Match thread: Championship Round 3. Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls. Sunday 7th April 2024.

Big miss on Springer, with Albert seemingly still getting up to speed, he's our only prop that can bust a tackle and make a break. I hope Wallace puts in more effort that he did in the friendly he appeared in, he looked incredibly disinterested that day.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Actually if that happens I don't know how we fit Gorman in. Not sure how we'll line up tbh.

I think we need  a bit of common sense P H l obviously Gorman will be in for his goalkicking so looking at the 17 from last week for me Gorman would replace Wacokecoke on the wing Josh would replace Gorman in Centre Wellington would start for Gadwin and Brad for Josh in backrow and on the bench the tuther three robins 

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

21-man squad has been posted on RFL website. The big blow - no Springer. That's huge, clearly his hamstring is still an issue.

On the plus side Day is included - looks like his ban counted last week after all because it came in a Challenge Cup game - and Bussey is included too, though whether he's ready to resume remains to be seen. 4 Hull KR DR players are included (Aydin, Gorman, Tennison and Wallace) which suggests Bussey probably isn't ready yet. Still no Tanner or Massey, Yei is suspended, so along with Springer that's 4 of the middles we might have expetced to feature in the 17 unavailable, along with fringe middles Roberts and Arnold, which explains the need for reinforcements on DR.

If Wallace is going to play that might mean Hardcastle reverting to right centre which might help shore up that side defensively. My guess at the 4 to miss out might be Farrar, Wacokecoke, Bussey and Tomlinson, but that's a total guess.

https://www.rugby-league.com/match-centre/match-preview/2266890

No Day on this one unless I am missing something.

6 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/match-centre/match-preview/2266890

No Day on this one unless I am missing something.

Yep, they've changed that since it was first uploaded. Charlie Harris wasn't included but is now, and it's very unlikely he makes the 17.

Explains the inclusion of Wallace anyway.

This is going to boil down to who adapts to their missing players best.
Looking at absentees from both teams who would be contenders for the 17:
Fev: Springer, Tanner, Massey, Yei, Day, Lacans (and maybe Bussey)
Bradford: Gaskell, Taufua, Blackmore, Lawrence, Scurr, Johnson.

31 minutes ago, POR said:

I think we need  a bit of common sense P H l obviously Gorman will be in for his goalkicking so looking at the 17 from last week for me Gorman would replace Wacokecoke on the wing Josh would replace Gorman in Centre Wellington would start for Gadwin and Brad for Josh in backrow and on the bench the tuther three robins 

Gorman going to the wing is certainly one possibility I'd considered, but we could stick with Hardcastle at back row, Wynne on the wing and one of Wallace or England on the bench (and the other starting).

I prefer Albert coming off the bench as his offloading game tends to be a bit more approriate once the game has opened up a bit, but he might be pressed into starting again with Springer absent.

Presumably Farrar, Harris and at least one of Wacokecoke or Wynne (or possibly both) will miss out, with the final spot depending on whether Bussey is considered ready to play.

Can't call this one (which is what you want in a game) Ford certainly looks to be getting a tune out of your side with some great performances. Expect our side to line up like below. 

McGowan
Myers 
Arundel
Gill
Carr
Davies 
Lilley
D. Smith
Souter 
Doro
Butler
Fulton
Hallas

Ott
Rogers
Appo
Wilson

Edited by Bull Mania

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

prefer Albert coming off the bench as his offloading game tends to be a bit more approriate once the game has opened up a bit, but he might be pressed into starting again with Springer absent.

If we go with Wellington of the bench easy solution start with Tennison  who according to the Robins is a  towering prop able to punch holes through the middle of opposition,

Just now, POR said:

If we go with Wellington of the bench easy solution start with Tennison  who according to the Robins is a  towering prop able to punch holes through the middle of opposition,

I've seen excerpts of him playing a few times, he is VERY tall and likely to be a very good player in time when he fills out, he's still a bit on the skinny side but could be a SL star in a couple of years.

It seems throw the cards in the air and see where they land

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Thought they may have rested Manoa this week, but it looks like they are pairing him with Minikin.

There are a few playing in different positions so we will see if that how it pans out in reality.

I can understand that, having an experienced centre inside a young winger. The thing is it’s not much to move them back if it’s not working.

All the right (well, expected) players, just not necessarily in the right positions.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

45 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

I don't agree with the position swaps. For me, your best players play in their best positions, then you fill in the gaps. If Aekins is in the side he should be fullback, if Jones is in the side, he should be hooker.

Let's see how they line up. There's no obligation to list players in their starting positions. When we played Gaz Gale in the centre in the CC game against Wakefield we listed him on the wing in the line-up.

• Like 1

Sorry to say this but that was painfull to watch maybe we'v been spoilt the last few years let's hope when we get a full squad to pick from the games will be easyer to watch

21 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

If we're offered Wallace and Aydin again can we kindly refuse?

The crowd looked more then i expected, Bulls more then usual as well.

Good job we were playing that Bradford side today otherwise we could have been humiliated. Too slow at play the ball leading to one man stuff. Even when they were down to twelve men and camped on their line we were trying the one man stuff. The same team spirit shown in previous weeks wasn't there. However it's what it is with the injuries and suspensions. We will have to get used to not being one of the big guns anymore.

• Like 1

Well, Bradford obviously did their homework on Manoa. He cost 2 tries and was bundled into touch for the scrum 10 yards out. 

It's going to be a long hard watch this season unless Fordy sorts it out.

6 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Bad referee again. Decisions against us but only now and again against them

The referee had very little impact on the outcome. We were slow. Our pack got bullied and gave the backs absolutely nothing to work off of.

• Like 3