Sunday 25th Feb: CC R4: Swinton Lions V Oldham: KO 6:00pm, Heywood Road, Sale.

Bedford Roughyed

forget swinton its now york.

i would play astley at scrum half thats his position.

while on loan at featherstone he was brilliant.

it was only when he was recalled by wigan that feafherstone dropped of.

get some speed in the middle.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

LEWIS HALL — Swinton Lions RLFC

Lewis Charnock - Wikipedia

Different players, my friend...or one hell of a makeover!!

That's what I thought. But this is from the game report on the Oldham FB page.

And after just one Oldham mistake – a high shot on Abram – Alan Kilshaw’s men took full advantage when a George Roby grubber kick was pounced on by another former Oldham man, Lewis Hall – formerly Charnock

2 hours ago, Robert the Builder said:

Please, when you find the statistics, can you post them here? Interested to see the penalty count and set restarts. I think you may be surprised by what you unearth! 😉

My point was the referee was inconsistent  both ways. We are seeing a lot of that this season. 

Awful display from us but full credit to Swinton. Dominated from start to finish. Patton and Hall outstanding and the rest put in a great team performance.

One of my worries with our team is our lack pace especially when we go behind. Astley is lightning but is really struggling to get involved in the game. The rest of our team are good players but are very one paced and when we need to change the game we look really average. Would bring Tyrer in on the wing as I'm not a fan of Johnson. Need more pace at 7 and id be tempted to put Astley there and move O' Keefe to full back.

Massive game at York and a chance to atone for a very poor display.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

My point was the referee was inconsistent  both ways. We are seeing a lot of that this season. 

Ref had a pretty good game considering he was about 11 years old and that as  a Swinton fan seeing us penalised twice as much as Oldham takes some saying 

Thought Kopzak deserved at least a yellow for his shoulder charge and hurt himself in the process. 

Other than that there were few contentious issues and I'm struggling to see many inconsistencies watching it back today

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tandle said:

forget swinton its now york.

get some speed in the middle.

Like you say Astley scrum half and i would put paga at full back and tyrer on the wing instead of Johnson 🤔

• Like 1

Stats-

Astley-11 tackles.2 misses. 11 carries=51m

Agoro-3 tackles. 3 misses. 2 tackle breaks. 11 carries=69m

O'Keefe-12 tackles. 2 misses. 9 carries=58m

Turner-3 tackles. one miss.one offload. 2 tackle breaks.  11 carries=120m

Ja Johnson-2 tackles. one miss. one clean break. 7 carries=45m

Craven-14 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle break. one clean break. 5 carries=40m

Ellis-15 tackles. 3 misses. one try assist. 5 carries=26m

Farnworth-26 tackles. one miss.one tackle break. 7 carries=44m

Wildie-57 tackles. one miss.  one tackle break. one try assist. 5 carries=34m

J Chapelhow-37 tackles. one miss. one tackle break. 8 carries=59m

Wardle-15 tackles. one miss. one tackle break. 3 carries=17m

Lawton-31 tackles. 6 misses. 2 tackle breaks. 13 carries=67m

Taylor-34 tackles. one offload. 6 carries=18m

subs

Kopzcak-14 tackles. one tackle break. 9 carries=80m

Moran-21 tackles. 2 misses. 2 tackle breaks. 11 carries=67m

Jo Johnson-19 tackles. one miss. 10 carries=43m

T Chapelhow-37 tackles. 2 tackle breaks. one clean break. 13 carries=73m

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2024 at 11:44, Rob95 said:

Yea likewise can't disagree with much of this ,other than would change the "Yes we will walk " to "We should walk league one with our budget but sport being sport there is no certainty ".  Although the bookies seem to think we are 😀

Not convinced so far that our dummy half's are an upgrade , but yes I did rate our previous pairing , but the past is the past we move on ,as have they and other former players . 

As others have commented I think the result is a blessing in disguise , Swinton deserved the win and we were never going to win the Challenge Cup , getting out of League one is the priority. 
It may also be the wake up call that pushes us on in the 1895 cup to get to a final , it will still be hard to get there but at least we aren't on Wakey's side of the draw who are by far the favourites. 

WRT concerned about Toulouse and Wakey , with the IMG system in place I think there are more teams to add to the list Bradford, York , Sheffield and maybe Doncaster , probably others too , 4 cities there that regardless of our budget could score higher than us and prevent any progression to the top table in the future.

I feel we should be beating everyone apart from Toulouse and Wakefield with our budget. But I will never disrespect other clubs, players and  former players like some of our fan base and board have on social media. I seen Luke Nelmes was on the end of some abuse last week despite years of loyal service and at times carrying our small pack. I will clap and respect any player who had pulled on our jersey and given 100%. 

Totally agree regarding the dummy half role, we made 34m running meters at the weekend with arguably one of the biggest and best packs outside of super league. Would of loved to of seen last years dummy half’s with this years pack.

Widnes had a great result at the weekend against Bradford despite being much weaker this year on paper, should we be concerned ? 

On 26/02/2024 at 15:11, sheddingswasus said:

Oh sorry, I thought there was a tinge of sour grapes. Anyhow, I couldn’t find the set restart stats but I found the penalty count. It was 7 to swinton and 14 to Oldham. Hope that clears that up. Sorry about the gloomy floodlights and the bright screen though. (Same for both sides maybe?)

On 26/02/2024 at 12:53, tandle said:

That last bit isn't correct. Astley only started for Fev twice and played once off the bench. He went ok in a couple of wide-margin wins over Whitehaven and Swinton and then struggled when Fev lost at Halifax and was not selected again. That said, I think you're probably right about half back being his position.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/6irvGSKyAaAtbHag/

Hmmm. This reel came up  on my fb page. I don't know whether there was a penalty awarded. Looks high to me. Nb: you may have copy link to see it.

Hall/charnock high tackle on Elijah Taylor close to the line. Some comments reckon it was a penalty try.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot