TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
814 replies to this topic

#541 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've been moving steadily towards cheaper cuts of better-quality meat in my diet. They take longer to make good, but the results are worth it. With suppliers like Donald Russell, you might wince at the cost of, say, a beef steak or joint, but cuts like cheek, tail, rib trim are well priced and delicious. Last time I had a fillet steak, I appreciated the tenderness, but was disappointed by the lack of deep beef flavour.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#542 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Pom Bears are immense.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#543 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Keelham Farm Beer Festival, tomorrow.

BD13 3SS

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#544 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

I quite like Nigel Slater's shows.

Now that Greg Wallace .... I could only warm to him if I had a flat iron handy.

He knocks some decent stuff out
But he seems lonely
He seems to be always making supper for one
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#545 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

I've been moving steadily towards cheaper cuts of better-quality meat in my diet. They take longer to make good, but the results are worth it. With suppliers like Donald Russell, you might wince at the cost of, say, a beef steak or joint, but cuts like cheek, tail, rib trim are well priced and delicious. Last time I had a fillet steak, I appreciated the tenderness, but was disappointed by the lack of deep beef flavour.

I'm going in the other direction: I'm teaching myself to cook steak properly

I get a bit irritated by the patronising attitude of people on tv who say that people on a limited budget should buy cheap meat forgetting that cooking the stuff knocks hell out if a limited energy bill

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 01 August 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Keeping it local

#546 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

I get a bit irritated by the patronising attitude of people on tv who say that people on a limited budget should buy cheap meat forgetting that cooking the stuff knocks hell out if a limited energy bill

I don't think choosing cheap cuts should be limited to people on a tight budget, and a slow cooker uses about as much electricity as a filament lightbulb.

As for cooking steak, try Heston Blumenthal's method of flipping it every 15-20 seconds. It gives good results, and never forget to let the meat come up to room temperature before cooking and to rest it afterwards before eating.

Edited by Futtocks, 01 August 2013 - 12:17 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#547 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Maybe they should learn to collect wood and cook on a real fire, or dig fire pits. ;)

#548 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't think choosing cheap cuts should be limited to people on a tight budget, and a slow cooker uses about as much electricity as a filament lightbulb.

As for cooking steak, try Heston Blumenthal's method of flipping it every 15-20 seconds. It gives good results, and never forget to let the meat come up to room temperature before cooking and to rest it afterwards before eating.

I'm a big fan of ol' Heston and I've done that technique of taking it out of the wrapping and let it sit on a wire rack in the fridge for two days and then frying it intensely for 20 seconds at a time. It's really good. Although it helps it you start with the best cut you can afford first.

I found when it comes to letting meat rest a while, it will cool down, but it's a piping hot sauce/gravy/butter that warms it up again.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#549 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm a big fan of ol' Heston and I've done that technique of taking it out of the wrapping and let it sit on a wire rack in the fridge for two days and then frying it intensely for 20 seconds at a time. It's really good. Although it helps it you start with the best cut you can afford first.

I found when it comes to letting meat rest a while, it will cool down, but it's a piping hot sauce/gravy/butter that warms it up again.

I wrap it in foil to rest, and keep it on a rack over the (still hot, but off the hob) pan.

#550 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I wrap it in foil to rest, and keep it on a rack over the (still hot, but off the hob) pan.

I was tempted to try his 60deg chicken recipe, low and slow, but everyone else is a bit squeamish and I couldn't find a chicken small enough for one!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#551 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

I agree with you
I'm a long and slow fan

As for the steak that's pretty much what I do
I get my meat from this place in Sheffield that you have to be a member of and you can only join if you are a public servant some good gear and very cheap
Keeping it local

#552 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Maybe they should learn to collect wood and cook on a real fire, or dig fire pits. ;)

I occassionally do
Keeping it local

#553 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I agree with you
I'm a long and slow fan

I get my meat from this place in Sheffield that you have to be a member of and you can only join if you are a public servant some good gear and very cheap

That's a bit too League of Gentleman for my liking. Hilary's special stuff.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#554 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

I ate at the Caddy Mann restaurant the other day. Extremely good food - I had fricassée of squirrel!

#555 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

A girl called Jack.

Some of you may have heard about this fine young woman on the radio, or read about her and her blog about poverty, food poverty, politics and other things.

http://agirlcalledja...0/hunger-hurts/

Moving stuff.

#556 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

There's a good little video on the Donald Russell website that shows how to cook steak (well one way of cooking steak). I got some steaks off them when they were doing one of their many 'special offers' and have to say it was rather good.

I have recently found a local butcher who can tell me exactly which farm his meat comes from (and sounds convincing so probably isn't talking BS) and has some nice cuts at decent prices. Always big queues there so he must be doing something right.

#557 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I agree with you
I'm a long and slow fan

Sounds like Costco

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#558 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

I agree with you
I'm a long and slow fan

The missus' brother lives in Sheffield and absolutely swears by the Real Meat company.
Fides invicta triumphat

#559 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like Costco

No but costco's meat isn't to be sniffed at
Keeping it local

#560 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

No but costco's meat isn't to be sniffed at

A bit like the mutt's nu................

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users