And then there was one

I went to a very entertaining and enjoyable  game at Mayfield Sport Centre yesterday NCL Premiership Rochdale Mayfield V Egremont Rangers, To my surprise the match was played without Touch Judges, just a ref (with a headcam) who had a good game as it turns out. 

RFL these young lads deserve better than this, the Amateur game is the lifeblood of RL, please help these Clubs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Wonder why the sport is having trouble with numbers of match officials available.

It's almost as if years and years of fans hurling abuse and calling into question the integrity of referees wasn't a good way of enticing people into the roles.

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

It's almost as if years and years of fans hurling abuse and calling into question the integrity of referees wasn't a good way of enticing people into the roles.

True...but I'm sure there are some posters on here who can make good refs and touch judges.

There's two issues at play in my opinion:

1. The severe challenges associated with actually getting a match official course booked at a date, time and venue that suits enough people. The RFL resources to do this are woefully low.

2. The spectre of giving up time to go and be told by everyone else who won't pick up a whistle that you are corrupt, blind or incapable is not one that many folk choose these days.

On both counts, a great shame.

• Like 2

Hasnt your second point always been the case though….I am not saying its right, but we have always managed to get enough folks to do the job in the past. Ive watched rugby league for nigh on 60 years and had a relative who was a touch judge. I dont think verbal abuse of officials is noticeably worse now than in years gone by. Whether they also get on line abuse is another matter.

7 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Hasnt your second point always been the case though….I am not saying its right, but we have always managed to get enough folks to do the job in the past. Ive watched rugby league for nigh on 60 years and had a relative who was a touch judge. I dont think verbal abuse of officials is noticeably worse now than in years gone by. Whether they also get on line abuse is another matter.

It has been, as you say, a long-held issue.

I think the online abuse is a huge issue and has naturally increased over time. The fact we have refs wearing head cams now is for no reason other than to cut out the misconduct of players towards match officials. 

I also think that these days there’s far more things folk could be doing with their time and when it comes to a choice between getting a load of flack or doing something else, I’d imagine it is an increasingly easy decision to make.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

The abuse was bad enough when I refereed and touch judged but it is significantly worse now especially the higher up the pyramid you go. Some of the current top referees have received death threats in the last couple of seasons. Would you encourage your son/ daughter to pick up the whistle against that backdrop?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Wonder why the sport is having trouble with numbers of match officials available.

How many games are played over the weekend, 4 divisions of NCL, regional leagues, youth, junior and how many match officials are there?

There is a lot of people who bemoan the move to Summer Rugby, saying there are so many other distractions which lead to player's missing games, Holiday's, Weddings, Stag do's, her indoors wanting to do other things, taking the kids out, etc etc, these very same things also apply to match officials.

15 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

I went to a very entertaining and enjoyable  game at Mayfield Sport Centre yesterday NCL Premiership Rochdale Mayfield V Egremont Rangers, To my surprise the match was played without Touch Judges, just a ref (with a headcam) who had a good game as it turns out. 

RFL these young lads deserve better than this, the Amateur game is the lifeblood of RL, please help these Clubs.

Very surprised that a Premier Division NCL game only had one official, I have attended too many Premier games more than I care to remember and honestly can't every say I have ever only seen the one official at games in this league.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

Did it make you angry enough to train for a reffing badge and run the line in future ?

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Did it make you angry enough to train for a reffing badge and run the line in future ?

That's a pretty poor response mate. 

People are allowed to point out problems without having to necessarily fix them themselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's a pretty poor response mate. 

People are allowed to point out problems without having to necessarily fix them themselves.

Maybe Tommy....I am sensitive to it currently though ....

My kids soccer coach started the team 6 years ago - he does a fabulous voluntary job (organises matches, training, exrtra holidays trainings, sorts pitches , constantly on SPOND chasing people, helps lifts etc).

Recently he has two sets of parents newish to the team giving him verbal grief / anguish ....linked to the mums of the kids not getting enough time on the pitch (according to them) . The way they spoke to him was unbelievable....the 'expectation' of service wand entitlement is crazy...for a lovely bloke who gives a huge amount of time free for thier kid. These are two parents who NEVER arrive early to set up goals / pitch markings etc....leave as the coach and some of the parents do it (I do volunteer and help.him loads btw as well as making a point of giving him end of year presents etc)

Rambling ....but my point is that these 'voluntary' roles rely on exactly that...if people are not getting involved themself I struggle to see how they should be allowed to bemoan the lack of volunteers that helps they or their kids enjoy 

Maybe I'm wrong but as I say I am currently riled from the weekend

17 hours ago, JohnM said:

True...but I'm sure there are some posters on here who can make good refs and touch judges.

I have never and never will give stick to refs as a viewer of amateur sport (umpires on cricket too)....had the odd moment as a player but not too bad 

When watching top pro.sport I'd say I feel differently .....if I see a mistake I'm happy.to call it 

I'd never advocate abuse /personal stuff or swearing at refs.....a loud moan or boo though I'm not against (again in pro.sport.only)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

My kids soccer coach started the team 6 years ago - he does a fabulous voluntary job (organises matches, training, exrtra holidays trainings, sorts pitches , constantly on SPOND chasing people, helps lifts etc).

Recently he has two sets of parents newish to the team giving him verbal grief / anguish ....linked to the mums of the kids not getting enough time on the pitch (according to them) . The way they spoke to him was unbelievable....the 'expectation' of service wand entitlement is crazy...for a lovely bloke who gives a huge amount of time free for thier kid. These are two parents who NEVER arrive early to set up goals / pitch markings etc....leave as the coach and some of the parents do it (I do volunteer and help.him loads btw as well as making a point of giving him end of year presents etc)

Rambling ....but my point is that these 'voluntary' roles rely on exactly that...if people are not getting involved themself I struggle to see how they should be allowed to bemoan the lack of volunteers that helps they or their kids enjoy 

I think you're more aligned with the OP than you think?

25 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Did it make you angry enough to train for a coaching badge and become the coach in future ?

1 hour ago, Click said:

Did it make you angry enough to train for a coaching badge and become the coach in future ?

Don't need the badge - all the dads take it in turn to regularly do the linesman job at matches if one of the other dads isn't already doing it  ....the coach of each team referees usually - it's under 12s 

In addition for the team I ....

- Wheel the goals out and help set them up - probably 20 minutes job each training and home match at the begining and end 

- Mark out the pitch for all pre home games . 30 minute job night before game 

- I coordinate the home pitch liaison with schools (ongoing in year and lengthy)

- Collect and drop offs in my own car for kids who can't get a lift (usually two at least a week)

- Take orders for all kit, order the personalisation, sort money and deliveries ...(Hours and hours that takes through preseason)

-Step in as assistant coach when the coach/ assistant away ...in reality I am not a soccer man so it's setting up cones etc

Overall - I do plenty to support / volunteer in the amateur game my kids are involved in ....I practice what I preach 

And yes if the main coach/assistant  were to leave I strongly suspect I would need to take the badges and do that myself ....and I would unflinchingly 

On a separate note I watch amateur RL down here and there regularly isnt always a Linesmen.....I have never once moaned about it......partly as I am aware I would be a very good candidate to do it myself if I wasn't committed to my kids activities 

I have stated on here before when I retire I fully intend to get my RL badges and ref at the weekends (truthfully)

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I have never and never will give stick to refs as a viewer of amateur sport (umpires on cricket too)....had the odd moment as a player but not too bad 

When watching top pro.sport I'd say I feel differently .....if I see a mistake I'm happy.to call it 

I'd never advocate abuse /personal stuff or swearing at refs.....a loud moan or boo though I'm not against (again in pro.sport.only)

Well said. There are some in here who are in  perpetuum mobile when it comes implying refs are prejudiced or biased depending on the teams or decisions. It's those who I'm sure will be keen to train as match officials. I would do it, but I'm too old and too useless, and not licenced to carry a side-arm.

• Like 1

No touch judges brings back some memories.We had a home supporter running one side and a supporter from the away side the orher.Needless to say you could get away with owt near one touchline but at the other had to behave like an angel.Which with most of the lads playing on either side was difficult to say the least.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I originally posted this because one of the Mayfield tries late on in the game looked to be extremely close to the line where I was, Im 67 and have run a line for football matches back in the day, Run and me are strangers now,  A fellow pensioner at the game had told me on the day that Egremont Rangers were one of the oldest established Rugby League Teams, one of their players got sledged by a small group of the Mayfield youth, some who were actually playing the day after...It was not  pleasant nor warranted for even though they lost the Egremont lads played the game hard but fair, I was NOT going to correct the young group of mates anytime soon by the way.

I was surprised that the two teams didnt run a line apiece in the spirit of the game, Its a worry to me where our fine game is heading.

Edited by eclecticsheep