MRP Minutes

And this is the summary (you’ll still need a packet of biscuits)

Charges arising from Round One of the Betfred Super League season, following Monday’s meeting of the RFL’s Match Review Panel, are summarised below.

For offences graded A-D, recommended punishments are included – with players and their clubs able to challenge at an Operational Rules Tribunal on Tuesday evening.

For charges of Grade E and F, the player is required to appear at an ORT on Tuesday evening.

Robert Hicks, the RFL’s Director of Operations and Legal, said: “As we have outlined in various forums in the build-up to the Betfred Super League season, there have been a number of changes to the Head Contact Sanctioning Framework for 2024 – and Match Officials and the Match Review Panel share the responsibility for implementing these changes.

“The number of yellow and red cards shown in the opening round of the Betfred Super League has already become a talking point, and doubtless the number of charges arising from the MRP meeting will be similar – but it is important to provide some context.

“Of the 13 cards shown, 10 of the incidents would have led to a card being shown under the framework that applied in 2023.

“One area which has made a difference is in head on head contact, and the responsibility of attacking and tackling players in this area.

“Just as the sport should be grateful to the commitment of Match Officials and the MRP in implementing change at such a pivotal period for the sport, we also reiterate our gratitude to clubs, coaches and players for their positive approach over recent months.

“It was a highly successful opening round of Betfred Super League fixtures, and it is right that the focus is already turning to the second round of matches, and also the Betfred World Club Challenge.”

Match officials appointments for the Betfred World Club Challenge will be confirmed on Tuesday morning.

The Wigan Warriors scrum half Harry Smith will be available to play in that game after the dangerous throw/lift charge for which he was sin-binned at Castleford on Saturday was graded as B. This was because the unnatural actions of the tackled player significantly contributed to the outcome of the tackle.

Charges: 

• Herman Ese’Ese (Hull FC) – Grade D Head Contact – 2 Match Penalty Notice & £250 Fine
  • Jayden Okunbor (Hull FC) – Grade B Dangerous Contact - £250 Fine
  • Franklin Pele (Hull FC) – Grade E Head Contact – Refer to Tribunal
  • Matt Parcell (Hull KR) – Grade B Other Contrary Behaviour – 1 Match Penalty Notice
  • Ligi Sao (Hull FC) – Grade D Other Contrary Behaviour – 3 Match Penalty Notice & £250 Fine
  • Tom Amone (Leigh Leopards) – Grade C Head Contact – 2 Match Penalty Notice
  • Jack Hughes (Leigh Leopards) – Grade B Dangerous Contact - £250 Fine
  • Ricky Leutele (Leigh Leopards) – Grade B Head Contact – 1 Match Penalty Notice
  • Zak Hardaker (Leigh Leopards) – Grade B Dangerous Contact - £250 Fine
  • Ryan Brierley (Salford Red Devils) – Grade C Head Contact – 1 Match Penalty Notice
  • Charbel Tasipale (Castleford Tigers) – Grade C Head Contact – 1 Match Penalty Notice
  • Harry Smith (Wigan Warriors) – Grade B Dangerous Throw/Lift - £250 Fine
  • Liam Watts (Castleford Tigers) – Grade E Head Contact – Refer to Tribunal
  • Michael McIlorum (Catalans Dragons) – Grade E Head Contact – Refer to Tribunal
  • Jordan Crowther (Warrington Wolves) – Grade C Other Contrary Behaviour – 1 Match Penalty Notice
  • Paul Seguier (Catalans Dragons) – Grade D Head Contact – 2 Match Penalty Notice and £250 Fine

I still don’t get how you can get all the way up to a C and still only get one game - but that’s probably a different discussion. That’s what the clubs wanted

Bit surprised with the gradings on some of those incidents, like the crowther one, but I’m no expert. All it’s needs to be is consistent going forward which has always been the challenge with new interpretations 

I think we’ll see most of these challenged tomorrow.

imo, the Esse Ese 2 match ban is not the way to go.  Grounds are wet, slippery and just a little good footwork by the ball carrier can mean defender mistakes.  Issues like this need consideration.

Just now, Spidey said:

I still don’t get how you can get all the way up to a C and still only get one game - but that’s probably a different discussion. That’s what the clubs wanted

Bit surprised with the gradings on some of those incidents, like the crowther one, but I’m no expert. All it’s needs to be is consistent going forward which has always been the challenge with new interpretations 

Consistency is key but does feel lacking to be honest.

A Huddersfield fan posted the below on twitter and i think it shows a demonstrable lack of consistency when Luke Yates got a 3 match ban for lifting into a dangerous position where the player ends up on his back vs Harry Smith getting 0 games for a player than lands on his head.

Also, this is what Tom Amone apparently got 2 games for...

13 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The Wigan Warriors scrum half Harry Smith will be available to play in that game after the dangerous throw/lift charge for which he was sin-binned at Castleford on Saturday was graded as B. This was because the unnatural actions of the tackled player significantly contributed to the outcome of the tackle.

This season might have peaked already with this comment.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

Consistency is key but does feel lacking to be honest.

A Huddersfield fan posted the below on twitter and i think it shows a demonstrable lack of consistency when Luke Yates got a 3 match ban for lifting into a dangerous position where the player ends up on his back vs Harry Smith getting 0 games for a player than lands on his head.

Also, this is what Tom Amone apparently got 2 games for...

i'm not quite sure what the cas player did there to cause any problems for himself.

• Like 1

While I was ok with Liam Watts seeing red at the weekend (although I felt that Westerman was as much to blame), a possible 4 to 6 match ban for a Grade E does feel a little excessive.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Im glad they acknowledged that it was a mistake in not showing Parcell a red card. Showing a zero tollerance level to actions that are designed to provoke a reaction sets a good example early in the season. Not too many surprises in there although for me Harry Smith should have been a ban because of his actions rather than laying some of the blame at the door of the attacker. His action is a lift and at the very least a moderate drive where it should have been a lift and release. The fact he didn't release and got no punishment could mean this tackle is used as an example for players later down the line when they try and get off charges.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While I was ok with Liam Watts seeing red at the weekend (although I felt that Westerman was as much to blame), a possible 4 to 6 match ban for a Grade E does feel a little excessive.

I agree it feels high, but then you get grade c and only 1 match, so E isn't as high as it seems maybe. 

I must admit to not having sympathy for these big forwards who do not bend any part of their body to make a tackle and then feign innocence when their shoulder ends up in the players face. 

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im glad they acknowledged that it was a mistake in not showing Parcell a red card. Showing a zero tollerance level to actions that are designed to provoke a reaction sets a good example early in the season. Not too many surprises in there although for me Harry Smith should have been a ban because of his actions rather than laying some of the blame at the door of the attacker. His action is a lift and at the very least a moderate drive where it should have been a lift and release. The fact he didn't release and got no punishment could mean this tackle is used as an example for players later down the line when they try and get off charges.

I’m not a Wigan fan but I would prefer him in the team for the WCC than banned.

Double standards I know.😎

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

i'm not quite sure what the cas player did there to cause any problems for himself.

Been upended like that Im sure the last thing on his mind was putting himself in a position where we could possibly have had another Alex McKinnon type situation on our hands. MRP showing a lack of common sense on this incident in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Lowdesert said:

I’m not a Wigan fan but I would prefer him in the team for the WCC than banned.

Double standards I know.😎

Aye, purely for the WCC I'm happy with no ban, but in reality, it was a clear red and should have been a serious ban for mine. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Wait until they take Watts’ previous over the last couple of seasons.  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I know and he’s got a really clean record aswell ;-)

From a Hull POV, it's pretty much what I was expecting. My only complaint really is that Parcell only gets 1 match and Sao gets 3. Sao shouldn't have lashed out the way he did, but Purcell was the instigator and that feels disproportionate to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, purely for the WCC I'm happy with no ban, but in reality, it was a clear red and should have been a serious ban for mine. 

Why no just make bans for domestic competitions only? Would save then having to manufacture unusually low/no bans whenever internationals/wcc are coming up

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

Warrington will be gutted with all those Hull players missing as their replacements must be better

I know this is a little bit tongue in cheek but I'm actually looking forward to seeing a few of the youngsters get a go on Friday. Its a great chance for them to make a case for regular selection.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Why no just make bans for domestic competitions only? Would save then having to manufacture unusually low/no bans whenever internationals/wcc are coming up

We should do the same with criminal punishments. A serial killer should serve life in jail, except for when he’s planning to travel internationally each year for his two week break in Orlando. 😁

Edited by Fly-By-TheWire
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, MZH said:

I know this is a little bit tongue in cheek but I'm actually looking forward to seeing a few of the youngsters get a go on Friday. Its a great chance for them to make a case for regular selection.

I agree. They have nothing to lose and if they perform well then like you say they will get a decent run in the team

9 minutes ago, Fly-By-TheWire said:

We should do the same with criminal punishments. A serial killer should serve life in jail, except for when he’s planning to travel internationally each year for his two week break in Orlando. 😁

Or, rather than your frankly nonsensical comparison, we could just follow the same precedent set in world football where domestic bans don't carry to uefa competitions?

• Like 2