. Cus & Jammer will definitely improve you, and as they did today your pack will probably win you a few games. You just need to be lucky with injuries to stay out of a relegation battle again. 

To be honest mate I thought we wer weak at prop today it’s like it’s swapped around this year for us last season we had great forward this year the backs seem stronger I have to agree town are A better side than I was exspecting 

• Thanks 1