Fri 23rd Feb: SL: London Broncos v Catalans Dragons KO 8pm (Sky/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/02/24 at 20:30

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

On the sponsorship front though having London back is brilliant for the game. 

London don't even have a shirt sponsor.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

They signed one on Wednesday i am talking about the overall picture 

If that is true.. Then about damn time.

I got an email earlier in the week explaining that there is still a delay for people that bought this seasons shirt because they don't want to put it out without all the appropriate sponsors, which I understand, but it should have been resolved at least a month ago. 

Interesting to see who this main shirt sponsor is. 

8 hours ago, Click said:

If that is true.. Then about damn time.

I got an email earlier in the week explaining that there is still a delay for people that bought this seasons shirt because they don't want to put it out without all the appropriate sponsors, which I understand, but it should have been resolved at least a month ago. 

Interesting to see who this main shirt sponsor is. 

They have worked extremely hard to find one and have been  unlucky with 2 major companies backing out at the last minute due to budget cuts.

I know how hard it is to find major sponsors willing to put in decent amounts,a few months ago (I am obviously not naming them or the club) we had lined up a fantastic blue chip sponsor for a major SL club only for the deal to evaporate at the last minute with a change of mind.

There is a sweet spot of around 30/40/50K at present that companies seem to be comfortable with which can buy you some LED advertising VIP maybe a sleeve shorts or back of shirt sponsorship however when it gets to 100/200/300 grand for a front of shirt it's tough at present.

Hopefully as the economy gets better things will improve overall at present the clubs do a pretty damm good job.

Paul

• Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 20:15, gingerjon said:

Ten minutes gone. One way traffic.

Catalans score their second, having had another chalked off.

But the chalked off one was never even close to being a try - if a touch judge cannot see a known on when they are in front of the play they should not do the job- not a TMO moment and never an on field try decision - went on to be several more TMO moments 

On 23/02/2024 at 20:55, THE RED ROOSTER said:

This game could blow out badly in the last 20 minutes as the Broncos have done a ton of defending in the first half.

There is no pace and guile in the attack so while they need a playmaker. Three are some immediate changes that could ge made.

Let's start  by playing some of the reserve graders from the HAC. Put Morgan Jackson at fullback in the absence of Alex Walker putting Oli Leyland back to his normal position. Put Gideon Boafo on the wing as he is better than the current options and play Jenson Monk in the forwards.

OK this might make no difference to the outcome but the side would have.more pace and a full back who is comfortable under the high ball.

And if Sniffer Rea us there get your contacts book out Tony and rustle up a player or two from the ex-Bronco network down under.

I’m not sure why you suggest Leyland is not comfortable under the high ball but do agree that need some more pace and attacking option in the half so Leyland for meadows as he brings threat to the defence line with his ability to intercept - Toulouse last year and fearhestone the year before, and works well with Lovelle so that would make sense - not sure about the others mentioned but having seen boafa at Newcastle he has pace but not sure of his defence or ball skills and think leeshaw is a good signing

6 minutes ago, watcherofRL said:

But the chalked off one was never even close to being a try 

It wasn't. It was silly it went up. I wrote it that way to show that Catalans were strolling to an easy victory.

An easy victory they then continued to stroll to.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, Click said:

Not sure what context you're trying to add here?

Context for Click...

A large group of Wimbledon AFC supporters fought passionately for decades to return to playing locally after restarting their club from the bottom rungs. This in the aftermath of setting up the MK Dons franchise. 

Such admirable fervour results in a 7,600 average in Wimbledon presently. 

For the Broncos to simultaneously get 5k in their second season, in a match against a French club (with presumably low travelling support), suggests a glimmer of hope for RL in London. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not good too much to add on the match itself, but an enjoyable evening.

Spoke to Waine who thinks he's more weeks than months away from a return, but also saw Bienek in a fairly bulky cast around his foot, ankle & lower leg, so doubt he's back anytime soon. Natoli said he's about two months.

11 hours ago, watcherofRL said:

I’m not sure why you suggest Leyland is not comfortable under the high ball but do agree that need some more pace and attacking option in the half so Leyland for meadows as he brings threat to the defence line with his ability to intercept - Toulouse last year and fearhestone the year before, and works well with Lovelle so that would make sense - not sure about the others mentioned but having seen boafa at Newcastle he has pace but not sure of his defence or ball skills and think leeshaw is a good signing

I probably did not explain myself correctly, Oli Leyland is not the problem when it comes to the high ball, Though his height is not ideal for a fullback. Morgan Jackson had a god game at the HAC and was secure in wet conditions under the high ball. We are agreed Oli Leyland is better off in Meadows position.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

13 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

They have worked extremely hard to find one and have been  unlucky with 2 major companies backing out at the last minute due to budget cuts.

I know how hard it is to find major sponsors willing to put in decent amounts,a few months ago (I am obviously not naming them or the club) we had lined up a fantastic blue chip sponsor for a major SL club only for the deal to evaporate at the last minute with a change of mind.

There is a sweet spot of around 30/40/50K at present that companies seem to be comfortable with which can buy you some LED advertising VIP maybe a sleeve shorts or back of shirt sponsorship however when it gets to 100/200/300 grand for a front of shirt it's tough at present.

Hopefully as the economy gets better things will improve overall at present the clubs do a pretty damm good job.

Paul

If I won the lottery and offered the 100/200/300 grand or whatever it is....

Could I just out my name on the front? 

Serious question (in the sense I want to know rather than I would?

On 23/02/2024 at 23:50, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sad to say i agree men against boys tonight Broncos are at best a mid table championship side.

And in fairness I'll take that 

This season is utterly utterly pointless (potentially literally)

A competitive season in the Champ I'd much prefer ....still have some bigger fixtures like Bradford and Widnes to look forward to 

Just had a look at the Broncos website for the first time in a very long while. How long has Jack Hughes, the owner's son, been listed in the squad? Wasn't he a union player?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed the game on Friday, despite London being totally outplayed.  There was a great crowd, good atmosphere, great stadium.  Easy to get to (30 mins on northern line from Euston to Tooting Broadway, then 15 minute walk).  Really recommend a game to anyone in the SE, i'll definitely be going again this year whenever possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/02/2024 at 20:55, THE RED ROOSTER said:

This game could blow out badly in the last 20 minutes as the Broncos have done a ton of defending in the first half.

There is no pace and guile in the attack so while they need a playmaker. Three are some immediate changes that could ge made.

Let's start  by playing some of the reserve graders from the HAC. Put Morgan Jackson at fullback in the absence of Alex Walker putting Oli Leyland back to his normal position. Put Gideon Boafo on the wing as he is better than the current options and play Jenson Monk in the forwards.

OK this might make no difference to the outcome but the side would have.more pace and a full back who is comfortable under the high ball.

And if Sniffer Rea us there get your contacts book out Tony and rustle up a player or two from the ex-Bronco network down under.

boafo  maybe quick, but not a great defender...and we've too many of them    other two..not yet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Just had a look at the Broncos website for the first time in a very long while. How long has Jack Hughes, the owner's son, been listed in the squad? Wasn't he a union player?

His linkedin (sorry about that) says since June 2023.

Before that Bedford Blues RU and before that Northampton RU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

He's been in the 21 throughout preseason. Think he may have got a game as well, but can't recall.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

.... off in Meadows position.

I have never known Meadows position, he is awful, a turnstile in defence and a poor mans Lee Gakell in attack. I would begrudge giving him the water to run on.