Sat 17th Feb: SL: Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors KO 5.30pm (Sky/BBC/SL+)

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 18:00

3 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Just catching up on this one and skipped to the incidents on the bbc feed, and if the Watts tackle is a red i have no idea how Wigan aren't down to 11 for the Smith and Ellis incidents, especially the Smith one which I would've thought a red at any point in the last 10 years.

If I remember rightly Adam Keighran was only sin binned for a similar tackle to Smith’s in last season’s Grand Final, which I think falls within your 10 year period.

58 minutes ago, Padge said:

It is not the result it is how it happens, the refs give very detailed explanations of their decisions of how they came to their decision. If you don't like it, tough, its how the game works.

Like getting open hand attack on your eye and a loose knee to the head in the Hull game...it's a joke

• Confused 1

Very proud of the effort last night, particularly defensively.

There was a very different feel in the ground than last year. Most fans stayed until the end to clap the lads off.

Won't comment on the cards

Very enjoyable evening

• Like 4

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Very proud of the effort last night, particularly defensively.

There was a very different feel in the ground than last year. Most fans stayed until the end to clap the lads off.

Won't comment on the cards

Very enjoyable evening

Glad to hear that. Out of interest, what caused that feeling last year and what changed it for this year? Great crowd by the way too.

16 hours ago, Click said:

I completely missed the Kaide Ellis high shot - I also think that should have been a yellow or a red, rather than just a penalty. 

Guess the only real difference is the arm compared to shoulder.

Then look at McIllorum's dismissal for Cats, there is no consistency whatsoever, forgetting next week if justice should prevail the match review panel should be giving penalty notices not only to Ellis but also to Smith. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Damien said:

Glad to hear that. Out of interest, what caused that feeling last year and what changed it for this year? Great crowd by the way too.

I think the fans feel like we have a team of lads who need to justify their spot and therefore show pride and passion in the Jersey. 

Last year was journeymen who didn't appear to care a great deal. 

All we ask for is effort and commitment- we saw more of that in 80 minutes last night than we did all season last year.

• Like 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then look at McIllorum's dismissal for Cats, there is no consistency whatsoever, forgetting next week if justice should prevail the match review panel should be giving penalty notices not only to Ellis but also to Smith. 

What would you like to see happen?

Who would you like to play in the World Club Challenge against the Aussies?

I haven't read all the thread as I know the vast majority of the posts will be about anything other than the actual game play.

I thought Cas did OK for the most part, but their indiscipline and over enthusiasm let them down at times and allowed Wigan to slowly get a grip on the game, even before Watts' red card, Wigan were in control and starting to work Cas over, in the second half, they just applied the finishing touches to a Castleford side that was out on their feet.

I get Cas are going through a bit of rebuild at the moment but while they do have players who will work hard, they don't appear to have much quality where it matters, not sure Richardson will ever be at a level where he isn't an average SL half back, Miller is creative but fairly limited, if Lingard can get the same tune out of Castleford as he did at Batley then they could surprise a few.

Wigan are a machine aren't they? and unlike Wigan teams of the recent past, are good to watch and look to play a pretty open, expansive game when they can.

I thought it was a fairly good contest in poor conditions, reminiscent of old, which should please most people who long for the dark days of old, that's if they stop watching referees!

• Like 2

As for my take on the card incidents, I thought both were right calls, although the Smith one was marginal.

Smith appeared to be trying to drive through Hooley after  a good wrap around tackle low down which went wrong, I don't think there was any intent from Smith to tip Hooley but the momentum ended up tipping him, I also thought, and the referee's comms, appeared to think the same that Hooley did tip himself slightly on the way down, I don't know if it was a deliberate act or a reaction thing though.

As for Watts, the red card was right, players have been told, drilled and educated by referees that the defenders must not make direct contact with the head of a ball carrier, Watts made absolutely no attempt to move his arm to make the tackle, Westerman made contact with the shoulder initially, although, again he made no attempt to wrap around Dupree.

Yes, Dupree was slipping /falling which could have mitigated it slightly but Watts made direct contact to the head and made no attempt to change his body shape/positioning to avoid contact with the head, we all know that's not allowed in 2024, the players and coaches and annoyingly, the commentators should know too, so they shouldn't sound too surprised when a player is sent off for the exact thing the game has been trying to remove from the sport.

Edited by meast
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

What would you like to see happen?

Who would you like to play in the World Club Challenge against the Aussies?

That has nothing to do with it EW, in my opinion those two committed offences that warrant penalty notices and have been delivered by the panel for similar offences in the past and if there is any consistently they will be sited this week.

Let me turn the question on you, because the club are playing in a big game next week, do you think they should be excused?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gates1 said:

"I'm led to believe from the sideline that the recommendation from the video referee was that Harry Smith's was a red card and that on the recommendation of an on-field official it got reduced to a yellow card. Why?"

Interesting post match comments from Lingard, could have been misled like.

Im not sure the point Lingard is trying to make and it seems he is going to have a fun season complaining about match officials when he may be better spending his time coaching his team. The final decision is always with the ref on the pitch when it comes to anything apart from video ref decisions. For other decisions like with linesman decisions the ref can either choose to go with the advice or against it.

15 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I like Smith he does the basics very well and his kicking has improved.He is not a dirty player who would go out to injure an opponent.But he raised the Cas players legs above horizontal causing him to go head first into the turf( luckily very soft).He could have released the legs but kept hold putting the Cas player into a dangerous position.I feared for his neck rather than a serious head injury .

Agree with this. I think Smith is slightly unlucky as its one of those momentum tackles but its the fact he didnt release that would have me giving it as a red rather than a yellow. I think the ref got the Ellis decision right and it is not really comparable with the Watts sending off but having watched the slow motion replay of that I still think it should have been 2 cards, Westerman was at the very least reckless and made contact with the Wigan players head where as Watts is as clear a red card as you will see no matter what rules we are playing to. The reaction from the cas coaching staff is the reason I think they are going to have a lot of problems this season with their discipline.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

That has nothing to do with it EW, in my opinion those two committed offences that warrant penalty notices and have been delivered by the panel for similar offences in the past and if there is any consistently they will be sited this week.

Let me turn the question on you, because the club are playing in a big game next week, do you think they should be excused?

I think they should have a chance to play. And I think the benefits to the entire NH game of Smith playing a part in a SL win would be so considerable as to justify “excusing” them. 

What is your view? Would you like to see them play? More generally, would you like to see a Wigan win? 

Hate to say it on the main forum but...

RU are a season ahead in terms of 'new' interpretations/rules regards 'player safety' and last season they struggled to deal with it. This season they're dealing with it better.

I expect RL to have a similar path in that respect.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

41 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Hate to say it on the main forum but...

RU are a season ahead in terms of 'new' interpretations/rules regards 'player safety' and last season they struggled to deal with it. This season they're dealing with it better.

I expect RL to have a similar path in that respect.

Unfortunatley with them trialing the main new rules at amateur level first, the top league may adjust to the new interpretations this season but then we will see the same again next season as the new lower tackle height rules are brought in to the pro game. Strange them bringing it in staggered like they have done.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Unfortunatley with them trialing the main new rules at amateur level first, the top league may adjust to the new interpretations this season but then we will see the same again next season as the new lower tackle height rules are brought in to the pro game. Strange them bringing it in staggered like they have done.

Only thing they can do is adjust this season with next season also in mind?

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

18 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think they should have a chance to play. And I think the benefits to the entire NH game of Smith playing a part in a SL win would be so considerable as to justify “excusing” them. 

What is your view? Would you like to see them play? More generally, would you like to see a Wigan win? 

I have seen many player's over the 60 odd years I have been watching this game who mave missed big games even tours because they have been suspended because of misdemeanors they have committed, a crime is a crime and should be treated that way whatever the circumstance.

I am also in a way relieved that there is none of the absolutely abhorrent use of reserve team games available to 'excuse' players has as been utilised in the very recent past.

But the two players in question have not recieved any further punishment as of yet, and I think the panel will most probably take your view on it, then they will set a precedent and will have to excuse any further actions such as these going forward, will that be a good way to enforce these rulings?

Have you watched the different interpretations of two refs, one not even awarding a free kick against Ellis and the McIllorum sending off, what do you think of that?

Would I like to see a Wigan win, I want to watch a good contest, you can't be against Aussie nationals you like most other teams over here you play to the max of 7 in your team.

Edited by Harry Stottle