Player's weights ....would/could this be said about female players?

Watching this (well worth watching as a show by the way....lots to like not least Danica!)

Some quite open criticism of Shuster's 'fitness' and also openly critical of being too heavy 

Personally I think it's fine but....

Would they / could they do this of a WNRL  or WSL player? 

Plenty of ex sportsmen have admitted eating disorders (Freddie Flintoff) etc so it is not just a female issue 

Again personally I think if you choose professional sport then everything of your lifestyle that affects your performance is up for debate ...be it smoking, boozing, weight, late nights etc 

I think if you have chosen to play a sport where physical fitness and strength/speed makes you a better player.

And.

You have ambition to be either a professional player or reach the top of your sport.

Then.

You cannot really complain if you are challenged for not putting the work in to reach that level.

For as long as I have been playing and watching, the fitter teams or players are then the better they are. So if you don't put in the required effort then you are not doing yourself justice.

I stress that this view is for the elite levels in the sport, those playing the community game can and should be treated and spoken of differently. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It all very much depends on framing and why the comment is being made.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just because a woman is a professional athlete, it shouldn’t mean we don’t act gentlemanly.

As for Schuster… well he’s just a fat, lazy illegitimate child.

Edited by Sports Prophet

Guess it depends on the player.

Scott Taylor always looked like he was carrying extra timber. I loved his application and attitude at Salford on loan. He never let anyone down.

What was that half back called at Widnes built like a little barrel, Widnes fans had mixed feelings about him.

• Like 1

I don't get the angle of the original post. It's got nothing to do with whether it would be acceptable to say the same about women. 

I don't necessary think it's right to be so critical about someone's weight as players in all sports are different sizes  however if it affects their performances it's perhaps a legitimate concern.  

On 11/04/2024 at 13:45, RigbyLuger said:

Depends on who you believe are "professional" and whether that makes a difference. Also lack of "fitness" does not always equal "fatness."

If you listen to the podcast/video they say both (or Joey dies) ...Joey explicitly talks about his weight (talks kilo too)

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just because a woman is a professional athlete, it shouldn’t mean we don’t act gentlemanly.

As for Schuster… well he’s just a fat, lazy illegitimate child.

Ha ha...well personally agree a d I think he's fat for a pro RL player....

It opens up a different thing if women involved 

18 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I don't get the angle of the original post. It's got nothing to do with whether it would be acceptable to say the same about women. 

I don't necessary think it's right to be so critical about someone's weight as players in all sports are different sizes  however if it affects their performances it's perhaps a legitimate concern.  

The angle is that Joey's comments have not met with any kind of backlash (that I know of) 

If he or someone else said exactly the same thing in exactly the same way about a similarly overweight professional female RL ....would it be treated the same way?

5 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Scott Taylor always looked like he was carrying extra timber. I loved his application and attitude at Salford on loan. He never let anyone down.

What was that half back called at Widnes built like a little barrel, Widnes fans had mixed feelings about him.

What, you mean some Widnes fans thought he was firkin great and some thought he was firkin useless?

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It all very much depends on framing and why the comment is being made.

True. I think this about Dave Taylor went too far.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Craigie?  Cracking player.