Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Quins..

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I have heard that quins are to play at least two games at MK Dons next season. Someone else also very close to Red Hall said they will re locate to there.

#2 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Agbrigg @ Jul 17 2010, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I have heard that quins are to play at least two games at MK Dons next season. Someone else also very close to Red Hall said they will re locate to there.

if they was to move to Mlton Keynes it would mean yet another name change, but unless they spend a lot more on marketing would there be a rise in gates?

#3 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Jul 17 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if they was to move to Mlton Keynes it would mean yet another name change, but unless they spend a lot more on marketing would there be a rise in gates?

MK Quins?

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (PREPOSTEROUS @ Jul 17 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MK Quins?

MK Bronco's ?
MK Crusader's?

#5 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Jul 17 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MK Bronco's ?
MK Crusader's?

MK Rolling Stones. Sets up a perfect sponsorship opportunity.

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Jul 17 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MK Crusader's?

Already taken.

Would really like to see the Quins name droppped. I understand there was a financial imperative when they first jumped into bed there but, now that they're being charged rent etc, I don't see what they gain from the link-up and still believe that the name is counter-productive and stops rugby league from developing its own identity.

That said, I hope they can remain in London. Would love to see New River Stadium (or somewhere similar) developed as a hub for RL in the capital but it's an unrealistic proposition so it may be that another rented football ground beckons (ideally QPR or Fulham!)

#7 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Jul 17 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Already taken.

Would really like to see the Quins name droppped. I understand there was a financial imperative when they first jumped into bed there but, now that they're being charged rent etc, I don't see what they gain from the link-up and still believe that the name is counter-productive and stops rugby league from developing its own identity.

That said, I hope they can remain in London. Would love to see New River Stadium (or somewhere similar) developed as a hub for RL in the capital but it's an unrealistic proposition so it may be that another rented football ground beckons (ideally QPR or Fulham!)

would certainly in my opinion get better gates at QPR or Fulham, but then we have the small problem of the rent of these grounds.

#8 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Interesting idea about leaving the Stoop and relocating to Stadium MK which holds 28k and is an all seater bowl.

It would mean only mean one club playing in London though.

Is that a big enough sacrifice to see Fulham mark .8 succeed in the new territory of MK?

#9 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Oxford would be more logical due to Leneghan being a shareholder at the soccer club there. But Milton Keynes could work too, anywhere's got to be better than West London though

#10 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

Games at Stadium MK and Regents Park next year will certainly expose the brand around the south. Can only be a positive for RL.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#11 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

MK is a horrible stadium on an industrial park, with virtually no pubs within walking distance.

As a culture, it is about as far from Rugby League's as I can imagine, and I include Twickenham in that.
People called Romans they go the house

#12 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

have to stay in london for me..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#13 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Jul 17 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have to stay in london for me..

Absolutely.

#14 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Jul 17 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oxford would be more logical due to Leneghan being a shareholder at the soccer club there. But Milton Keynes could work too, anywhere's got to be better than West London though

If a buyer doesn't come forward to take over from Leneghan and he buys the ground in Oxford it would seem logical. Not great for Rugby League in London but would be an interesting opportunity for the game in Oxford.

#15 skep155

skep155
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Think moving out of London could be the best thing that happens to them. There's only one top flight Union team in London and that's Quin's, the others play in Wycombe, Watford and Reading. By moving out of London they could emulate the success of London Irish, who do well for themselves in a large soccer stadium.

#16 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

There was talk of Quins RL playing at the olympic stadium after the 2012 Olympics, but haven't heard anything of late.
if that did happen they could call themselves London Olympians Rugby League Club. a big plus for Rugby League IMHO which would make more people aware that Rugby League is played in London at the olympic stadium.

#17 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Jul 17 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was talk of Quins RL playing at the olympic stadium after the 2012 Olympics, but haven't heard anything of late.
if that did happen they could call themselves London Olympians Rugby League Club. a big plus for Rugby League IMHO which would make more people aware that Rugby League is played in London at the olympic stadium.

I personally like the name the Olympic Lions if the London club ever moved into the 2012 stadium.

#18 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

Milton Keynes is still too far from the M62.

They should follow Crusaders example and relocate to Chester or thereabouts. sleep.gif

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (PREPOSTEROUS @ Jul 17 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally like the name the Olympic Lions if the London club ever moved into the 2012 stadium.

huh.gif

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Jul 17 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It won't fly. People would confuse them with another Super League franchise -- Toulouse Olympique -- who may drop out of the Championship in 2011 so as to qualify for a Super League license under the category of a "foreign club invited."

Edited by ParisSurtout, 17 July 2010 - 10:30 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users