Hey, were on the telly!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

Finally got to watch the Cup Final yesterday and saw a couple of mates, fortysomething professionals, doing the classic excitably pointing at the screen thing as they saw themselves

Over the years I guess most of us will have caught a brief glimpse of ourslves on the telly.

GB v NZ at Blackburn made me realise how white my hair had gone.

Any anecdotes?

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

I can't recall ever seeing myself on telly although I was once in a Premiership final programme in the background of a shot of Knocker Norton at Headingley.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

1986 premiership final at Elland Rd.
I was seen laughing at Bob Jackon's try from the classic set piece, "the miss-kicked drop goal attempt".
A guy I took was waving his arms manically next to me at the time, dunno why, there was no big screen in them days.
Still got that on video obviously, treasured game, until recent years.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#4 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

Not me, but then I'm usually on the same side as the cameras - and before anyone says, it is not me screaming like a banshee to gerrem onside. Tends to be away crowds I spot people. Came close myself in Warrington, but was covered by someone else

Seen quite a few others though, and always have a looksie

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#5 davo99

davo99
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

I've never been caught (always buried at the back somewhere) but for a period of 4 years or so my daughter was on at least once during every tv game, has been in the local rag on numerous occaissions, is in Longy's book and has appeared on the cover of a couple of books about saints.

We used to joke that she got more coverage than the team

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

9th July 1988 - looking calm and assured amidst a sea of confusion.

sleep.gif

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#7 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

Too many times to count, I sit a few rows directly behind a black bloke in the East Stand who is mad as a hatter and therefore gets picked up on Sky at least once a game after we score. I don't know whether its intentional to show the game as multi-cultural or just because he goes crazy, but they seem to zoom in on him a lot.

Edited by giwildgo, 05 September 2010 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#8 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

thought it was funny when hanleys girlfriend spotted herself on the big screen, she started making a grab for hanley then realised she was on telly and tried to look cool about it laugh.gif

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#9 hunsletgiant

hunsletgiant
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

made my tv debut back in 1997 against Hull Sharks. My most recent was celebrating beating Saints at Warrington last year.

My mate Tansey is on everytime Huddersfield are on sky. Hes the middle aged bloke who wears the claret and gold arabic hat. Im sure he has a contract withtem.

#10 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Sep 5 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1986 premiership final at Elland Rd.
I was seen laughing at Bob Jackon's try from the classic set piece, "the miss-kicked drop goal attempt".
A guy I took was waving his arms manically next to me at the time, dunno why, there was no big screen in them days.
Still got that on video obviously, treasured game, until recent years.

Just watched it again.
5 yd offsides, "scrums", no video ref.
Quite a contrast to today, never mind me being only 25 then. wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

I saw myself in the crowd watching the highlights of the last GB test at Wigan a few years back.

I made a crisp advert years ago when I was working in Thailand, so I've seen myself (or more correctly half my head) on telly before.

#12 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

tv? There was a GB test match many years ago at Headingley and they were interviewing a player live (so no chance to edit) and I walked past and waved at the camera and then did it again about 5 times...well I thought it was funny but all seems so juvenile now!

#13 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

I was on the opening credits of grandstand every week for about a year in the mid 80s - jumping up and down in delight as Ronnie Duane dived over the line at Knowsley Road. I must have been about 14 or so.

(I remember when we used to actually win there.)

There was also a close up shot of me and my Aussie mate at Huddersfield during the famous world cup semi - I was waving a Wales flag and my mate an Australian one. Stevo then commented on "Wales and Australia fans standing side by side".

Incidentally before that match I printed out dozens of lyric sheets with the Welsh national anthem written phonetically and handed them around the crowd before the game. It sounded ace as I recall biggrin.gif

#14 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Too many to mention but there was one time at Hull. Karl Pryce had signed for Glawster so I put my Glawster RUFC shirt on. I think there was a minutes silence before the match and the camera scanned the crowd. Cue several texts saying "what are you doing wearing a Glawster shirt" and "are you at Hull?". Plus one saying "Oi Mortis, look behind you" only to see fellow Donkey Smiler stood just up from me.
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#15 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (Mortis @ Sep 5 2010, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Oi Mortis, look behind you" only to see fellow Donkey Smiler stood just up from me.

Another Donkey day out, England v France from Shedingley, many texts complementing my beret and home made tricolour flag

#16 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

I'm clearly visible twice in 'Another Bloody Sunday' - the bit where Donny come to Hornets in the cup. I knew that the cameras were going to be there, so I wore a red jacket in the hope that it'd be easier to spot. I'm seen gesticulating like a loony with my friend Mark, then seen running back from the tea bar. I was 15.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#17 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

I was right behind the camera when Dai Bishop was being interviewed at the end of Wales v PNG in 1991 - my second ever game. 19 years on and I'm still loving the sport.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#18 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:27 AM

I've been on loads - best was the first game at JJB when we knocked WIgan out of the Play offs - I had a HUGE black and amber checkered flag and was picked out of the crowd - that made it on the season review DVD also!

Been in the programme a few times and was also on a few times at Hull KR v Saints Premiership final in 1985 - the same day of the GOd awful Bradford City fire.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#19 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Sep 6 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been in the programme a few times and was also on a few times at Hull KR v Saints Premiership final in 1985 - the same day of the GOd awful Bradford City fire.

Ah - my ugly fizzog (and 'fizzique') apprears prominently in this week's 'Game On' matchday mag in the feature on supporters trusts/tag RL. I'm in the back row of last year's victorious Rochdale Swarm Tag team. At last, my career is recognised laugh.gif

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#20 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Sep 6 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah - my ugly fizzog (and 'fizzique') apprears prominently in this week's 'Game On' matchday mag in the feature on supporters trusts/tag RL. I'm in the back row of last year's victorious Rochdale Swarm Tag team. At last, my career is recognised laugh.gif

I feel I just have to follow you on Twitter now!!!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users