Interest in Oldham in the media

sheddingswasus

The club are certainly gaining good vibes from the press and media. After years in the doldrums it is great to see. We put up a good show on national TV last Saturday and Shaun Long made the national breakfast news!

LoveRL have just published an article of 5 possible news features for later in the season  

Number 5 caught my eye and made me smile  all tongue in cheek but shows what an impression we are making:

Oldham gain an unprecedented double-promotion

The pre-season mood around League 1 side Oldham is that they have assembled the best squad the third-tier might have ever seen – perhaps with the exception of Toronto’s all-star inaugural squad. And the RFL and IMG, well aware of that hype, consider something altogether more remarkable as the season goes on.

As Oldham roll towards a clean sweep of the League 1campaign, with victory in every game and a points difference well above 1,000, the shock announcement that Mike Ford has convinced son George to have a crack at the Championship in 2025 leads to drastic action.

Oldham aren’t just promoted from League 1: they can skip the Championship altogether thanks to a late addition to the grading which details any club employing a former England rugby union international with George in their name secures a bonus 15 points on their score. Keighley, now keen advocates of IMG by this point, frantically try to scratch a deal together for Jamie George given the news – but fail to agree personal terms.”

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

The club are certainly gaining good vibes from the press and media. After years in the doldrums it is great to see. We put up a good show on national TV last Saturday and Shaun Long made the national breakfast news!

LoveRL have just published an article of 5 possible news features for later in the season  

Number 5 caught my eye and made me smile  all tongue in cheek but shows what an impression we are making:

Oldham gain an unprecedented double-promotion

The pre-season mood around League 1 side Oldham is that they have assembled the best squad the third-tier might have ever seen – perhaps with the exception of Toronto’s all-star inaugural squad. And the RFL and IMG, well aware of that hype, consider something altogether more remarkable as the season goes on.

As Oldham roll towards a clean sweep of the League 1campaign, with victory in every game and a points difference well above 1,000, the shock announcement that Mike Ford has convinced son George to have a crack at the Championship in 2025 leads to drastic action.

Oldham aren’t just promoted from League 1: they can skip the Championship altogether thanks to a late addition to the grading which details any club employing a former England rugby union international with George in their name secures a bonus 15 points on their score. Keighley, now keen advocates of IMG by this point, frantically try to scratch a deal together for Jamie George given the news – but fail to agree personal terms.”

I genuinely believe that George will have a go at pro RL before he retires. If we'd got promoted last year then it would have been, with us,  sooner rather than later. The question I have is, because I'm not au fait with union, is a fly half the same as a stand off half?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a couple of links to the role of Fly half.

https://www.rugbypass.com/articles/fly-half-1st-5-8th-position-guide/

https://www.ruck.co.uk/funniest-definition-of-every-rugby-position-youve-ever-heard/2/

In my experience normally someone with a huge ego who doesn't think his backs are any good so he won't pass to them. Usually the ego is in inverse ratio to his talent.

They will choose to kick or pass, usually the first and will, usually be the teams goal kicker.

• Haha 3

On 13/02/2024 at 22:28, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I genuinely believe that George will have a go at pro RL before he retires. If we'd got promoted last year then it would have been, with us,  sooner rather than later. The question I have is, because I'm not au fait with union, is a fly half the same as a stand off half?

Don’t forget he was an England RL international at youth and schoolboy level. He may have captained a higher age group. I can’t remember the details though. 

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

Don’t forget he was an England RL international at youth and schoolboy level. He may have captained a higher age group. I can’t remember the details though. 

Im almost certain he wasnt.

He played academy at Bradford.

2 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Looking back think he was a dual international at schoolboy. But signed for Leicester aged 16. My mistake. 

Cant find any record of George Ford playing RL for England at any level. 

53 minutes ago, philipw said:

Another website update @Dave Naylorhttps://roughyeds.co.uk/2024/02/oldham-bring-in-media-consultant/

I don't actually mind the current setup/ layout of it - it's generally quite intuitive. 

Better late than never I suppose. I also really like the website as well. Seem to remember at the fans forum them saying we smash the IMG numbers for the website as well, so it’s an interesting focus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, philipw said:

Another website update @Dave Naylorhttps://roughyeds.co.uk/2024/02/oldham-bring-in-media-consultant/

I don't actually mind the current setup/ layout of it - it's generally quite intuitive. 

A new website is on the way — so I'm told — however I'm not involved.  

The current site morphed out of the Dare to be Wise fan site I did a while back.  I'd designed that as a "What I'd do if I built a website for the club".  It's the only website in any division that uses its current software platform and literally every byte of code came from my keyboard.  It's super fast and I literally can't remember the last time it was down — I don't think it has been for years.  I monitor it like a hawk with various bits of automation.

Prior to the new owners coming on board I was at the planning stage of a new design.  The new site was going to take on board what I think works, change/ditch what I think doesn't and add some more fun bits.   I've now got lots of experience at running an RL website (I actually also manage several other websites both connected and unconnected with RL).  Oh yeah and we smashed the IMG figures by almost double.

Anyway, I've lovingly kept the current site updated to the best of my ability — as a labour of love — for the past six or seven years.  I've updated it from halfway up a mountain in Greece, sat cross-legged in front of the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury, from my hotel room in Manhattan, NYC, lying on the beach at Marbella and most recently from Waterstones Cafe at Bentalls Dept store in Kingston-on-Thames.

After one game, I was sat on the runway in an aircraft waiting to come home from a holiday.  I was able to download Murgy's images after a game just before we took off.  I processed the photos during the flight and prepared the match report.  As soon as we landed I pushed the update and it all appeared on the site before I got home.  

It works in such a way that it's easy for me to run a copy of it on my mobile devices and post news articles with images pretty darned quickly.  It's also super nerdy but hey-ho.

I hope the new website delivers something good for the club and fans.  It's going to be strange being on the outside.  I can't wait to critique it.

Edited by Dave Naylor
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 3

Sorry to hear that Dave. Seems like change for the sake of change, then!

The website that you have been running and constantly updating, has been really well presented, in a clear and concise format and you deserve much credit for the whole package. I and I'm sure many others, appreciate all your hard work, commitment and enthusiasm over the last few seasons, but it seems there are others who think they know better, so we'll see what happens there then.

Edited by Logic
Missing word.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

A new website is on the way — so I'm told — however I'm not involved.  

The current site morphed out of the Dare to be Wise fan site I did a while back.  I'd designed that as a "What I'd do if I built a website for the club".  It's the only website in any division that uses its current software platform and literally every byte of code came from my keyboard.  It's super fast and I literally can't remember the last time it was down — I don't think it has been for years.  I monitor it like a hawk with various bits of automation.

Prior to the new owners coming on board I was at the planning stage of a new design.  The new site was going to take on board what I think works, change/ditch what I think doesn't and add some more fun bits.   I've now got lots of experience at running an RL website (I actually also manage several other websites both connected and unconnected with RL).  Oh yeah and we smashed the IMG figures by almost double.

Anyway, I've lovingly kept the current site updated to the best of my ability — as a labour of love — for the past six or seven years.  I've updated it from halfway up a mountain in Greece, sat cross-legged in front of the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury, from my hotel room in Manhattan, NYC, lying on the beach at Marbella and most recently from Waterstones Cafe at Bentalls Dept store in Kingston-on-Thames.

After one game, I was sat on the runway in an aircraft waiting to come home from a holiday.  I was able to download Murgy's images after a game just before we took off.  I processed the photos during the flight and prepared the match report.  As soon as we landed I pushed the update and it all appeared on the site before I got home.  

It works in such a way that it's easy for me to run a copy of it on my mobile devices and post news articles with images pretty darned quickly.  It's also super nerdy but hey-ho.

I hope the new website delivers something good for the club and fans.  It's going to be strange being on the outside.  I can't wait to critique it.

What on earth is going on with the club all of a sudden? Two massive own goals on the media front in a matter of days. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication Dave.

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Like 1

I expect one is the result of the other.

Thanks a million Dave for all your work…a labour of love and now jilted it seems. Rugby league clubs need people like you….its what makes it ‘the greatest game’.

As for consultants….the rules of this website prevent me from saying what I really think. 

• Like 3