Liam Moore

25 minutes ago, meast said:

I've been impressed with him for a few seasons now and he's been absolutely superb in the Hull derby, got every decision correct, has managed the game and players well, has let the game flow, and has been confident in his decision making and not relying on the VR to make decisions for him.

Brilliant 👏🏼

Long may this type of post continue. Positive start for the forum, officials wise so far.

• Like 2

Do we really need to be praising individual referees with their own threads? 

I appreciate this forum’s will to rid itself of referee bashing and it’s great to see most are on board, but I am from the school of “the best compliment a referee can get, is no-one mentions him”.

• Like 1

Thought he handled the first half cards very well and overall seems a bit communicator. I do think he got the second half ones the wrong way round but there’s already plenty of discussion on that on the match thread.  

8 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I appreciate this forum’s will to rid itself of referee bashing and it’s great to see most are on board, but I am from the school of “the best compliment a referee can get, is no-one mentions him”.

Why? 

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why what?

Why is it the best compliment to not get mentioned? At a time where ref bashing is the go to excuse for so many spectators who find themselves on the losing side, surely a well placed "ref did well" every now and again can't hurt.

• Like 3

Just now, PoorhousePete said:

Why is it the best compliment to not get mentioned? At a time where ref bashing is the go to excuse for so many spectators who find themselves on the losing side, surely a well placed "ref did well" every now and again can't hurt.

Yeah I know. My “not get mentioned” isn’t to be taken literally.

Sure, “ref did well” is a very worthy comment. “He got the big decisions correct” is equally a worthy comment and praise which I would consider to be a fully acceptable statement in a match thread.

What sits strange with me though is a specific need to give an individual referee a thread of his own for doing a good job after the very first game of the season.

I mean I’m only just starting to watch the second half now and he seems to have got everything right, but I expect him to get those decisions right. It’s like we are praising a dummy half with his own thread for executing a good passing game.

32 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Oh.....that's a bit anti-ref that is 

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah I know. My “not get mentioned” isn’t to be taken literally.

Sure, “ref did well” is a very worthy comment. “He got the big decisions correct” is equally a worthy comment and praise which I would consider to be a fully acceptable statement in a match thread.

What sits strange with me though is a specific need to give an individual referee a thread of his own for doing a good job after the very first game of the season.

I mean I’m only just starting to watch the second half now and he seems to have got everything right, but I expect him to get those decisions right. It’s like we are praising a dummy half with his own thread for executing a good passing game.

Got to the second half 'bit' yet?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Oh it's a doozy .....

But remember not to criticize any officials

Dear oh dear. This thread has become even more bewildering to me. For heaven’s sake.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Oh it's a doozy .....

John D wrote, in his opening post in the FC Vs KR topic, " If it descends into off-topic arguments about anything other than the match in question, or people accusing match officials of being biased or corrupt."

Edited by JohnM

38 minutes ago, JohnM said:

John D wrote, in his opening post in the FC Vs KR topic, " If it descends into off-topic arguments about anything other than the match in question, or people accusing match officials of being biased or corrupt."

Yep I guess criticizing them is different 

Still .....there is a fine line 

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Oh it's a doozy .....

In what way was it a doozy? Sending someone off for kneeing a player in the face? 

18 minutes ago, dkw said:

In what way was it a doozy? Sending someone off for kneeing a player in the face? 

He was being illegally grabbed by the face and potentially eye gouged ....he was trying to get up and play the ball

An I to assume that a player on the ground having his face pulled and potentially eye gouged is supposed to calmly wait until this ends before getting up?

• Like 2

I would agree that Liam Moore had a really good game last night on the whole, I thought he was effective and calm when dealing with situations and his explanations to players in stoppages and on the move was very good. Unfortunatley I had to leave the house with about 15 minutes to go so I didn't get to see the second sending off and only heard about it on Twitter. I watched the video with no sound on and for a moment thought it was the KR player who got the red but then remembered it was a FC player. I think the officials got that one wrong although Ive not heard the explanations but Parcell makes deliberate and forceful contact with the FC players head and there is also the question regarding a gouge. Personally I think that is a red for KR and sit the FC player for ten just to try and say retaliation is not acceptable. Other than that I were really impressed by the officials last night.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, because it would have got lost in the matchday thread.

Referee's get plenty of stick so why shouldn't they get praise when they do a good job, the coaches get praised, the players, the broadcasters, so why not referees?

Should we have a thread with each individual signing? or minute-by-minute details of what certain clubs are up to, or every time someone farts in the NRL?