Cian and Ike

Tried quoting Brookie, but the threads been locked. Cian Tyrer, who you had on loan last week, returned to the yeds and scored a double hat trick. The last player to do that for Oldham was the great Ike Southward in 1960. Don't know what you feed em up there but it's working wonders for us.

Ā 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Tried quoting Brookie, but the threads been locked. Cian Tyrer, who you had on loan last week, returned to the yeds and scored a double hat trick. The last player to do that for Oldham was the great Ike Southward in 1960. Don't know what you feed em up there but it's working wonders for us.

Ā 

Jam šŸ˜‰

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I remember seeing a documentary about Town with Ike and Andy Key being interviewed and they asked Ike where he got his speed from. In his own inimitable fashion he said "I had 3 owlder brothers, so I ran to git yam frae school afor them so I'd git fed frae t'fust pan o' chips".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Iā€™m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Some of Ike's family came to one of our games last year to receive his Oldham Heritage Certificate, was lovely to meet them. I believe he was our record signing from Town at the time & then we sold him back to you 2 years later for our record sale!

Edited by Jimmy DoNut
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

Some of Ike's family came to one of our games last year to receive his Oldham Heritage Certificate, was lovely to meet them. I believe he was our record signing from Town at the time & then we sold him back to you 2 years later for our record sale!

Wasnt it about Ā£1k difference?

• Like 1

According to Joe Hollidays book on the Town , we sold him to Oldham for Ā£10,650 to set a world record .Ā  We then paid Oldham Ā£11,002.10sĀ  , which was 50 shillings more than St Helens had paid Wigan for Mick Sullivan , to once again set the world record .

• Like 3

On 10/04/2024 at 19:16, Joe Aitcheson said:

Ike once told me that the fee was Ā£11,000 plus the price of a bottle of whisky ( hence Ā£2 and 10 shillings) to create a new world recordā€¦ chairman Tomā€™s idea!

Over Ā£210,000 in todays money!

Boxers 30k move to Whitehaven in 1980 would be worth over Ā£120,000 todayĀ 

we will never see those type of deals in RL again !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Brookie said:

Tyrer has just scored another 4 tries against Cornwall

No player in the long history of Oldham RLFC (1876 - ) has ever scored 10 tries in 2 games before. Cian beat Joe Ferguson's record of 9 set in 1922, over a century ago.Ā 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

No player in the long history of Oldham RLFC (1876 - ) has ever scored 10 tries in 2 games before. Cian beat Joe Ferguson's record of 9 set in 1922, over a century ago.Ā 

Great achievement, but letā€™s all remember the quality of the league we are playing in. Ike Southward would be scoring for fun. šŸ‘

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

a player with local connections, who I believe played for Maryport and might have been the first captain of Gt Britain RL !Ā  Ā - small world eh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Great achievement, but letā€™s all remember the quality of the league we are playing in. Ike Southward would be scoring for fun. šŸ‘

Aye, and lets not forget that the corner flag was "in touch" back then - half the tries scored by wingers today would have been disallowed back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

a player with local connections, who I believe played for Maryport and might have been the first captain of Gt Britain RL !Ā  Ā - small world eh

Yes he was from Elbra.

22 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Aye, and lets not forget that the corner flag was "in touch" back then - half the tries scored by wingers today would have been disallowed back then.

The Warrington corner flag try yesterday was insane, he was virtually sitting in the front row of the stand when he grounded it. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ‘šŸ‘

• Like 1