RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls Pledge Campaign

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

I think you misunderstand Parky. I think it's fine that the Bulls go and do some marketing in the Batley area. There is plenty of opportunity for cross-promotion between clubs. And this is also true between Superleague clubs.

Even in the most die-hard RL areas the proportion of people who attend matches is tiny. It is not a zero-sum game. If Bradford approach their promotional activity in Batley in the right way they can benefit both clubs and the game overall.

That's me.  I'm done.

#42 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 24 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For any combination of Batley or Dewsbury with Leeds or Bradford, it's got to be the way forward. The Superleague club can send squad players to the junior partner and each club can provide the other with additional spectators when fixtures dont clash and/or they are playing in London, Cumbria, France etc.

You mean like Jermain McGilivary, Alex Brown, Josh Griffin and numerous others that Huddersfield have loaned out to Batley.

The bulls have any other "new" ideas biggrin.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#43 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Sep 24 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cas were favourites with Wakey second favourites, then it was Salford, Quins and erm can't remember the fifth, it could have been Bradford .

Salford are building the ground, and Quins sorted themselves with the RFL. I only suspect Bradford were listed so Lobby could back them to go down.

Not to sound like an uppity Bradford fan on the backfoot - but it certainly wasn't Bradford who were listed. This board would have gone into meltdown if they had. tongue.gif
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#44 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Amber Avenger @ Sep 24 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to sound like an uppity Bradford fan on the backfoot - but it certainly wasn't Bradford who were listed. This board would have gone into meltdown if they had. tongue.gif

"Five engage Super League clubs clubs risk losing their licences if they do not deliver new or improved stadiums within the next two years. The five, who have received written warnings, are reported to be St Helens, Celtic Crusaders, Castleford Tigers, Salford City Reds and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, with the latter three clubs under particular threat".

This was the basis of the odds for losing the license (with the RFL stupidly? guaranteeing one would go no matter what).

No Bradford are not in there. I don't recall Saints or Crusaders in there in the recent publication of the odds.

There were five though, albeit three have physically started or started doing something about it hence Cas and Wakey were clear favourites in the last odds.

Again it's not really for this thread but imagine if Cas and Wakey were both building stadia and the RFL true to their promise booted one out.

They could hardly argue SL is better without two clubs next to each other if they then put Widnes in.

It seems the odds are based on facilities only. I would suppose if they all get the facilities the one to go could be cut on another criteria like they are skint. But that may lead back to Cas and Wakey again. Widnes of course are not skint.

HKR/Hudgell may be getting skint - I'd have a quid on them but they weren't listed......

#45 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (West Country Eagle @ Sep 23 2010, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, harsh. A bit naughty from the Bulls IMHO.

It does highlight the problems of having so many pro RL clubs close together - you're all chasing the same fans. RL strength is also it's weakness. It's easier for clubs in big cities (e.g Leeds), as there are plenty of places to promote. Bradford, Halifax etc are so close together it makes it tough.

Yes but Bullford are chasing flory hunting fans perhaps who want to see SL. Becuase of our numpty-ish lack of P&R, folk from these two areas may never see their town teams in SL again

This is one reason why I have disliked Bradford

RL is a ##### joke on this note

Perhaps Bradford could try locating this bus to erm....Bradford city centre and other areas of Bradford

#46 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

Personally as a Batley chappie i really dont see the issue, if youre a Batley fan you will watch Batley, if youre not then Bradford are giving you a very reasonably priced alternative.

Its all about freedom of choice and if you removed peoples freedom to choose you will have something to complain about and ill be on the same bus.

I dont remember this sort of hullabaloo when Dewsbury were virtually giving season tickets away

Edited by Gary Coyle, 24 September 2010 - 10:30 AM.

#47 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 24 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither Batley nor Dewsbury can sustain Superleague. What they ought to be doing is setting themselves up as partners to the Bulls or Rhinos, with offers on cheap joint-season tickets for fans. If they dont, the long term future will be grim.

If you're currently an unmarried or longstanding diehard Batley fan, you'll watch Batley come what may. However, if you have a family, no matter what Batley offer, there will be a big financial advantage in taking your family to Bradford under the new season ticket scheme. Those kids will grow up solely supporting the Bulls unless there is a joint Bulls-Batley marketing arrangement.

For any combination of Batley or Dewsbury with Leeds or Bradford, it's got to be the way forward. The Superleague club can send squad players to the junior partner and each club can provide the other with additional spectators when fixtures dont clash and/or they are playing in London, Cumbria, France etc.

Ho do you know they could not sustain SL, given a chance? I'm pretty sure a combined Batley/Dewsbury team would defo give SL a go if the fans wanted it (not sure if Batley/Dewsbury fans would prefer this or to be annually plundered by the handwavers)

I'll wager that many more SL players come from the Heavy Woollen area than Bradford

#48 obeone

obeone
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

They better not step into Keighley.

We have been s**t on by the Bulls too many times.

Hope the pledge fails and they fade away mad.gif

#49 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Sep 24 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps Bradford could try locating this bus to erm....Bradford city centre and other areas of Bradford

They are.

Happy to help. happy.gif

Edited by Amber Avenger, 24 September 2010 - 10:37 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#50 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Sep 24 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ho do you know they could not sustain SL, given a chance? I'm pretty sure a combined Batley/Dewsbury team would defo give SL a go if the fans wanted it (not sure if Batley/Dewsbury fans would prefer this or to be annually plundered by the handwavers)

A few years ago, Dewsbury reached a gf and stated, win-or-lose, they wouldn't be seeking Superleague status.

This season, after winning the National Rail Cup, Karl Harrison stated that Batley wouldn't either.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#51 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Lee @ Sep 24 2010, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean like Jermain McGilivary, Alex Brown, Josh Griffin and numerous others that Huddersfield have loaned out to Batley.

The bulls have any other "new" ideas biggrin.gif

Yes, wait for Ken Davy to pull his money out, then you can be a feeder club too.
wink.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#52 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Personally Batley,Dewbury,Hunslet,Keighley,Fax,Fev,Oldham etc need help from the RFL.What good does it do the game at the lower levels when SL clubs ignore the potential in their service area and go marketing for Rugby League fans in another service area.Bradford has a large population where the Bulls and the game have made no attempt to reach them.That should be Bradfords target not Batley,Keighley,Dewsbury etc.

Championship clubs are struggling as it is-not that the RFL or most SLfans care. The clubs in this weekends Grand Finals are doing loads of marketing and great work selling tickets etc.Selling the tickets for the RFL the clubs get no money.No gate receiptsat all, just the prize money. Why should championship clubs not receive any money? How can championship clubs properly promote themselves against SL clubs when the RFL are not treating all clubs fairly? Maybe because the RFL want championship clubs to become feeder clubd and so do not care ig Bradford promote themselves right in the face of a small championship club

#53 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Sep 24 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. How do you know they could not sustain SL, given a chance?

2. I'm pretty sure a combined Batley/Dewsbury team would defo give SL a go if the fans wanted it (not sure if Batley/Dewsbury fans would prefer this or to be annually plundered by the handwavers)

3. I'll wager that many more SL players come from the Heavy Woollen area than Bradford

1. Because they have no money to do so.

2. Batley have no money for SL, Dewsbury have no money for SL so 2 x nothing is nothing. Anyway if you are arguing mergers then get together with Wigan and you will get the SL rugby you crave.

3. Yes and there's much more interest in RL in the heavy woolen area therefore Bradford have parked their marketing bus there and sent their scouts there. Why would they send them to Bingley???

4. If the fans don't want a merger then they can have what they have now and it doesn't make any difference that the Bulls marketing bus is outside the grounds.

If the fans do want a merger then why not all three - Bulls are short on quality kids coming through and short on fans - makes sense all round wink.gif

#54 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Lounge Room Lizard @ Sep 24 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally Batley,Dewbury,Hunslet,Keighley,Fax,Fev,Oldham etc need help from the RFL.What good does it do the game at the lower levels when SL clubs ignore the potential in their service area and go marketing for Rugby League fans in another service area.Bradford has a large population where the Bulls and the game have made no attempt to reach them.That should be Bradfords target not Batley,Keighley,Dewsbury etc.

Championship clubs are struggling as it is-not that the RFL or most SLfans care. The clubs in this weekends Grand Finals are doing loads of marketing and great work selling tickets etc.Selling the tickets for the RFL the clubs get no money.No gate receiptsat all, just the prize money. Why should championship clubs not receive any money? How can championship clubs properly promote themselves against SL clubs when the RFL are not treating all clubs fairly? Maybe because the RFL want championship clubs to become feeder clubd and so do not care ig Bradford promote themselves right in the face of a small championship club

One of the things they could do, and one of the things the more successful Championship clubs have done, is to quit whinging.

All professional RL clubs are in the entertainment business. Do you think the way to attract new customers is whinge about how unfair it all is, to tell everyone who might be tempted to come along to a game to not bother because it's all a disgrace?

Absolutely without exception the successful clubs in SL or the National Leagues have attracted more support and been successful by being open, outward looking and positive. The moment they have turned inwards into bitterness against their fellow clubs and the RFL they have started on a downward spiral that some have never recovered from.

PS, I do care and so do many other SL fans. So feck off with your self-pitying.

Edited by Steve May, 24 September 2010 - 11:01 AM.

That's me.  I'm done.

#55 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Lounge Room Lizard @ Sep 24 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.Bradford has a large population where the Bulls and the game have made no attempt to reach them.That should be Bradfords target not Batley,Keighley,Dewsbury etc.

Prove that Bradford have made "no attempt" to reach the population of the district (which includes Keighley, btw - so you concur Bradford are OK to looks for fans in Keighley - good man) or I will have to label you a liar.

Clue: they have made a lot of effort.

I am sick and tired of saying - Odsal is at the very southern tip of the Brad met area, and therefore of the artificial Service Area. You can hear the tannoys from Odsal in Kirklees if the wind is in the right direction, and you can walk to Calderdale in half an hour from Odsal. Much of the Odsal - and Bulls - hinterland is across the boundary. Why the hell should the Bulls be precluded from promoting themselves more than a mile from their stadium?

You do not insist that Leeds do not market themselves in south or west Leeds, where the local clubs are Hunslet and Bramley. Please explain whay this does not make you a hypocrite?

Edited by Adeybull, 24 September 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#56 Bulligerent

Bulligerent
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Sep 24 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prove that Bradford have made "no attempt" to reach the population of the district (which includes Keighley, btw - so you concur Bradford are OK to looks for fans in Keighley - good man) or I will have to label you a liar.

Clue: they have made a lot of effort.

I am sick and tired of saying - Odsal is at the very southern tip of the Brad met area, and therefore of the artificial Service Area. You can hear the tannoys from Odsal in Kirklees if the wind is in the right direction, and you can walk to Calderdale in half an hour from Odsal. Much of the Odsal - and Bulls - hinterland is across the boundary. Why the hell should the Bulls be precluded from promoting themselves more than a mile from their stadium?

You do not insist that Leeds do not market themselves in south or west Leeds, where the local clubs are Hunslet and Bramley. Please explain whay this does not make you a hypocrite?

Thanks Adey, you beat me to it and i couldn't have said it better myself. Yet more lazy, unsubstantiated muck-throwing from someone who can't even be bothered to do a bit of research - although, that would probably be because he knows it would totally counter his point.

#57 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Sep 24 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the things they could do, and one of the things the more successful Championship clubs have done, is to quit whinging.

Thanks for the pat on the head.

#58 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Sep 24 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Because they have no money to do so.

2. Batley have no money for SL, Dewsbury have no money for SL so 2 x nothing is nothing. Anyway if you are arguing mergers then get together with Wigan and you will get the SL rugby you crave.

3. Yes and there's much more interest in RL in the heavy woolen area therefore Bradford have parked their marketing bus there and sent their scouts there. Why would they send them to Bingley???

4. If the fans don't want a merger then they can have what they have now and it doesn't make any difference that the Bulls marketing bus is outside the grounds.

If the fans do want a merger then why not all three - Bulls are short on quality kids coming through and short on fans - makes sense all round wink.gif

1. Well if they went up, they'd have a slice of the SL cake for starters, so to say no money is wrong

2. Most SL clubs have no money themselves. They are propped up usually by one very wealthy individual. How do you know that a millioniare would not come out of the woodwork (there is no chance of this happening now in the lower tiers as there is no clear route for a millionaire to see his club in SL - too big a risk)

3. I think you are tying to rile me up tongue.gif

4. If Bradford are short of quality kids they really ought not to be in SL

#59 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Sep 24 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<snip>

Is there a daily schedule for where the bus goes? biggrin.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#60 Bulligerent

Bulligerent
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Sep 24 2010, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Well if they went up, they'd have a slice of the SL cake for starters, so to say no money is wrong

2. Most SL clubs have no money themselves. They are propped up usually by one very wealthy individual. How do you know that a millioniare would not come out of the woodwork (there is no chance of this happening now in the lower tiers as there is no clear route for a millionaire to see his club in SL - too big a risk)

3. I think you are tying to rile me up tongue.gif

4. If Bradford are short of quality kids they really ought not to be in SL

And indeed, if that were to be the case, we would not be. Sadly for you and others, it isn't the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users